42 Inch LCD Buying Suggestions

aneek

Broken In
Hello,

I am thinking to buy a 42" LED TV. Been thinking over Sony W900B and similar Samsung H6400 or LG's. But I've searched this forum for this and found a couple of informative threads.
  • Sony 42W900B vs LG 42LB6500
  • sony or lg who has better picture quality?need advise!!
Both these posts ultimatly suggests to buy Sony W900B. Well I do chime with this too. But since these posts are few days old and if someone suggest me if any new models have come? Please note, my budget is 80K max for the TV.

These days HEVC (x265) is coming to the movies. Many movies are coming ripped via this encoding. Since the TV I'll buy will not be only to watch Tata Sky, I will also watch movies that I download (most of them are now HEVC). So I checked again. Saw LG 42LB6700 supports HEVC 2K (here).

Now this make me confused. Searched the Sony forums and could'nt find any posts that suggests that Sony will also add this HEVC encoder to 900B series via Firmwire update. Instead they released a HEVC player (4K Media Player With 4K HEVC Decoder). This is not available in India and if it is then also why should you buy this? :-?

The only workaround is to connect my PC/Laptop via HDMI and play x265 based movies via it. But sony has triluminos display technology and its the best ( as per my thought) among other brands.

So more confusion. Please suggest your valuable thoughts friends.

Moreover, no matter which TV I buy I will also need a 5.1 system for my TV. This doesn't have to be state of the art system but a modarate one. Any suggestions? I need this to connect with my TV not via any player. Can I do that?

$hadow

Geek in making
LG 42LB6500 is a certain option. Sony triluminos is just a filter. And also mention your budget.

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
LG 42LB6500 is a certain option. Sony triluminos is just a filter. And also mention your budget.
Here is my budget,
TV budget: ~80K (max)
5.1 budget: ~ 15K (max)
But display wise, don't you think Sony is far better? Well, 3D may be great in LG model but who's going to watch 3D all day? Please suggest your views.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Buy LG 42UB820T 106 cm (42) LED TV Online at best Prices In India

pretty jaw dropping considering its an IPS panel... for movies and stuff, this is perfect

Gollum

Collector
Hello,

I am thinking to buy a 42" LED TV. Been thinking over Sony W900B and similar Samsung H6400 or LG's. But I've searched this forum for this and found a couple of informative threads.
  • Sony 42W900B vs LG 42LB6500
  • sony or lg who has better picture quality?need advise!!
Both these posts ultimatly suggests to buy Sony W900B. Well I do chime with this too. But since these posts are few days old and if someone suggest me if any new models have come? Please note, my budget is 80K max for the TV.

These days HEVC (x265) is coming to the movies. Many movies are coming ripped via this encoding. Since the TV I'll buy will not be only to watch Tata Sky, I will also watch movies that I download (most of them are now HEVC). So I checked again. Saw LG 42LB6700 supports HEVC 2K (here).

Now this make me confused. Searched the Sony forums and could'nt find any posts that suggests that Sony will also add this HEVC encoder to 900B series via Firmwire update. Instead they released a HEVC player (4K Media Player With 4K HEVC Decoder). This is not available in India and if it is then also why should you buy this? :-?

The only workaround is to connect my PC/Laptop via HDMI and play x265 based movies via it. But sony has triluminos display technology and its the best ( as per my thought) among other brands.

So more confusion. Please suggest your valuable thoughts friends.

Moreover, no matter which TV I buy I will also need a 5.1 system for my TV. This doesn't have to be state of the art system but a modarate one. Any suggestions? I need this to connect with my TV not via any player. Can I do that?

Mate, best way to test the LCD screen of the TV's is:

Open Digit Forum with Dark Theme ON - Enable Cinema Mode on TV
open, this thread, and scroll up or down.
Follow the text as it goes up/down.
If you see screen anomalies like dark patches, then don't buy.
This is very essential as DSE is a major party pooper when you watch cricket or football.

Technically all 32" and above LED edge lit LCD TV's have Dirty Screen Effect DSE, but some Samsung LED TV's have very good Screens.

This issue is a result of the backlight diffuser not being able to spread the light uniformly.

My Suggestion, get Sony W850B or Sony W950B or Samsung HU8550 or Samsung H7150 or Samsung H8000(Best)
LG is meh..
Check review here
*www.rtings.com/info/gray-uniformity-tvs-dirty-screen-effect-dse

for those going GAGA about IPS panels, specs don't match the hype in real life.
I have 42LB5610 - IPS panel is excellent for color and is ISF Certified but panel quality is total crap.

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
Mate, best way to test the LCD screen of the TV's is:

Open Digit Forum with Dark Theme ON - Enable Cinema Mode on TV
open, this thread, and scroll up or down.
Follow the text as it goes up/down.
If you see screen anomalies like dark patches, then don't buy.
This is very essential as DSE is a major party pooper when you watch cricket or football.

Technically all 32" and above LED edge lit LCD TV's have Dirty Screen Effect DSE, but some Samsung LED TV's have very good Screens.

This issue is a result of the backlight diffuser not being able to spread the light uniformly.

My Suggestion, get Sony W850B or Sony W950B or Samsung HU8550 or Samsung H7150 or Samsung H8000(Best)
LG is meh..
Check review here
Gray Uniformity of TVs: Dirty Screen Effect (DSE)

for those going GAGA about IPS panels, specs don't match the hype in real life.
I have 42LB5610 - IPS panel is excellent for color and is ISF Certified but panel quality is total crap.

Mate, Please consider my budget here. Can you recommend something that is in my budget?

Thanks!

mitraark

Decrepit
I'd like to add that in my opinion the playback via USB on TVs is really poor, it's advisable to use a PC and HDMI to watch movies.

I cannot say this is true for all TV models but I've seen most TVs don't render video files that well, instead PC playback is really good/

Gollum

Collector
Mate, Please consider my budget here. Can you recommend something that is in my budget?

Thanks!

are my TV suggestions too expensive? I did not check the price.
I suggest you to buy a projector instead. It is the best for HT setup. I regret buying a 42" tv. I could have got a 720p projector for 30k easy :(

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
are my TV suggestions too expensive? I did not check the price.
I suggest you to buy a projector instead. It is the best for HT setup. I regret buying a 42" tv. I could have got a 720p projector for 30k easy :(
Indeed they are expensive. Well here you go,

Sony KD-49X8500B: MRP Rs 174,900
KDL-55W950B: MRP Rs 164,900

About Samsung, they are even costlier :lol:.

It's really a good idea to get a projector. But since my query is to get a TV, can you help me with this please? :|

Gollum

Collector
Indeed they are expensive. Well here you go,

Sony KD-49X8500B: MRP Rs 174,900
KDL-55W950B: MRP Rs 164,900

About Samsung, they are even costlier :lol:.

It's really a good idea to get a projector. But since my query is to get a TV, can you help me with this please? :|

Do What I suggested.
I cannot suggest a tv otherwise.
test it out at the store. these days specifications are not enough.

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
Do What I suggested.
I cannot suggest a tv otherwise.
test it out at the store. these days specifications are not enough.

Thanks, yes I think I have to do that only.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to check for DSE effects. Other than this I will also check for the formats that these TVs can play. But just before starting my search in local stores, what about the TV Bravia W700B? It will come ~ 67K. yes, this will not have 3D and Triluminos but it has X-reality and other stuffs.

Comparison: *www.sony.co.in/quickcomparison/kdl-42w900b+in5/kdl-42w700b+in5

So any suggestions?

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
LG 42UB820T 106 cm (42) or can you increase your budget?

Ahh, its a great one at least looking from the website. But 82K is a bit expensive. Thought I can go till that but I won't be able to buy a 5.1 system then :cry:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
it is not 82k, it is Rs 59,490 on flipkart with exchange..
very good price considering its 4K + IPS but specs doesnt reveal the whole story like Gollum said

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
These days HEVC (x265) is coming to the movies. Many movies are coming ripped via this encoding.The only workaround is to connect my PC/Laptop via HDMI and play x265 based movies via it.
I am no expert on this matter, but I don't think you need to worry about this.
Since it would take time for x265 rips to become common, also most movies will be released using x264 for years. Lastly, by the time x265 becomes standard, your smartphone could probably be able to play it and then you can simply use chromecast or something to send the video from your phone to the TV , no need to connect PC/Laptop ;) .

Hope I helped

$hadow

Geek in making
Ahh, its a great one at least looking from the website. But 82K is a bit expensive. Thought I can go till that but I won't be able to buy a 5.1 system then :cry:
I always insist on spending a better display. Be it a phone, laptop or TV for that matter. You spend a lot of time watching the display so you should get the best available. I would say that you should but it and buy the speaker later on.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Stick to Sony
despite the higher pricing and maybe lack of certain formats ,they last much much longer and are easier to maintain etc

Ive owned LG, Samsung,Onida TVs before and none of them come close to sony
LG and Samsungs go bad every few months and the service centres are a rip-off

I suggest getting the Bravia and if you feel it lacks formats,buy this-
Western Digital TV Live Media Player WiFi WD New Model: Amazon.in: Electronics

I have this even though my Bravia plays all formats but WD TV is the best "hard drive backup movie" experience
beats inbuilt tv usb any day

$hadow

Geek in making
I purchased e85 Sony a few years ago and picture is still not comparable to other panels. I still prefer Sony in fhd base model and can't say the same about 4k models. Sammy and LG are doing better there.

OP
aneek

aneek

Broken In
Okay thanks! I will now visit some of the near by stores Great Eastern, Relience Digital etc. Then I'll let you know guys. :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I purchased e85 Sony a few years ago and picture is still not comparable to other panels. I still prefer Sony in fhd base model and can't say the same about 4k models. Sammy and LG are doing better there.

Samsung and LG lose the "better" within 2 months trust me
Their factory settings are for oversaturation,this wears out the LEDs rather fast
also the internals arent upto the mark

Sony is much better in the long run

Top Bottom