25-30K budget laptop for MBA,hostel life

soham.b

Broken In
1) What is your budget? 25-30K

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? India,kolkata

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:
b. Dislike:HP(heard about the heating problems)

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

projects,presentation,mba related stuff nd applications plus movies and hardcore browsing

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both(hostel to college)

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Strategy games Fifa,Football manager at max Counter strike..not much of a gamer now a days.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need? around 4-6

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Unfortunately Cant buy online thanks to being in kolkata, new tax policy of west bengal.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Free OS.

A solid laptop with good build quality to survive the hostel life.Good connectivity. There should be no problems with WIFI,LAN,bluetooth etc..

would buy the laptop in the first week of may

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Asus P53E-S0101D or Asus X53TA-SX096D. Former one should offer more battery life as it doesn't have any GPU. also you can buy with Cash on Delivery.

OP
S

soham.b

Broken In
Unfortunately in Kolkata presently flipkart are not selling laptops due to extra VAT charged here.

else would have bought via flipkart. Market mein i guess it wud be around 32 K.

Any idea about any new laptops coming out this month??

Also about Asus how good is its build quality??

Asus P53E-S0101D is a phenom of a laptop at that price point. I guess it would be ok for casual gaming like CS,fifa nd FM??

Any other suggestions from anyone?? :)

sarthak

In the zone
The Asus can handle older versions of those games(CS 1.6 and FIFA 2008, perhaps 2009 and 2010 too at very low settings) but nothing more than that. Its the best you can get around 30k.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
The asus lappy has intel hd 3000 which can handle fifa 12 on max. :\

FIFA 12 Gameplay INTEL HD GRAPHICS 3000 - YouTube

It can "run" other games too(even gta for instance,however you won't get decent framerates).

just go to youtube and search "xyz on intel hd 3000" (with xyz being the game you are searching for).

OP
S

soham.b

Broken In
@above

Any idea in kol where to buy?? Emall asus showroom>?? or vedanta,supreme etc??

As i would buy in may i guess i have enough time to do my research.

Any chance of getting an intel 2nd gen laptop with a dedicated gpu at this price point??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Asus K53SJ-SX539R @ 32k. the GPU is slightly better than intel's own graphics. else HP Pavilion G6-1301TX comes with better graphics processor but HP is on your hate list :)

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Try asking at vedant. I have seen some asus laptops on their shelves and a friend recently bought an asus k series from them. You can try m.d too. I guess a fellow forum user "gameranand" bought an asus from m.d( I think).

Sure you can get an intel 2nd gen cpu laptop with a dedicated gpu ay 25-30k. but most of them come with either 520m or 520mx. its not advisable to go for these however,since they are hardly better then the hd3000 and just sucks up battery life.

Here's a laptop with a 520mx:-

Asus K Series K53SC-SX628D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

OP
S

soham.b

Broken In
Lol HP is in my hate list due to the heating problems.. though my sis owns a hp pavilion which is now in its 5th year which didnt have much problems. :p.

btw wud it be cheaper to buy it from delhi or kolkata?? or the difference is negligible??

sarthak

In the zone
The asus lappy has intel hd 3000 which can handle fifa 12 on max. :\

FIFA 12 Gameplay INTEL HD GRAPHICS 3000 - YouTube

It can "run" other games too(even gta for instance,however you won't get decent framerates).

just go to youtube and search "xyz on intel hd 3000" (with xyz being the game you are searching for).

It can "run" the games, but it lags a lot (FIFA too).

OP
S

soham.b

Broken In
It would be just casual gaming...the only fear is if my old gaming avatar gets back within this 2 years of hostel life.

presently i play only football manager which can run in any config.

cool_kals9

Broken In
@above

Any idea in kol where to buy?? Emall asus showroom>?? or vedanta,supreme etc??

As i would buy in may i guess i have enough time to do my research.

Any chance of getting an intel 2nd gen laptop with a dedicated gpu at this price point??

Dude. call the asus toll free help line number.. you will be redirected to oe of their technical expert and from there, to theirs one of sales managers, if you ask appropriate questions... and she will give you one of your areas local asus representatives number.., and you are done....
just ask genuine questions....:wink::-D:twisted:

OP
S

soham.b

Broken In
ok got the min config list from colg...3gb ddr3 min required ram.2year onsite warranty in mysore. Applications to be used ms office suite ms visio ms visual studio ms sql server etc.. mu budget around the 30k mark...it might go max to max 359including the xtra 1 year warranty).

Is asus service as good as dell etc??

Any dell laptop at thais price range.. solid warranty is important i guess dats wat dey are stressing the college.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Asus K53SJ-SX539R @ 32k. the GPU is slightly better than intel's own graphics. else HP Pavilion G6-1301TX comes with better graphics processor but HP is on your hate list :)

Sure you can get an intel 2nd gen cpu laptop with a dedicated gpu ay 25-30k. but most of them come with either 520m or 520mx. its not advisable to go for these however,since they are hardly better then the hd3000 and just sucks up battery life.

Here's a laptop with a 520mx:-

Asus K Series K53SC-SX628D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

Are you saying there aint any significant improvements in graphics performance over Intel HD 3000, if one goes for 520 or 520MX?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
it'll allow you to game a bit better than what it'll perform on Intel's HD3000. moreover 520MX is an overclocked 520. so that adds up 25% extra performance of what 520 can deliver. if you get 520MX, go for it.

OP
S

soham.b

Broken In
So i am going to buy the laptop this week.So Asus P 53e is it then>?? I am going tomorrow to look at the price and to check out some models. Any new suggestions??

Top Bottom