2TB Internal HDD

sajal

Broken In
For movies/ software/ games etc storage. Wanting to buy internal because I have a 1TB external already. What are my options?

I checked forums and found that the both are under 6.5K

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 5400RPM SATA 64MB Cache WD20EARS Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB 7200.12

Waiting for any other suggestions or advise from you all

khmadhu

change is constant!!
yeah WD is good.. but it has 5400 RPM which will be little slow compare to 1TB
better you buy 1TB only.. and after 1 year or so.. you can go for more if required..
at that time new hard disks with greater performance and SATA 3 supported will be coming with less price..

think one more time.. (i think to fill 1TB it will take almost a year..)

OP
sajal

sajal

Broken In
Na already have 1 TB, and it gets problematic getting multiple drives.. with all the blu rays its tougher carrying on throughout a year with just a TB. Anyway, thanks guys for your inputs, I'm still unclear on which to buy

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Well Sajal I am not sure how to put this...but IMO and experience (and from what I have read in this forum itself) 1TB and 2TB HDD are not stable performance wise. I am facing a lot of issues with my 1TB HDD :(

Cilus

laborare est orare
I am having one 1 TB and one 2 TB HDD (from Seagate) inside my box and no problem till now. My suggestion will be go for the Seagate 7200 rpm one with 32 MB cache. The WD one, may be having 64 MB cache, but a solwer 5400 rpm speed.
the price of Seagate 2 TB was 6.4k, when I purchased. Right now price listing in Deltapage.com for it is 5.45k.

pegasus

Journeyman
Go for Western Digital, it is the best perfomance drive with good support
better you buy 1TB only.. and after 1 year or so.. you can go for more if required..
at that time new hard disks with greater performance and SATA 3 supported will be coming with less price..

WD Green drives had been giving problems recently, esp the EARS ones.
Also, they have been taking at least a month or 2 to provide replacements, that too after constant reminders.
They used to be so good and prompt earlier but in India, nothing good seems to last for long. :(

The only advantage they had was that they had 5 years warranty compared to 3 years for Seagate internal 7200.12 or LP but were priced higher than Seagate too.
But warranty on WD Green was dropped from 5 years to 3 years sometime back.
So they came on the same level with the WD being priced much higher.

Most people, even those who have bought WD GReen past 1-2 years, are buying the Seagate 2TB drives instead of WD 2TB green.
A few friends had picked up their 2TB Segates some weeks back and one paid Rs.5800/- while i heard that the other friend paid Rs.5500/- a few days later.

Last edited:

RPM is not everything. Its the platter density and other form factors that decided the speed of an HDD. Western Digital Cavier Blacks have 500GB per platter compared to 320GB that a normal Hard Disks and they rotate 7500 RPM.

Go for WD Cavier Black 2TB, it has 64MB Cache and Dual Core so it will fast and Rock Solid

Top Bottom