*www.gentoo-wiki.com/Image:T0maz_Xgl_24.png

*www.gentoo-wiki.com/Image:T0maz_Xgl_26.png

*www.gentoo-wiki.com/Image:Xgl2.jpg

Last edited:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
kalpik said:
Believe me when i say it, XGL doesn't even come close to Aero :p
Did you realise that XGL is in its early Alpha development stage. And that the code Novell has released in public domain (which is currently going into the Upstream of various distributions ) is almost an year old, and that actual development stage of XGL is at more advanced stage?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Hey no mention of AIGLX????
Red Hat is developing it. Of what I have seen it's not as stunning as XGL but nonetheless it falls into this category and it had started around the same time as XGL AFAIK.
Some who knows more on it can throw some lights.

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
AIGLX was started bcuz the fedora community felt that as XGL was written with a 'closed door' policy,it went against the opensource philosophy,but currently hardware support is limited only to hardware with free drivers.
An important point to note is that both the AIGLX and XGL projects will swap code in order to ensure compatibility and further improvement.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
GNUrag said:
Did you realise that XGL is in its early Alpha development stage. And that the code Novell has released in public domain (which is currently going into the Upstream of various distributions ) is almost an year old, and that actual development stage of XGL is at more advanced stage?
Yup.. I know that.. But didnt know that actual development has progressed.. Thanks for the info!

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Yes Kalpik, I agree. DirectX gives the fastest platform for graphics. And Vista will
support DirectX 10. And we know that graphics & Games in Linux are quite slow
compared to Windows. So we can't compare them both. When Suse 11 comes out
we will know how good it is. Definitely you need Systems with 512 MB RAM & a
good graphics card for decent performance. If the Linux guys can develop something
like DirectX in Linux and increase the graphics performance, then it's worth it.
I think Novell is doing a great job. Let's see the product next yearand talk about the
comparisons with Vista.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
AIGLX is a project that aims to enable GL-accelerated effects on a standard desktop. We have a lightly modified X server (that includes a couple of extensions), an updated Mesa package that adds some new protocol support and a version of metacity with a composite manager. The end result is that you can use GL effects on your desktop with very few changes, the ability to turn it on and off at will, and you don't have to replace your X server in the process.

This is code that was done entirely upstream in concert with the rest of the X community. FC5 is the first distribution that will allow people to try it out because we are the first to include the modular X packages and the right protocol bits in the right places. We have been working hard on the underlying X bits and not too much on the actual rendering effects, but we hope that the rest of the community will help creating interesting and appropriate effects. The point is not to create a finished product at this point, but instead enable a community around it to develop and test it.

We have tested this code on a number of card and driver combinations and we do work on a large number of them. There's a table below that includes a list of what we know works, what we think works and what we know does not work. So look at this list before you try out the code.

*fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject/aiglx

XGL vs AIGLX
*airlied.livejournal.com/22700.html

gauravnawani

Journeyman
JGuru said:
Yes Kalpik, I agree. DirectX gives the fastest platform for graphics. And Vista will support DirectX 10.

Says who?
It only appears to be faster as Msft has developed them both. BTW do you know Linux have full support for OpenGl, have you ever played ID software's game on Linux? they work as fast as on Windows is not actually faster of that only if you are using the accelerated drives from Nvidia or ATI.

The requirement for DE based effects is not that heavy, the AIGX project with wobbly windows was initially done on a laptop based on normal Intel graphics chip-set and it work pretty fine see vids in the link below.

And for the one who don't know AIGX was started much earlier than Novell started to wok on XGL. *www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/xshots

PS: Kalpik there is one more reason if Aero feels more polished Ms$$$$$$$$$ ;)

T

thunderbird.117

kalpik said:
Believe me when i say it, XGL doesn't even come close to Aero :p

Dont bring Aero topic in linux. XGL is improving a lot. Only if Nvidia and Ati helps open source.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
JGuru said:
Yes Kalpik, I agree. DirectX gives the fastest platform for graphics. And Vista will support DirectX 10. And we know that graphics & Games in Linux are quite slow compared to Windows. So we can't compare them both.

Dont even talk about DirectX.. DirectX and the technology behind it Direct3D is an utter piece of cr@p which M$ has been marketting since long.. Direct3D APIs are all software driven renderers and stand no chance against SGI's OpenGL..

As opposed to what you believe, in the graphics industry no-body even touches Direct3D.. there is just OpenGL.. since OpenGL uses hardware driven renderer, you have your processor doing better things that its supposed to do..

And do you know why you feel games are slow in Linux? that's because those games were not using Linux's native OpenGL libraries.. perhaps they were emulating Direct3D and trying to run games as best as they could..

mehulved

GNU can u give some examples and benchmarks. I don't really have any idea on this stuff. I'd like to know more.

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
I installed 3D desktop yesterday.Wow, the effects are so cool.

GNUrag, Why games are slow in Linux? The Linux expert Christopher Negus says:

The X Window is GUI used in Linux.Because X doesn't provide a dedicated
graphical screen for the game, the performance is degraded. On the other hand
Linux Super VGA Library interface can run games in a more dedicated way than
X.Because SVGALIB can run your game without managing a desktop & other
applications( as X does). SVGALIB can run some games faster than X.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
One frank review about Direct3D and OpenGL is available from GameDev.net
*www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1775.asp
Direct3D is very useful for making Win32 games. It is made solely for Win32. Because Direct3D is only for Windows systems, it is usually not used for high-end graphics applications. Many graphics people prefer a Unix or SGI workstation; Direct3D does not (and probably never will) support those platforms. There is really nothing that Direct3D can do that OpenGL can't,

Also read the Wikipedia article comparing both technologies.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D_vs._OpenGL

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
JGuru said:
The X Window is GUI used in Linux.Because X doesn't provide a dedicated
graphical screen for the game, the performance is degraded. On the other hand
Linux Super VGA Library interface can run games in a more dedicated way than
X.Because SVGALIB can run your game without managing a desktop & other
applications( as X does). SVGALIB can run some games faster than X.
Exactly, i also was saying that. XServer, being a client-server model, is bound to be slow due to all the overhead of RPC calls involved.

btw, you are also supposed to post the link for original article here..

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Anyway thanks GNUrag, is there any thing similar to Linux Super VGA Library
available now? Do you know any such thing being developed? I certainly want to
know.

mehulved

Thanks GNU. BTW, I did find both the links. They are on the first page of google search for DirectX vs OpenGL :p . Anyways let me read it up.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
tech_your_future said:
Thanks GNU. BTW, I did find both the links. They are on the first page of google search for DirectX vs OpenGL :p . Anyways let me read it up.
That's cool,
I normally head over to Wikipedia whenever i'm looking for technical comparison of competing technologies.. I first search on Wikipedia.org then head over to Google.

T

thunderbird.117

You can play windows games in linux using cedaga not free but. Another application is coming soon for linux. The team will concentrate more on Heavy games that is running to play on windows to play on linux. You see in near future game can be played in linux with a ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom