[35K Upgrade Advise] Gaming + Rendering System (CPU + Motherboard only)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hello Everyone,

Here is my current configuration (~3yrs old)
Core i5 2400
Intel DH67BL
DDR3 Ripjaw 4GBx2 (cant remember the speed)
PSU - Seasonic M12II 750W bronze.
SSD - 250Gig Samsung 840 Evo
HDD - Got a 500 Gig + 250 Gig hard drives.
GFX - Zotac GTX-970 Extreme Edition
CM Elite 430
ASUS Xonar Essence ST ( PCI )
Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO (can switch to watercooling at later point of time)

I need advise on a CPU + Mobo upgrade only, currently having issues getting stable 60+ framerates with Battlefield 4, i believe my CPU is the culprit as its almost hits 90+% when playing. Other games are fine but I get a little stuttering when there are lot of particle effects.
Another reason is that My Graphics card blocks my sata ports (only two usable) so I had to disconnect my other drives (First World Problem) and I am running out of space due to Game footage capture using Shadow play.

I do not intend to sell the old CPU/Motherboard as I will be using the CPU for my dad's computer (he has a i3) and that i3 will go into a HTPC.

Mandatory - I would need One PCI slot for my sound card.

Hit me up with a good combo.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming (Battlefield Series), Video Rendering (Sony Vegas + Handbrake) , development (Visual Studio).

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:35K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10+

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: None - Already have SSD + multiple HDD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:None - I Have a dual monitor setup already

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Everything other than CPU & Motherboard

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Next Month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, I Will build myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore, Locally, SP Road, I always get good rate with my vendor.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Good multi-threaded performance.

shubham412302

Broken In
I have i7-6700 and gtx 970 and the cpu usage hardly reaches 25% for battlefield 4 so for you you processor is the culprit. get i5 6600k(18.5k) a z170 motherboard(rs 11k), hyper 212x(2.8k) and 2*8gb ram(5k)

or

i7 6700(23k) b150 motherboard(8k) if you dont care for raid 0 and 16gb ram(5k)
Dont buy online they cost too much online.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Overclocking Rig:

Intel Core i5 6600K -18500,
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming -16100,
G.Skill RipJaws V 16GB(8GBx2) 2133Mhz -6400,
Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus -4900.
Total -45900.

Non-Overclocking Rig:

Intel Core i5 6500 -15200,
Asus H170 Pro gaming -12900,
G.Skill RipJaws V 16GB(8GBx2) 2133Mhz -6400,
Cooler Master Hyper 212X -3000.
Total -37500.

All above components prices are taken from Shop Online In India for Processor, Motherboard, Graphics Card, Laptop, Desktop and More - Mdcomputers.i

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Since you want to OC, Sunil's OC rig is a nice choice. You can strike off that cooler as you already own one. As Subham said, you will likely to get a better deal in local shops than online. It seems like Delta's pricing is better than MD computers.
i5 6600k - 18100
Asus Z170-P - 11600 (or you can go for Sunil suggested Z170 Pro Gaming - 14500/-, just that it will over shoot your budget)
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GBx2 - 5400
Total - 35100/-

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestion [MENTION=322086]shubham412302[/MENTION], [MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION], [MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION]

Additional Questions.
I believe my upgrade cycle is 3-4years (using the current one from past 3+). Does it make sense to go for a K series i7? or should I just stick to i5. money is not a problem.
I forgot to mention that I have a 144Hz monitor, but BF4 doesn't hit that even with low settings in realistic scenarios, BF4 is very CPU intensive and I believe future titles will also be the same case.

I am very choosy when it comes to Audio, and I cannot part with my Xonar Essence ST which is a PCI card. Asus Z170 Pro Gaming doesn't have a PCI slot, only PCIe slots are available.Asus Z170-P has PCI slot. I can switch to STX but that would add additional 10K budget (which I am not willing to do as the money can be spent somewhere else).

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Obviously, i7 is better. For one 6700k has higher base frequency than 6600k which should give you a better performance in video editing/rendering if not for gaming. But that costs 8k more, I see it's okay with you.

shubham412302

Broken In
Thanks for the suggestion [MENTION=322086]shubham412302[/MENTION], [MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION], [MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION]

Additional Questions.
I believe my upgrade cycle is 3-4years (using the current one from past 3+). Does it make sense to go for a K series i7? or should I just stick to i5. money is not a problem.
I forgot to mention that I have a 144Hz monitor, but BF4 doesn't hit that even with low settings in realistic scenarios, BF4 is very CPU intensive and I believe future titles will also be the same case.

I am very choosy when it comes to Audio, and I cannot part with my Xonar Essence ST which is a PCI card. Asus Z170 Pro Gaming doesn't have a PCI slot, only PCIe slots are available.Asus Z170-P has PCI slot. I can switch to STX but that would add additional 10K budget (which I am not willing to do as the money can be spent somewhere else).

I have i7 6700 and the cpu usage never goes above 35% in battlefield 4 and I get 80+fps with everything max out on gtx 970.
If your upgrade cycle is short and you use your pc only for gaming you don't need to get i7 6700k.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Correction to my Cooler its a TX3 .
still thinking about i5 vs i7 if only if i7 it can give huge performance boost in gaming

nac

Aspiring Novelist
still thinking about i5 vs i7 if only if i7 it can give huge performance boost in gaming
I guess you know that i7 isn't gonna give that huuuuge performance boost. Better stick with i5, anyhow your update cycle is 3yrs. If your video editing/rendering work increased in the next 3yrs, you can very well dump this build and go for i7 then.

yasho2249

Broken In
The i7 has 8 threads bt what DX 12 really benefits with is more physical cores nt virtual. With that said 5820k might look like a option bt the new architecture just beats it in gaming. Though they justify their enthusiasts tag in other multi core a processes. Here a benchmark test of 6600k vs 6700k: Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K vs i5 6600K Stock/Overclock Gaming Benchmarks - YouTube and as u can see the i7 has a slight edge with around +5 fps though it should be noted that 6600k was clocked a bit lower. I am nt a luxury buyer n I would say that the i7 doesn't justify it's price hike in gaming. Considering that u will use if for gaming only n nt stuff like video rendering n all( the enthusiasts cpus leave others in dust here) I would suggest a i5 only.

Sent from my D5322 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom