5.1 Speakers dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
16 to 18..boy this is going to be good...

please do prove..its 20k here.....u see wat i mean....

OP
sagardani

sagardani

Lost in LOST
^^^ What will you suggest between 5051 and Sony HT and why? I saw yest demo of it and I found subwoofer underpowered. 140w compared to 142w for satellites. But the punch in the sound was awesome. The reason I asked this because commonly its observed that- subwoofer rms > centre channel > front and rear satellites. Is this a typical format?

But in case of sony, its opposite, all 5 speakers have same rms (142w) and sub has 140w... Why this is so?

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
But my question is again different. How can Sony give 850w speakers + DVD player just for 15k when other dedicated PC speakers like z5500 with 505w cost 28k...!

Ok, i visited the Sony World today. My frnd was in lookout for a good LCD! anyways, i found some time to check out DAV-DZ series. I checked out all these three DZ models, i.e. DZ111,DZ230 and DZ270. Ok, talking about technical specifications, even i asked the first thing about the whopping 850W RMS power! The Sony guy told me that the 850W RMS isnt the continuous power. Now, i want all of u 2 take a note here. Z5500 and even Megaworks or other good systems out there has continuous power rating. See, what he told me...."850W is the total power of the system. Only 10% is the actual RMS!" :D :p Lets leave the technical jargons. Time to listen the system. So, what to say about that. As i already said, its Sony! ;) The technology in itself is really amazing. Somehow, the S-Digital Amp managed to save the day. I must say! The DA converter and DSP were very effective in their processing. Secondly, credits to Auto calibration feature. The sound was very well produced and surround effect was quite good. Ok, coming to frequency response and musical experience, i must say, speakers arent that good. Infact, my MMS430 response felt better than them! :D See, this is where the difference is set. Its true, that u need to have that kinda experience or simply a professional like my frnd who works with "HDM" to detect such minute details. DZ series is mostly meant for Budget buyers, who expect good tag name with acceptable performance while watching movies. Now, see the "acceptable" word varies from ppl to ppl. If, u've heard audiophile speakers like Bose, B&W, Onkyo or Yamaha, u can immediately pick the difference! And if u havent and just like the mainstream indian buyers, u'll be impressed and start bragging the SONY name! :D
Ok, by saying that, i dont mean that products from Sony/Creative/Logitech are one and the same. See, good things always come with some price. That u should accept easily! right? MHC-GN/HT or Z5500 or Megaworks or Gigawokrs or FX series are among the top of the line products from Sony ,Logitech, Creative and Altec Lansing respectively! Its just u ought to have that kind of experience and good knowledge to judge things better. :)
And ohh..my frnd somehow managed to select Sony KLV-52X350A(HD 1080p) model during my annoying argument session with that Sony Guy! :)
Anyways, we left the showroom with a weird smile on our faces and quite convinced with what we have!! :D :D

And
Is there way to convert mkv to DivX by maintaining visual quality and 5.1 ? Converting to DVD (means MPEG-2 right?) is better or DivX (i.e avi)?

Conversion to DivX:
Here
Here
Conversion to DVD:
Here
DVD Santa v4 is good for conversion. Just make sure, u have right version and all the necessary codecs including MKVExtractGUI! WinAvi is also good. However, its not free.

@topic,
anyhow..i believe the choice should be simpler by now! Dont think plugging Sony DZ speakers with ur PC can reproduce good sound as 5051 can with PC. PC speakers are manufactured considering their Gaming,Musical or Movies playing capabilities. Hence, the major changes are reflected on frequency response and ranges. Thats why, u've to believe ur ears more than the tagnames and price! Right?
IMO, 5051 should be the choice! :)

Last edited:
OP
sagardani

sagardani

Lost in LOST
Ok, talking about technical specifications, even i asked the first thing about the whopping 850W RMS power! The Sony guy told me that the 850W RMS isnt the continuous power. Now, i want all of u 2 take a note here. Z5500 and even Megaworks or other good systems out there has continuous power rating. See, what he told me...."850W is the total power of the system. Only 10% is the actual RMS!"
Thanks Mayank bhai...! This is the answer I was expecting. So 850/10=85 must be the actual power. Btw continuous means what exactly dude?

DZ series is mostly meant for Budget buyers, who expect good tag name with acceptable performance while watching movies. Now, see the "acceptable" word varies from ppl to ppl. If, u've heard audiophile speakers like Bose, B&W, Onkyo or Yamaha, u can immediately pick the difference! And if u havent and just like the mainstream indian buyers, u'll be impressed and start bragging the SONY name! :D
Agree man...!

See, good things always come with some price. That u should accept easily! right?
Again agree. Right. "Price shows quality" (guess its always true).

And ohh..my frnd somehow managed to select Sony KLV-52X350A(HD 1080p) model during my annoying argument session with that Sony Guy! :)
Great buddy... How much from the pocket?

@topic,
anyhow..i believe the choice should be simpler by now! Dont think plugging Sony DZ speakers with ur PC can reproduce good sound as 5051 can with PC. PC speakers are manufactured considering their Gaming,Musical or Movies playing capabilities. Hence, the major changes are reflected on frequency response and ranges. Thats why, u've to believe ur ears more than the tagnames and price! Right?
IMO, 5051 should be the choice! :)
All right. I want for movies and music (movies matter more). So I make a shortlist of available options.

*Sony DaVZ270
*AL Fx5051
*Logi Z5300/G51

I heard the Sony DAV-Z570 yestday. Same features as 270 only the front satellites have stand. So I got idea about 270. They are indeed impressive at first glance. you said sony won't produce good sound on PC as dedicated PC speaker. Are u sure man? But if thats so, I've to connect sony to TV (as thats what for its made). And have to convert every mkv (720p) file into DivX:oops:! Buying it right now won't be good idea. My idea of HT is like- a great speakers set + full HDTV. DAV-270 aren't great speakers according to me and + shelling out 4-5k for 'so-called' progressive DVD player is not worth right now. I guess Blue-ray players will be mainstream in India by 2010. So time being I find its worth going for dedicated PC speakers. ANd later directly shift on Blue-ray and full HDTV. As also my work is related to sound too! (not a pro sound editor, but little bit of it). So I'll need 5.1 speakers on PC today or tomorrow. My this purchase is not just for entertainment. And 1080p HTDVs are right now way out of budget and blue-ray is not easily available. Till then 12k for PC speakers will be good investment I guess.
Now, out of Logi and AL, I think Mayank is on Logi's side and sam9s is on AL. sam's explanation of AL is quite convincing. As you said Mayank, u've to believe ur ears more than the tagnames and price! So I'll first listen to them. And then take decesion.

Last edited:

Rockstar11

Technomancer
All right. I want for movies and music (movies matter more). So I make a shortlist of available options.

*Sony DaVZ270
*AL Fx5051
*Logi Z5300/G51

Logi Z5300 (THX = Movie)
AL Fx5051 ( dual drivers in every satellite = Music)

Go for Logitech Z5300, little bro of Z5500D :D

*youtube.com/watch?v=FXhYueJoEFo&feature=related :lol:

Last edited:

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@sagar,
Continuous Power refers to the ability of a receiver or amplifier to output its full power continuously at any moment or sound level! :)
That 1080p thingy cost a massive 1.35 lacs inclusive everything! :D
see, if buying pc 5.1 system is ur main priority leave Sony!
Choose wisely between Z5500 and FX5051! Btw, Z5500 price also constitutes amazing logitech sound decoder bundled as accessories. However, i would again say the same thing...the RMS difference these two systems is huge.
So, sure...go on listen them!
Make sure, u've right set of songs to judge everything!
For instance, just take Coldplay's Sparks and DreamLand from AyLa!! Actually, these songs are the ones which i often use to sort my best pick!! ;)

OP
sagardani

sagardani

Lost in LOST
see, if buying pc 5.1 system is ur main priority leave Sony!
Choose wisely between Z5500 and FX5051! Btw, Z5500 price also constitutes amazing logitech sound decoder bundled as accessories. However, i would again say the same thing...the RMS difference these two systems is huge.
So, sure...go on listen them!
Make sure, u've right set of songs to judge everything!
For instance, just take Coldplay's Sparks and DreamLand from AyLa!! Actually, these songs are the ones which i often use to sort my best pick!! ;)
Yeah buying a 5.1 sys for PC is my main priority. Sony is good for those who want budget DVD HT for their TV/HDTV.
Btw z55500 is out budget man. Costs around 20-22 here at Pune. I was thinking of Logi z5300 which costs almost same as 5051. So I'll first listen to them.

@Mayank and sam:
Btw have you personally heard either of them (5300 or 5051)??

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
i heard both of them abt 2 weeks backk...went to buy a head phone..but couldnt resist it....

BELIEVE ME ...z5300 will blow the knickers off from 5051....coz..logitech is all abt the bass and sound....

but if u prefer vocals i thinks fx5051 will suffice..or if u gt money go for z5300...

i personally waiting for my savings to go up for z5500..hehhe

OP
sagardani

sagardani

Lost in LOST
My dear friend....:), Audio Hardware is my hobby, and I am pretty enthusiastic about Hollywood Movies, How can I suggest something so convincingly without even listening. I have listened not only these two but loads n loads of other spks and audio hardware. It kinda my hobby. Believe me its my dream/aim to build an entire Audio/Video Room with my elite hardware with complete movie and gaming experience..... :)

PS :: Along with a small popcorn and a soda maker too..:D

mmm since you have listened to both what your sincere comment on the [/b]clearity[/b] part. Mind you not the loudness n bass but particularly crispness on low acceptable volume. I know 5300 volume is huge, but as I said misses out on the clearity part.
I wish ur dream come true..... Don't forget to invite me~:cool: Imagine man... the experience one gets by films like LOTR trilogy in HD on a complete HT and 1080p LCD TV...:p F*** the popcorn and soda!!:D

Comin to the point-
Having a demo is I guess the only way to select one out of them.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
@royal...chk some more places out...its phased out for only abt 1 month or so...here in tvm they had 3 peices left.i know coz they are trying to sell it to me...hehhehe...but i ordered z5500..waiting for it....so u may get lucky....
i am just talking abt one shop..so u know wat to do....

@sam93.....abt clearity...hehhehe well clarity is subjective....i saw transformers...wanted z5300...but listened yanni...some how violins sounded better on altec....but when i increased vol....altec sucks like a vaccum..
coz THX do come in handy in a spk...

Altec is ofcourse a good option if ona budget...u got money go for thx certified sets..in logitech stable i like only z5300 and z5500...otherwise i only go for xreative megaworks..its cost effective too...

expensive than z5300 and cheaper than z5500,,so royal u may want to look into that too....but soemhow creative lost the value nowadays....

but in my opinion

u got money go for any set u like....any
u on budget stick to sub 5k or 6k altecs....coz they way better than creative anf logi's of this area...

i am not talking abt numbers or spec...just pure market thing.....and its true..coz all of u know....

royal

Padawan
u on budget stick to sub 5k or 6k altecs....coz they way better than creative anf logi's of this area...

i am not talking abt numbers or spec...just pure market thing.....and its true..coz all of u know....

Ok so if I am not able to get a Z5300 then I should go for Altec instead of X540 ? :confused: Because I am definitely not going for G51 :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom