1TB for Backup (EXT or INT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
I want to buy a 1TB HDD but confused over whether to buy a internal or external one.

The reason for confusion is that I want to use the HDD for backing up Games and Movies that I dont use or have already played them. Data gets generated at 3-4 GB per day (*cough*).

I currently have a 160 GB portable Ext HDD. But it is full upto the brim. And I am confused on the idea of using a int HDD for Backup.

So basically should i go for int or ext HDD, the main usage is Backup.

Please help guys.

Krow

Crowman
I'd say internal as you get them cheaper. Get WD Caviar Green @ 4k. Doesn't give the best transfer speeds, but is a power saver and probably the best drive for backup. I heard that the Seagate drives have reduced warranty to 3 years, so stick to WD.

Choice is yours: If you want to be able to carry your data with you:

1TB WD My Book Essential @ 5k. Pretty bulky, but good for external backup, requires external power source.

Else, go for internal drives.

1TB USB powered drives will cost 10k.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
i hv Seagate BlackArmor 1tb (with eSATA and USB 2.0) support, i purchased this External HDD for 6.9K jus for back up (of my movies, mp3 and my game ISO (which are in excess of 250GB+)..lol... as i hv a lappy (core i3 based) and my rig (core i7, see siggy) so wanted a eSATA based ext hdd, as both my lappy and PC hv this port and also, it takes way way LESS time in transferring the game ISO;s (...ahem..) in eSATA mode than using the USB 2.0.. :)

the choice is totally urs, as i wated to carry my games with me as and wen i travel, so i took an ext hdd, if u jus need a back up (with no or minimal carrying around) u can stick with an Internal hdd.. (wich is way cheaper than an ext one .. :)

Krow

Crowman
Yeah, if your motherboard supports eSATA, then get an external drive with eSATA support, that is in case you choose external drives.

If you want high transfer speed with internal drives, then WD Black 1TB @ 5k is where you should look.

OP
D

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
So finally my exams are over and planning to buy the HDD. Between an Ext and Int HDD whats the price difference. I am quite paranoid of having an int HDD for backup. So final piece of advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom