2x2.1 = 5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreenisatish

Broken In
Okay, probable N00b question here.

If I get two 2.1 speakers sets, can I make them work like a 5.1 (or 5.2 :p) setup?
If it is possible, then how? Because, in typical 5.1 PC setups, we have a separate jack for center/sub, but in 2.1 speaker sets, the sub is derived from the left and right channels. Besides what will I do about the center channel?

If it is possible, then I may go for 2 MX 5021s instead of Mr. Z5500 :D

Is there any way in which this can be done?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

If I get two 2.1 speakers sets, can I make them work like a 5.1 (or 5.2 :p) setup?
If it is possible, then how? Because, in typical 5.1 PC setups, we have a separate jack for center/sub, but in 2.1 speaker sets, the sub is derived from the left and right channels. Besides what will I do about the center channel?

From my knowledge, its probably not....
Just get the z5500 man.... Awesome right...

prvprv

Journeyman

here 2*2.1 wil become 4.1 only
if u can get a 2.0 speaker set beside these.. then u can enjoy 5.1 sound

sub and center are different
in 2.1, 4.1 or 5.1 sub is for bass only.
center speaker is entirely different.

To make ur own 5.1 system one 2.1 and two 2.0 speaker sets are enough.
on a typical 5.1 setups, there wil be 3 jacks
1. Front L and R
2. Back L and R
3. Center

so use one 2.1 speaker as Front L and R
one 2.0/2.1 as Rear L and R (but better disable the subwoofer here)
one 2.0 speaker as a center speaker

im using 2*2.0 as a 4 speaker setup

All the best. :)

I don't think so......then i would buy a 1k 2.1 setup and a 0.3k 2.0 setup and tada, 4.1 setup:confused:

I am using my Two 2.0 speakers and enjoying 4 channel sound from my PC
:)

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Ok..........let me summarize this way........

U've two 2.1 speaker sets........
U want to make it 5.1 or 4.1

1> As far as I know, 2.1 sets need a dedicated line out........
U connected the "CPU-IN" jack of the speaker in "GREEN" port of ur CPU and the "SUB-IN" to ur subwoofer, I think a there is not another output sound port in CPU.........

2> If u use front panel Sound port meant for headphone, the other woofer can be connected. But this way Both of the "WOOFER" would be connected to ur CPU and sound quality would be hampered.......more woofs less twitter........

3> If u use one woofer as primary and want to add the other two fron another 2.1 as the back L-R.............one 'bakwas' idea I can give u, disect one of the wires for Left speaker for primary speaker and make two connections of it:rolleyes:..............I think it won't work (may work but won't sound good)..........:rolleyes:

Nothing else came to my mind..........:D:D:D

toofan

Technomancer
If it is possible then it would be the discovery of the month for me.
common assemblers show all your talent and make it possible to give the best result.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I wanna ask, what is the difference between normal speakers, and Logitech Digital series, what is abt digital sound?

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
^^In audio, an analog signal is a smooth-flowing representation of music or sound. An analog sound is marked by a continuously flowing sound. In digital audio, an audio note is represented by multiple distinct events, also known as digital samples.
Due to which, the compression becomes easy, better accuracy, better details and less noise can be achieved.

@topic,
well, i went for this kind of setup few yrs ago, when i got Philips 5.1 sonicedge SC!
I had, Labtec Pulse 420 2.1, Two HCL *Screaming*Squakers and two JBL PRo 2.0 speakers. These all contributed to a commendable 5.1 setup. Plugged Labtec to Front R/L, HCLs to Rear R/L and JBLs to Centre/LFE. Ok, now here is one thing u should look for...the Centre/LFE. When i plugged JBLs to Centre/LFE, then one of them start acting like as LFE. However, i know...it wasnt the appropriate way. So, i pulled the centre/LFE jack a little bit out. By doing this, only Centre speaker reproduced sound, while the other remained silent. I wouldnt say this to be an actual 5.1 setup. However, complete setup reproduced quite good sound effects. For that time, considering the value too, i believe the experiment was worth it. Gradually, i added different speakers to setup. Like,
Philips AS500, Philips Sound A-series soundbox, Philps MMS430, Typhoon 5.1(Digital) and a Sony G90D atlast! Its been 4 yrs already and the sound output has gone to some outstanding levels! :d The only thing, that hasnt changed even today is my good ol' 5.1Setup ,that i started yrs ago. :)

OP
sreenisatish

sreenisatish

Broken In
@^^^

1 doubt:
In 5.1 speaker setup, in software, the sound is output in a different manner if I am not wrong...
If the output is stereo, then the LFE effects can be derived from the left and right channels - filtering and stuff. But, in 5.1 output, the front left and right speakers do not product the same sounds as in a stereo setup. I think they will not have any LFE part in them to be filtered... I am not sure if I am right or wrong here... can anyone confirm?
i.e. is it possible to derive proper LFE from the front left and front right outs in a 5.1 scenario?

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ FOA, all of it has nothing to do with stereo setup.
The surround sound is because of 5.1 amplifier fitted generally in LFEs! The wires from the 6 channel soundcard deliver relevant signals to amp and then the amp circuitry drives all the speakers accordingly.
And yes, if u lower the rear and centre speaker volumes then, ofcourse, Front L/R wont be able to reproduce the same 2.1 sound.
Thats because of the LFE. The LFE i.e. 0.1 is a special speaker which combines every volume and is well capable of a 115 dB peak. It drives all channels to the max and the system should be able to slam you with approximately 120 dB of bass information!

And no, u cant differ LFE from any channel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom