15k phone for my Dad

Hi,
Planning to get a phone for my Dad. Please see the requirements :
1. Budget? 15k
2. Display type and size? min 4"
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip? Bar
4. Preferred choice of brand? No preference
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type). Touch
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera. min 5MP,AF,Flash
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc). Andriod/ Windows
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly. 3G+Wifi
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)? All
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)? Phone,Gaming,Music,Photography,video, internet and applications
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? Canvas HD, Xolo Q800,Nokia Lumia 620
12. Any other info that you want to share Planning to buy this in next month. Any good deals or any new releases

This is going to be his first smart phone.

I own a Nexus S and Nexus 7.
He is not going to do much customization in it, but still will we get any good custom roms for Canvas HD or XOLO ?
Or should i get him the Nexus 4 ;-) ?

Android or Windows will be better for him ? Any ideas on this ?

Last edited:

acervenky

Broken In
If He Has Not Used Android,Then You Can Get Him A Lumia 520,And Save 5k.
Canvas HD Has Descent Hardware Specs,But At Last Its Micromax.
And If You Want Android,Then get A L9.

Runjesh

Broken In
If he wants a simple and easy to operate phone then surely go for Lumia 620, it has some advance features like high end devices...

sbnaul

Broken In
Yup... The Lumia 620 is easy to use... My friend has one...

The op can also check the HTC Desire X and Galaxy S Advance...

hari1

In the zone
Cheap android phones from micromax,lava etc. are mostly laggy and without better customer service like Nokia, Samsung etc. Don't even think of buying them. My vote goes for Lumia 520. It will launch in first week of April.

Thanks Guys for your replies. :lol:

I'm seriously thinking about Windows phones. not that i dont like android( i love the CUSTOM ROMS and other customizations ) , but i too haven't tasted windows experience till date and he is not familiar with Android world at all. Where as he knows windows OS as he uses PC. I guess windows phone is very similar.

Windows app store is growing , ryt ? I'm able to see whatsapp and all in there. Do we have the same VIRUS problems in windows phone also ?

The dual core processor and 512 MB in 620 is enough for Windows 8 ? I know for android , it is not enough.
Will he be able to watch HD movies and all in it ?
Do we have any nice video players like MX player in android ?
What is the difference between 520 & 620 ? I don't see much difference here ?

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
Windows app store is growing , ryt ?
The dual core processor and 512 MB in 620 is enough for Windows 8 ? I know for android , it is not enough.
Will he be able to watch HD movies and all in it ?
Do we have any nice video players like MX player in android ?
What is the difference between 520 & 620 ? I don't see much difference here ?

1. 512 MB is enough for Windows 8 for normal use not for multitasking and high end games.
2. There is no video player in the Windows Market - they don't have MXPLAYER, what I read is ,VLC is under developement
3. Difference, 620 has a LED FLASH and Front Camera 520 don't have them.

P.S YES the Win App store is growing. However heard from the members of the Forum that whatsapp is buggy in Win 8 compared to others and many apps are from MS. Eg) FB app is not from FB, it's actually from MS, so that it won't function as expected.

Last edited:
1. 512 MB is enough for Windows 8 for normal use not for multitasking and high end games.
2. There is no video player in the Windows Market - they don't have MXPLAYER, what I read is ,VLC is under developement
3. Difference, 620 has a LED FLASH and Front Camera 520 don't have them.

P.S YES the Win App store is growing. However heard from the members of the Forum that whatsapp is buggy in Win 8 compared to others and many apps are from MS. Eg) FB app is not from FB, it's actually from MS, so that it won't function as expected.

So it is better to go for Android itself ?

Sudh4r

Fire Lord

The Choice is yours. Initially I was eyeing on Nexus 4. Cause of delay, I was planning to get LUMIA 520 for the time being, so that in case Google releases N4 I can give the Lumia to my DAD, who use phone just to make calls. So if that's the case u can BUY LUMIA 520, else ANDROID.

Flash

Lost in speed
Someone updated Lumia 520 wiki has
The affordable phone brings very standard and updated technology for the masses with a dual core 1 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM, which will allow the phone to run all apps in the Windows Phone Marketplace..

*lifehacker.com/5992575/is-windows-phone-ready-to-replace-my-iphone-or-android

The choice is yours.

aroraanant

Explorer
I don't think he is an hardcore user so even HTC Desire X work for him, it has got good looks that will suit his personality too.
Apart from that you can get HTC 8S for around 16.5-17k right now, may be next month it becomes cheap.It is good option if you are looking to buy a windows 8 phone.

If he cannot use the phone to watch videos, then I'm not interested in Windows phones.
Actually I was planning to buy a TABLET + PHONE. But due to budget limitation, i changed to a phone with some >4" display which has all the free games and multimedia features.
I know Android has all these features. But not sure about Windows. I don't want him to convert HD videos to lower format just to make it play in Windows phone.

Does anybody know Windows phones, can play HD videos without lags ?

ujjwal007

Lost in games
If he cannot use the phone to watch videos, then I'm not interested in Windows phones.
Actually I was planning to buy a TABLET + PHONE. But due to budget limitation, i changed to a phone with some >4" display which has all the free games and multimedia features.
I know Android has all these features. But not sure about Windows. I don't want him to convert HD videos to lower format just to make it play in Windows phone.

Does anybody know Windows phones, can play HD videos without lags ?

yes it does

Ok.

Planning to get 520 as my first preference.

So if i am going for android, which is best option ?
Also , HTC 8S vs 520, which is better ?

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
Stick with Lumia 520 as far as Windows,cause HTC 8S is overpriced for what it offers.
Android : LG L9. With coupons you can grab one @ 15k from HomeShop18.

@theterminator : I was planing to get it from US if I was to go for that.

Any better deals ?
L9 - 14,749.00 With gift voucher

Lumia 520 - Rs 9,548.00. With gift voucher

Last edited:

ujjwal007

Lost in games
@theterminator : I was planing to get it from US if I was to go for that.

Any better deals ?
L9 - 14,749.00 With gift voucher

Lumia 520 - Rs 9,548.00. With gift voucher
the same ebay seller taking pre-order for L720 for 16.4k without coupon ( with coupon probably 16k ) how come is this possible? the official price is not even revealed yet by nokia india... link
NOKIA LUMIA 720

5fusion

Journeyman
^ The L9 it's not the INDIAN version rite ? and it don't have MANUFACTURE's WARRANTY.
yeah..Indian version has the cam module to the top left corner.

the same ebay seller taking pre-order for L720 for 16.4k without coupon ( with coupon probably 16k ) how come is this possible? the official price is not even revealed yet by nokia india... link
NOKIA LUMIA 720
strange:-?.. must be some nokia insider with his own parallel buisness:p :-D

Top Bottom