4 GB limit on a 32 bit OS

narain

Broken In
There have been discussions on this forum on a 32 bit OS limiting the max RAM usage limit to 3.5 GB only. Found an interesting article here. Anybody tried this on Win 7 or XP 32 bit OS?
My new build will arrive soon, planning to try on it soon!

reniarahim1

Youngling
PAE is the added ability of the IA32 processor to address more than 4 GB of physical memory. The following operating systems can use PAE to take advantage of physical memory beyond 4 GB:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition

Other 32 bit OS can support max 4GB of RAM (Out of which 500MB will be utilized by Windows or Other peripherals, leaving around 3.5 GB of available RAM). Get 64 bit OS if planning to get more than 3GB of memory.

Flash

Lost in speed
Oops. Clicked the link that is shared.
Nothing came except the green background & some pictures of b**by girls on the top.

Waited for few minutes and can see the contents of "Windows 7 32-bit with full 4 GB or 8 GB RAM support"
beneath the pics of b**by girls :p

Yes this limit is universal and in Win 7 it uses 3.19 GB RAM if using 32bit OS.

Does that there is no point in upgrading RAM from 3GB to 4GB in Win-7-32-bit OS?
The reason is - am using Win7-32-bit and have plans for upgrading my 2GB to 4GB!!

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Does that there is no point in upgrading RAM from 3GB to 4GB in Win-7-32-bit OS?
The reason is - am using Win7-32-bit and have plans for upgrading my 2GB to 4GB!!

u can upgrade the RAM to 4GB but 32-bit OS will not utilize the full RAM..so instead 64-bit OS is recommended :cool:

Flash

Lost in speed
u can upgrade the RAM to 4GB but 32-bit OS will not utilize the full RAM..so instead 64-bit OS is recommended :cool:

Whether the RAM-limits are specific to Windows-7-Starter packs or the other Win-7-editions too?

In that article, it said
The kernel of the 32-bit version of Windows 7 has only a lock, which prevents access to more memory. More dramatically is this lock in the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Starter Edition: There the prohibition is much more rigorous and it only allows access to 2 GB of RAM:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows 7 editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
for 32bit windows 7 all editions have limit of 4gb except starter which has 2gb limit.for 64bit version there is no starter edition,home basic has 8gb,home premium has 16gb & rest have 192gb ram limit.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
most of the modern desktop cpus supports 64 bit OS - so g ahead and install any 64 bit OS even if you don't have 4GB ram now .

Flash

Lost in speed
For those who want to check, whether your processor can support 64-bit or not--->

Use SECURABLE in the below link.
GRC*|*SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features*|**

It will tell you the MAXIMUM BIT LENGTH compatible with your processor.

Last edited:

jimmyhelu

Banned
I'm pretty sure a PAE kernel is either default or available through the package manager in Ubuntu 11.04, so 6GB should work just fine (any one process is still limited to 3GB virtual, but multiple processes plus the kernel can make good use of 6GB physical).

Ashokkumar01cbe

Broken In
If we go to bit level ,This is, because it can hold 32 bit information so 2 ^32 =4294967296 this is approximately equal to 4GB:)
I think I am right....

Top Bottom