5 tips every new Linux user should know

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Linux is a powerful operating system, but chances are it's a very different operating system than any you've used before. The dizzying number of choices in distributions alone is enough to make your head spin, but it also means there's something out there that really suits your computing style. There are some things in Linux you just have to work out for yourself -- distributions, applications, neato screen savers (hey, we like distractions as much as the next guy).

We're taking a departure from the norm this week and not discussing a specific piece of software. Instead, we've been thinking about what we most wished we'd been told on our first foray into Linux-land. These tips run the gamut from installation planning to how to best ask for help. We chose these tips because they are not distribution-specific, and the majority of new users will at least find a few tips apply to their situation at some point.
1. Experiment with LiveCDs
2. Install /home on a separate partition
3. When in doubt, use the vesa drivers!
4. Fear not the command line.
5. Ask for help before you get frustrated.
read full artilce:
*www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01/03/flipping-the-linux-switch-5-tips-every-new-linux-user-should-kn/

awesomeo

Broken In
I'd like to add one more:

Make sure that you configure internet before attempting to do anything else (so that you can Ask for help before you get frustrated)

Vivek788

In the zone
well........abt the last one....many of digit members might have noticed me asking for help in 2-3 places...and have not yet received answers...i searched the net high and low....no solution...at least tell me what the faults are....

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^the most efficient solution is to try IRC @freenode for solutions.not every one knows whole solutions!so other members are not answering!
and had ur problems solved?

x3060

A LOTR fan
No.1 point led to my downfall....:-D
my hdd partitions are in the verge of "breaking point".
regardless , i wil stick with point 1 for some more time...:)

ankushkool

Youngling
i want 2 try out LINUX as my college comp use it... which linux 2 go 4... is ububtu good??? i need bacis apps like 'gedit', 'xfig', etc...

my coll uses Fedora...
plez help
thanx

Last edited:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
5. a) Post your problem at linuxquestions.org before asking help on irc or other forums including this one.
Chances are you will get your solution there way faster and better.

Everything I know about Linux, I owe it those guys there!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
5. a) Post your problem at linuxquestions.org before asking help on irc or other forums including this one.
Chances are you will get your solution there way faster and better.

Everything I know about Linux, I owe it those guys there!
wat bout ubuntu forums, i dont even hav to ask, just search there and 99% times the solution is already posted :D

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
ubuntu forums is no more locked to Ubuntu distro.acc to FOSS spirit,it includes support for every distro and have separat
e section for Fedora et al.
even got a section for winblow$ and mac :)

I am a member on lq.org for long time.but I feel that forum is stagnent for sometime.now as the poll is open lq invites more users.

still Ubuntuforums is the best way!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Another way is to install it on your pen drive. I am at the moment trying out Ubuntu 7.10 on my pen drive. Its slow to boot initially but runs ok later. There is a persistent option to save your changes, and a live option.

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9472/pubthefuture2cisopen466cr4.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom