15K Laptops - Here at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I will update this post from time to time, but for starters:

Rs. 15000 range laptops have finally hit india. ACi Has made a laptop based on VIA's NanoBook specification available for indians @ 15K. It has 1 GHz ULV proccy, 40 gig HDD, 512 MB ddr2 ram, 7" 800x400 screen.

HCL is releasing a 14K EEE Like notebook with 2GB flash, and the rest like the one above.

Data:

1. HCL MiLeap *priceguru.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/hcl-mileap-thumb.jpg

*priceguru.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/mi-leap-x33.jpg
* Intel Celeron M Processor clocked at 900MHz
* Intel 915GMS Chipset
* 512MB DDR2 RAM
* 7″ (17.7cm) Wide 800×480 Resolution LCD
* 2 built-in stereo speakers
* 2GB Solid State Drive (SSD) NAND Flash Storage
* Built-in Microphone
* Headphone, Mic-in, AC-in ports
* Integrated 10/100Mbps Ethernet
* Keyboard, Touchpad,
* 802.11 b/g WiFi
* 2 x USB 2.0 ports
* 4 hrs battery life under idle state with the 6-cell battery pack
* Linux Operating System
* Dimensions: 245mm x 196mm x 44mm
* Weight: 1.44kg with 6-cell battery pack
* Price: Rs. 13,990 + Taxes
*priceguru.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/mi-leap-x11.jpg

The ACi Ultra Mini

* 7-inch LCD screen
* VIA 1.0 GHz ULV Processor
* 512MB Memory
* 40GB HDD
* WiFi & Bluetooth
* Webcam
* No Optical Drive

*priceguru.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/aci-14999-subnotebook.jpg

Acer Aspire 3680

*priceguru.in/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/acer-aspire-3680.jpg

Here are THE specifications of the Rs. 20,000/- laptop, the Aspire 3680:

* Intel Celeron M processor 430 (1 MB L2 cache, 1.73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)

* Mobile Intel 940GML Express chipset

* 256 MB of DDR2 533 MHz memory, upgradeable to 2 GB using two soDIMM modules (dual-channel support)

* 14.1″ WXGA Acer CrystalBrite TFT LCD, 1280 x 800 pixel resolution

* Intel’s GMA 950 graphics core with up to 224 MB of shared system memory (Support for DirectX 9.0)

* Intel HD Audio, S/PDIF output, Two built-in stereo speakers, microphone

* DVD/CD-RW combo drive

* 40/60GB HDD

* 5-in-1 Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)

* 802.11b/g WiFi, 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, 56k Modem

* Three USB 2.0 Ports, VGA port for External Display, S-video out, PC Card Slot II, Headphones/speaker/line-out jack

* 6-cell 44.4 W 4000 mAh Li-ion battery pack providing 2-2.5 hours of battery life

* Size - 341×251x28~35 (mm)

* Weight - 2.4Kg (5.28 lbs.)

Last edited:
Dude! You don't know what you are talking about. Ever heard of the XO-1 Laotop and the EEE PC ?

The VIA NanoBook reference design has also been implemented by Everex, makers of the gPC in their CloudBook, set for sale this year.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I am waiting for Jan 28-29 when Asus EEEPC will be launched in India! I am also looking for lternatives that would come with greater hard disk capacity.

I am waiting for Jan 28-29 when Asus EEEPC will be launched in India! I am also looking for lternatives that would come with greater hard disk capacity.
1. the EEE in India won't be as successful as the HCL Lappy, as its not "made for the nation"
2. Its flash, not hard disc.
3. This ACI Book looks quite good, as far as specs are concerned.

Last edited:

superczar

-n00b-
If you hunt around, I guess you should be able to get hold of a single core Yonah (Celeron-M) based lappy for around 20K which will be immensely faster and responsive than a Via ULV proccy

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^Its not only about the cost and/or price..We are talking about ultra-portability here!

1. the EEE in India won't be as successful as the HCL Lappy, as its not "made for the nation"
2. Its flash, not hard disc.
3. This ACI Book looks quite good, as far as specs are concerned.

I believe EEE will be the most successful of the lot! What do you mean by "made for the nation" ??

And being based on flash memory is a big advantage over normal hard disk drives..I have read that they are soon launching 16G with 16 GB flash memory onboard! I am eagerly awaiting its launch..And will probably buy it in a couple of months time!

Last edited:
^^Its not only about the cost and/or price..We are talking about ultra-portability here!

I believe EEE will be the most successful of the lot! What do you mean by "made for the nation" ??

And being based on flash memory is a big advantage over normal hard disk drives..I have read that they are soon launching 16G with 16 GB flash memory onboard! I am eagerly awaiting its launch..And will probably buy it in a couple of months time!

EEE in india may not be as cheap as expected. So I said it may suck. But now that HCL and ACI launched their books(but ACi is a NanoBook, not a FlashBook), Asus may decrease costs in india.

If it comes here for 16-20K, nobody will buy it, thats all.

And flash is not as recomended as HDD due to the fact that it has limited write cycles. Ofcource, the laptop can easily come with the OS stored in a Flash/ROM, and all its configuration files in another small cartridge. This way, the booting will still be fast and the life still long. A HDD here serves general storage perposes.

Anyway, for news:

[img[*priceguru.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/aci-14999-subnotebook.jpg[/img]

Edit: Posted pics. Man, the HCL is a real looker. May make the perfect gift for anyone. I wonder if it has a slot for a HDD too, as 2 gig flash is rather low.

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
The HCL is a real looker?
Dude, that thing is too damn fat, i dont know if we can even call it a ultra portable.

The Acer Aspire on the other hand looks a better deal IMO.

Pat

Beyond Smart
EEE in india may not be as cheap as expected. So I said it may suck. But now that HCL and ACI launched their books(but ACi is a NanoBook, not a FlashBook), Asus may decrease costs in india.

If it comes here for 16-20K, nobody will buy it, thats all.

And flash is not as recomended as HDD due to the fact that it has limited write cycles. Ofcource, the laptop can easily come with the OS stored in a Flash/ROM, and all its configuration files in another small cartridge. This way, the booting will still be fast and the life still long. A HDD here serves general storage perposes.

Anyway, for news:

[img[*priceguru.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/aci-14999-subnotebook.jpg[/img]

Edit: Posted pics. Man, the HCL is a real looker. May make the perfect gift for anyone. I wonder if it has a slot for a HDD too, as 2 gig flash is rather low.

HCL has the worst design of all..Looks wise,I find EEE PC to be the best (we are yet to see proper ACI UMPC pics..so cant comment on that)

Given a choice between HCL for 15k and EEE PC for 17-18k, I would definitely opt for EEE PC any day!

And as we are discussing UMPC, flash storage seems perfect for that..Faster performance, shock proof and also helps in a better, sleeker design!

Pathik

Google Bot
Yep. Also the EEE PC has more online support than any other sub laptop.
The HCL looks like a Baby's Lappy. The ACi doesnt look very reliable too.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
And flash is not as recomended as HDD due to the fact that it has limited write cycles.
These are not the regular flash modules you see in you "pen drives". They are much much much more reliable and guarantee thousands of times more read and write cycles. This is the reason why they are very expensive unlike the dirt cheap USB Flash drives. a 16GiB flash drive would be priced insanely high and its foolish to invest in such a product at this time.

superczar

-n00b-

For a highly price conscious user , ultra portability isn't all that important

A typical ultra portable buyer is one who already has at least 1 full blown desktop , and very likely a regular 14.1"/15.4" laptop

For a budget buyer, it is very likely this one machine needs to be something that fits all his/her needs....Which is why a first time budegt buyer would be better off buying a low cost and decently capable mainstream 14/15" laptop rather than a ultraportable

goobimama

 Macboy
I'd much too much prefer the EEE PC over this thing. The screen size might be 7", but the bezel seems to make it a whole 10"! I think it's the size of a regular laptop with the specifications of an ultra portable....

Pathik

Google Bot
I'd much too much prefer the EEE PC over this thing. The screen size might be 7", but the bezel seems to make it a whole 10"! I think it's the size of a regular laptop with the specifications of an ultra portable....
@Goobi, Nope it still isn't.
Check the attachment.
EEE on a 13.3" Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom