4 GB RAM showing only 2 GB? Please Help.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Hey guys I suddenly noticed today that after installing my new GPU the RAM isn't showing 4 GB under BIOS and Windows Device Manager, however in CPU-Z it's showing 4096 MB. I've installed them in correct places in my Mobo, but still! Please help me as your earliest.
Have a look at the screens.
*img251.imageshack.us/img251/1038/photo0218z.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

*image deleted -- had user product ID.
Anil

Last edited by a moderator:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Start Task Manager. Goto, Performance tab. And post that screenshot too.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Okay, the total is 2039 MB as far I can see it. What is Commit MB? It's showing 1135/4078!
Added the msinfo32.
Please help guys, I am panicked.

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yes please look at the above photos, I've already done that, it's showing only 2GB, but I've 4GB installed!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Commit (MB) is the total of RAM and Virtual Memory of a system.
For long answer refer, Task manager; commit charge? peak? Performence? - Yahoo! Answers

It seems your windows 7 is accepting only 2 GB of RAM! Strangely, CPU-Z shows all 4, so the RAM's are correctly installed.

I am not an memory expert.. but following article may help. Its a little technical. But I suppose, you can get some answers here.
Who ate my memory? - Where are we going, and what's with the handbasket? - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

pauldmps

Banned
Weird. Does your motherboard come with integrated GPU ?

As far as I know, i7 motherboards don't have integrated GPU. So the IGP is not using half the RAM. What else could be it ? Try refitting the RAMs as suggested. Also if you have more than one RAM modules, try one-by-one.

If that fails, try your old CPU & post its results.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well I remember one thing clearly when I was reassembling the Proccessor yesterday my I took a clean cloth and was removing the old Thermal compound and once the cloth got stuck in to the CPU socket pins, and I cleared the cloth by pulling it. Is there a chance of bent CPU Socket pins and for that is this problem occurring?
I tired to place the RAM module's in B1 and C1 slot instead of A1 and B1 and the BIOS now detects 4088MB! I tried with A1 and C1, BIOS detected 2040MB, so I guess the A1 slot is not working.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
So that is the problem? It's because of CPU Socket Pin got damaged or something. right? What to do now?
@Asingh, BIOS shows 2040MB when the Modules are at recommended A1 and B1 slots, it shows 4088 MB when they are at B1 and C1 slots.

Last edited:

pauldmps

Banned
1. I don't think it has anything to do with CPU contacts, because it is working in different slot. I may be wrong here.

2. Is there any visible damage in the A1 slot ? Try using a single module in the A1 slot & see if the PC boots.

3. If the A1 slot is damaged, then you're fu(ked.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
So that is the problem? It's because of CPU Socket Pin got damaged or something. right? What to do now?
@Asingh, BIOS shows 2040MB when the Modules are at recommended A1 and B1 slots, it shows 4088 MB when they are at B1 and C1 slots.
I think I am fu(ked up bad, right?

Relax.

Give me your full motherboard model number. Else update it with your signature. Also is this all happening on stock settings..?

EDIT:
Can we stop the misnomer for the EFFF word. I am sure you educated lads have more words in your vocabulary. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@asingh, I am really sorry. I was really puzzled.

Anyway, I opened the Processor, there were 2 or 3 pins on the CPU Socket lying down as I though earlier, it was clearly visible with even my naked eyes, so I used a empty gel refill to pull them up, then re-installed the Processor and cooler, system booted, RAM module's installed at A1 and B1, and now it does show 4080 MB.

Now I very much know that the CPU Socket is all messed up, and this one is so easily attachable or detachable. So should I get a new CPU Socket?

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
GULP....!

What in the world were you doing to get bent CPU socket pins. Just install the DIMMs in alternate fashion and keep the board. I think you managed to straighten the pins. Be careful man. You must have tried an incorrect dock once, but stopped, though resulted in a few bent pins. That is expensive hardware. You are fine now.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Might be!

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Here is the official reply from ASUS,

"Unfortunately, it is impossible for a person to replace the CPU socket in a mother board. It may even be impossible to replace a CPU socket in the factory that makes mother boards, once other parts are attached to the mother board.

The number of connections and the manner in which they are soldered in place makes it impossible for a CPU socket to be mounted, except with very special equipment. Unless you are able to bend the pins back into the correct position with a very small tool, you will need to replace the entire mother board."

So it's clear that a New CPU Socket Pin Board IS NOT available.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyway, I opened the Processor, there were 2 or 3 pins on the CPU Socket lying down as I though earlier, it was clearly visible with even my naked eyes, so I used a empty gel refill to pull them up, then re-installed the Processor and cooler, system booted, RAM module's installed at A1 and B1, and now it does show 4080 MB.

Congrats ! I think you solved your problem and there's no need to worry anymore though take proper care in the future while playing with these delicate components ;-)

HWhat should I do? Keep running the Motherboard like that or should I go to a Goo d Service Centre for repairing? Coz I was thinking that the RAM problems might have gone but there might be other problems which I can't realise now.. Am I right?

Please advice me what to do buddy. I am kinda scared.

Thanks in advance.

Just keep the mobo running like that as you have already fixed it and test it with some heavy cpu intensive app/benchmark tools for prolonged period of time - say a 4-6 hor crysis/metro2033/BFBC2 session in the morning - a 4-6 hour prime/OCCT test or if possible keep running the system for 24 hours continuously for a day and try converting some huge HD files to small size ( say 700MB ) using cpu as the encoder - if you find no prob with those test your system is alright and ready to rock with GTX560 Ti ;-)

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ read the entire thread properly - it's not because of OS rather than it was a HW issue which OP has fixed.

Top Bottom