3.5GB to 65KB

Status
Not open for further replies.

upendra_gp

In the zone
A friend of mine have a file something named "BLH-TOD.zip"
His sister got the cd's for him from Mumbai! When we extracted the file it took about 3.5 GB's of space on his hdd! Is there anyway we can compress up to this level!

geekysage

Journeyman
I think what you saw was a simple file inflation. Basically, that zip most probably has an empty file with just 3.5GB space allocation. I first came across inflated files while using the p2p client DC++ some years back. Most DC++ hubs had minimum share requirements in upwards of 5GB so people started sharing inflated files to fool the hub robot. Hope that clears it up for ya. Try google for more info on inflated files.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Yup.. They are called decompression bombs. They are used to attack AV software. The keeps on decompressing the file untill it crashes...

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Every description given above is in no way related to the file u have.

That file is a zipped mini-maxi image of a game dvd.
here is a desc for it from club cd freaks forum.

The actual data with files is replaced with the files that consists of zeros only. Since the copy protection does only a check for the file layout, not for the file content, the resulting image will work like the original.
It is compressed so good because it is very easy to compress equal data. It's like telling you "this file is a collection of 6 million zeros" instead of sending the entire file byte per byte.

rajas700

Youngling
upendra_gp said:
A friend of mine have a file something named "BLH-TOD.zip"
His sister got the cd's for him from Mumbai! When we extracted the file it took about 3.5 GB's of space on his hdd! Is there anyway we can compress up to this level!

With that u cannot do any thing dear. All u need is the source disk...................

geekysage

Journeyman
geez, i meant the same thing tarey_g!
geekysage said:
Basically, that zip most probably has an empty file with just 3.5GB space allocation.
I am also using one of these images to circumvent the cd check in NFS Most Wanted. I have the original game but since it's a hassle to put the disk everytime i want to play the game, i have mounted the downloaded CD image, which was decompressed to ~1.8GB. The zip file containing that image and sd4blocker was about 500KB. That's why i said, "...empty file with just the space allocation."

Hope you see my point now. But yeah, thanks for giving a more logical description and pointing out a link for the same.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
upendra_gp said:
but still are we able to compress upto this level?

We can not compress to this level , the zip u have contains no file that will work. it only has the file layout which the game checks for dvd validation.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
well guys i had just downloaded the RH2004 expansion pack v1.05 (.zip) for "F1 Challenge 99-02" game. the size was about 35MB and when installed i takes 2.6 GB :shock: and it is even mentioned in the readme file included in the file.Just search for the "RH2004 expansion pack v1.05"

It contains many BMP images for the cars.

charan

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
No, u cant as all data in it will be dummy, 0s only.. so not a workin one for sure :( :)p Else our HDDs will have superlow spaces :p)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
hey, its dummy, can u make a rock a human ? can u know the source of a non-open-source proggie ? there is no way to know some stuff unless u have a copy of its original and copy its 0s and 1s :roll: which is damn foolish :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom