5.1 Speakers dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
just a lil pointer dont u both think tht quality of a spk is a personal opinon and a matter of hearing it in perfect conditions....now dont kill me....;)
p.s .... i am a altec user now... but my next one is z5500....
AMEN to the point!

@sam9s,
FYI, That Denon requires separate 50W amplification unit. Thats what i meant! Most of them does. If it aint. Name me, one 50W plug and play Denon Speaker. I may be need to know it then! Gimme raw 5K bucks and i'll put one local speaker sounding better than it!! :p If again, i am contradicting, lemme know! :D

Again, Z5500 specs:
Subwoofer, 5 speakers,
Nominal Output Power (Total)
505 Watt
Max (RMS) Output Power (Total)
Response Bandwidth
33 - 20000 Hz
Input Impedance
8 KOhm
Signal-To-Noise Ratio
100 dB
Output Level (SPL)
115 dB
See, what u are trying to prove is the most idiotic thing, i've heard. You are trying to compare measly 5051 with the finest 5500! Ohh okk! U like giving links. Well, i like directing towards GOOGLE! :D hehe..Just go and find out for urself how good Z5500 is! Again, just FYI, Z5500 has received the Best Editor's Raing award. And the counts just keeps going on. See, i hate to write such big Essays!! :p Never been used to.
Compare everything from top to bottom. And then u are saying they should provide details? Why?
Dont u know the difference between Squakers and Tweeters? U are saying LFE as Woofers!! :p
U said, Altec has 30Hz lower limit and Logitech on the other hand has 33Hz!! True!
Go on, listen to both systems, and tell me the difference! If u are so audiophile, as u say...catch me the 3Hz difference....err..that RICH BASS!! :D :D hehe...Look, man u are creating manhole for urself to leap in! :p
And by god, even if somehow ur fantastic ears can catch that difference, tell me which one's amplifier will provide higher and better power distribution? AL's 89W one or Logitech's massive 505W one?
I dont know, and really cant believe, how on the earth...u say zillions of ppl with shops and arent audiophile. Infact they all are and believe me better than most of us!
Ohh..see, u are giving total harmonic distortion for each speaker unit. Tell me, what distortion would be produced by system during 80% of volume levels? Can u show that?? See, that depends alot upon what kind settings, speakers are being driven at and including soundcard's/amplifier specs! Right?
Look, man...there is more to these speakers than meet the eye...err Ears! :D
Go on, quote this post too, and comment on every funniest line, u can!

Btw, I never contradict my points. Its u who is taking it otherwise! Better, not make the discussion more harsh my frnd. Hey, look if i said anything harsh...pretend i said that in the loudness of my speakers. Dont mind! :D :)
Just for the sake of goodness, lets agree on what madjeri said. :)

Last edited:

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
+ respect mayan....

p.s stop quoting those nos..making my eyes blur.....

anyways i said personal..coz all those nos dont mean a thing if u got lame ears.. (lamest argument)...but true..and the perfect setup...

but all deciding factor is cost.....

royal

Padawan
i didnt even had the heart to read it..... :(

:D Me too :D

To tell you the truth . at first I could not muster enough courage to go through all these specs. ;) But then I decided otherwise and forced myself only so that I could have a better idea regarding these things.

:D Who knows , tomorrow I might find someone who knows even less than I do and I will have the rare opportunity to give him a gyan session myself. :D

I must admit that I am nowhere even remotely close to being an audiophile but even I know that Total Harmonic Distortion and Sound to Noise Ratio are important parameters to judge audio quality.(Please dont punish me if it is not so :( )

Anyway the cold war between these two "Sound Bhai"s have been beneficial to us lesser mortals :p

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
guys,please stop this pro audio thing. What is needed is 5.1 set under 12k. For that it's better to choose between Logitech's and Altec Lansings. Best way to select is by getting a demo of these.

Home Town is ready to give demo of these speakers connected to 40" HDTV :)

@sagardani, Best way is to walk in to a store like eZone and get a demo of speakers. you can then decide. You will never come to a conclusion by looking at this thread. NO flames intended. This thread is going nowhere.

Last edited:

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
:D Me too :D
Anyway the cold war between these two "Sound Bhai"s have been beneficial to us lesser mortals :p

"Sound Bhais" ?? Cold War??? Lesser Mortals?? :eek:
I mean, come on, how many movies have you been watching recently?? :D :D hehe...Btw, dont miss "Warlords"! ;)

See, to tell u truly...there are already lots of "bhaiyyas" in here. To, my luck...they arent into the discussion yet! :p
As soon as they are, i might pack my things up and run away hard on a pulsar 180!! :D :D heehee

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
so i think it concludes..and yeas long post do not give head aches...but a waste of time when i not interested...;)

anyways when u want to buy something u need to have some idea....some preferences...not always we can go with "performance".....

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@royal,
Arre none taken yaara!
Doston main mistakes aur sorry ki koi jagah nahin hoti hai! :)
Baaki, forum discussions pe sab jaayaz hai! :D

@topic,
I hope, our discussions atleast help the thread starter to make a choice for the appropriate product. :)

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Hi Sam,
I am doing fine, came to this thread via search as I went to nehru place today looking for speakers, dint finalize any yet.

I have creative soundcard along with 4.1 cambridge soundworks speaker, under xp they work fine but Vista 64 does not have driver for it & I cant use them, the asus onboard sound driver does not work with these speaker, hence I need to change. I need to ensure x64 bit driver support with whatever I buy.

-------------------------------------
Sorry I got busy, yet to try the OC settings.
Will do it after 15-20 days, but summers will be on & the heat might prevent me do small testing only.
-----------------------------------------

OP
sagardani

sagardani

Lost in LOST
Ohhhh guys...... It took me whole 1 day to comprehend whatever sam9s and mayanksharma have written:D .... Still I haven't 100% understood. But I really thank you two to make educate and showed me a path to become a so-called 'Audio Phile';)... This royal dude has correctly said in his post #29 what I wanted to say here.

I started this thread so that I can get help fro expert "Audio Philes" to select speaker for my PC around 12k... And I got this huge ocean of debate and knowledge. To be honest it will take me some time to absorb all this knowledge. But anyways you guys have helped me greatly. So I figured out that- easiest way to select right speakers is not only by going through threads but actually listening them. But its always better to have knowledge (atleast some) and views/opinions of expert bhais like Mayank and sam9s on this forum (yeah... and that creates confusion too:cool:).

So out of Fx5051 and Z5300 (its available), I think I should listen to them first and than take decesion. By the way, I hope all you will rate Z5300 better than G51.

@sagardani, Best way is to walk in to a store like eZone and get a demo of speakers.
Hey desiibond, I live here in Pune, so I don't think I've this eZone option. But I'll try to get demo of them at some computer shop.

@sagardani check out sony HT DAV-DZ270 as well, its a complete HT package just for 15K, includes spks, ampli, dvd/divx player and a usb support as well.
I have listened to it but I dont very well recall the performance, but its decent given the price and the package. I will suggest give it a demo try.......
Yes, the DAV-DZ270 are impressive. But dude sam9s, I want right now for PC. There's no use of upscale DVD player for me right now as I don't have HDTV and its loooooooooooong time for me to think about it. Will those speakers work on PC ? That USB is for what purpose ? Is that a speaker-dvd player combo or I can get only speakers? And again dude, you said RMS is sjubjective. How can Sony give 850W Total Power Output at just 15k that too with DVD player:confused: ? On the other hand z5500 with 505W is at 28k..:eek: ! Or is that- price doesn't depend on watts. Is there compramise by Sony and Logi is more superior than it? I've heard DAV-DZ750K at friends place who also ows z5500. He told me if you want 'puch', Sony is the one! And fore 'tone' he suggests 5500. But my question is- why is Sony so cheap that too with more power and DVD player???:confused:

Anyways I again thank all of you who helped me and gave me THE GYAAN...:p

Last edited:

royal

Padawan
Just a small request...can anyone arrange for a Z5300 (its still available in some places) and ship it to Kolkata ? :twisted:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Home Town bangalore: +(91)-(80)-25236622, 25235923, 66621120 66621122, 66621123

They may arrange for a shipping of Z5300. Check with them. They gave a full demo.

but forum reviews say that their delivery is pathetic.

Last edited:

royal

Padawan
Check this thread.

Thx but no thx :(

I know its almost new but I would prefer a completely new one :p

Home Town bangalore: +(91)-(80)-25236622, 25235923, 66621120 66621122, 66621123

They may arrange for a shipping of Z5300. Check with them. They gave a full demo.

but forum reviews say that their delivery is pathetic.

Ohh :(

Last edited:
OP
sagardani

sagardani

Lost in LOST
^^^ But will that play *.mkv?? Now a days I download all (compressed HD) 720p movies. I can upload them on USB drive. Will it play it? If not directly, also let me know any conversion method to convert .mkv files into suitable format to play on this player and obviously by maintaining original mkv quality.

And btw, 'USB drive' in the sense what- Pen drive?

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Anyhow upscaling DVD is just more of a marketing gimick rather than any actual benifit. Spks would work on you PC no doubt BUT why would you want to watch the movie on your PC UNLESS you have a 22"+ LCD monitor. Yes listining to music would be one reason you would want them to be connected to your PC, but we have a solution here as well.......USB Support, get a USB drive which these days is rotten cheap (16GB for 1200 and 32GB for 3K approx), or get a USB HDD, stuff all you song on to USB drive or HDD and keep it connected with the player. Now you have all your music and movies as well with this neatly arranged package. You can not only use the USB drive/HDD for music, you can easily upload your divx collection on to it as well and play it (this makes things far easy I am telling you and Divx can also contain 5.1 audio if the conversion is done keeping that in mind). You just gotta make sure before getting the Divx movie if it has 5.1 in it.

No flames intended but this is the worst solution for the problem.

and 16Gb USB for 1200. Please talk some sense man. a 4Gb USB stick from Kingson costs around 800 and 8Gb stick costs a bomb.

So, as per your solution, to play new songs, everytime, he has to copy them to the stick and then play them from DVD player. Just to play songs, why should he turn on DVD player and TV when he can directly play from PC while working on it.

OP
sagardani

sagardani

Lost in LOST
^^^Thats not the problem buddy, Im watching movies. But my question is again different. How can Sony give 850w speakers + DVD player just for 15k when other dedicated PC speakers like z5500 with 505w cost 28k...!

@sam9s: Even Sony has neither given frequency response range for individual speaker nor for overall set. What do you say about this?

USB Support, get a USB drive which these days is rotten cheap (16GB for 1200 and 32GB for 3K approx)
Where do you get it so cheap:eek: :eek: ?
And
Is there way to convert mkv to DivX by maintaining visual quality and 5.1 ? Converting to DVD (means MPEG-2 right?) is better or DivX (i.e avi)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom