100 SMSes a day cap again imposed

Vignesh B

Youngling
In a fresh bid to curb unwanted text messages spanning sauna belt to apartments, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India on Monday announced new measures, including hiking the tariff for sending over 100SMSs a day and an easier system to lodge complaints.

Although it decided against levying a penalty that it had proposed earlier, officials said the proposal had not been given up yet. But the immediate focus is on SMSs sent from phones that account for a bulk of pesky promotions. Trai said within a fortnight, telecom firms must ensure that anyone crossing the 100 SMS mark a day would have to pay at least 50 paise more for every subsequent message.

Stating that Trai had adopted a "zero tolerance" approach towards pesky messages, a senior official said, "This menace will not be tolerated. This is the first of the many measures we plan to take."

The new guidelines—the tenth amendment to the rules on commercial communication or unwanted messages—propose to crack down on messages sent using software applications. Within three months, telecom operators have been asked to put in place a system that blocks messages with same or similar characters. The proposed mechanism will ensure that at best 200 messages with "similar signature" are sent in an hour. Once this limit is breached, the service provider can block it.

"We have arrived at the figure of 100 SMSs after a lot of consultation process," the Trai official said, adding that ordinary phone users will not be impacted by the measure. "Our analysis shows that on an average, a person sends two SMSs a day and 47 in a month. The limit we have prescribed is much beyond this." In any case, registered telemarketers, banks and airlines will be exempted from the new rule.

A senior official said the aim now is to control cheap bulk SMS packs. Currently, mobile service providers offer concessional SMS packs and tariff plans for bulk SMS users. "These SMS packs and tariff plans are being misused by unregistered telemarketers to send promotional SMSs to consumers. To prevent unregistered telemarketers from misusing such SMS packs or tariff plans for sending bulk promotional SMSs, a price restraint has been placed," Trai said.

In addition, the system of lodging complaints has also been eased with consumers required to merely forward the pesky message. Telecom operators have also been asked to put in place web-and email-based mechanisms to enable subscribers to lodge complaints. The regulator clarified that the measure would "in no way" put a cap on the number of SMSs one can send in a day as those beyond 100 can be sent at non-concessional rates.

"Whenever a new customer is enrolled for service, the access provider is required to take an undertaking from such customer in the Customer Acquisition Form that he shall not use the connection for telemarketing purpose and in case he does so, such connection shall be liable to be disconnected," Trai said in a statement.

Source

OP
V

Vignesh B

Youngling
^^ Agreed.
For general communication it is more than enough.
I generally prefer talking over texting, though use SMS as and when required.
But I know of many friends who send those good morning/afternoon/evening/night messages 4 times a day! :facepalm:
Those are surely going to make a hue and cry over this.

Bu what flabbergasted me is how the TRAI came up with that average of 2 SMS per day. Everywhere I look, I see people texting.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Again sad news. I'm sure TRAI didn't covered youths on their Survey. In general a youth (school and college guys) send around 200 SMS / day.

mastervk

In the zone
Again sad news. I'm sure TRAI didn't covered youths on their Survey. In general a youth (school and college guys) send around 200 SMS / day.

even though what you are saying is correct(that many young guys send so many sms) but if a person is sending that many SMS he/she is actually addicted.This will be good solution for addiction if it is actually implemented
From what i have read in newspaper this limit is not for normal users(ie only for unregistered telemarketers) .Also there is no actual "limit". after 100 sms person will have to pay money for sending sms.

Bu what flabbergasted me is how the TRAI came up with that average of 2 SMS per day. Everywhere I look, I see people texting.
I think total mobile usage is India is about 70-80 % of total population(about 800 million).as we interact more with young people we might think that everybody is sending so many messages.but i guess most of the users dont really use test message that much like People who are working(mostly),senior citizens,our parents etc..

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

^legit, this is also an unsafe move, what if disaster strikes after the limit

even though what you are saying is correct(that many young guys send so many sms) but if a person is sending that many SMS he/she is actually addicted.

whaat? nope. what about over messenger.... say whatsapp, or kik, then these limits are easily reached... why is it addiction with sms?

OP
V

Vignesh B

Youngling
Also there is no actual "limit". after 100 sms person will have to pay money for sending sms.
The "actual" limit is at 200 SMS. After that you can't send anymore when you reach that limit.

I think total mobile usage is India is about 70-80 % of total population(about 800 million).as we interact more with young people we might think that everybody is sending so many messages.but i guess most of the users dont really use test message that much like People who are working(mostly),senior citizens,our parents etc..
Perhaps you are right to an extent. But still TRAI should have taken the entire demographic into consideration for the "survey".

^legit, this is also an unsafe move, what if disaster strikes after the limit

Perhaps what TRAI can do is to remove the 200 SMS maximum limit. Let them keep this pay after 100 SMS thing if they really think it will thwart the unregistered telemarketers.

Flash

Lost in speed
Again 200SMS/day is a golden duck for telemarketers.
I wonder, apart from College/school guys who needs more than 200 per day?

mastervk

In the zone
The "actual" limit is at 200 SMS. After that you can't send anymore when you reach that limit.

Not sure about even 200 sms limit.Earlier it was implemented but now this restriction is over.If 200 message limit was available then TRAI would not have

Naxal

Little Kid
SMS is needed, better to implement law to punish the guilty.

Its like dont go out accident will happen rather than punishing the traffic law violators !!

When present telecom infrastructure can provide unlimited SMS, then why stopping by not punishing the guilty and making the needed suffer ??

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
I couldn't be more happy with the new! I wish it comes down to 70 SMS per day.I had prefer losing option of sending more than 70 SMS a day rather than getting pesky SMS from telemarketers.

And about those emergency situations i feel calling directly makes for immediate action rather than SMS. Even when you are driving doesn't your hand reach for that mobile when the SMS tone beeps only to have astrology products thrown at you. What do we do then....we fall into the habbit of ignoring the SMS.See when it comes to 50 SMS each sms would be treated with thought and that will help in emergency.

Flash

Lost in speed
IAnd about those emergency situations i feel calling directly makes for immediate action rather than SMS. Even when you are driving doesn't your hand reach for that mobile when the SMS tone beeps only to have astrology products thrown at you. What do we do then....we fall into the habbit of ignoring the SMS.See when it comes to 50 SMS each sms would be treated with thought and that will help in emergency.

Well said, freshseasons.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
The only people who would really be affected by this would be people who have speech problem (they communicate via SMS only) . rest of the guys.. please move to GRPS/3G

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
even though what you are saying is correct(that many young guys send so many sms) but if a person is sending that many SMS he/she is actually addicted.This will be good solution for addiction if it is actually implemented

I don't agree that this is addiction. There are many practical problems in that age, and that is the reason they use SMS as their medium of chatting.

Like on first stage, a school or college students doesn't get enough pocket money (except those rich guys) to recharge their phone for calling and use bonus call rate cutter.

Then, in those stage of life, almost no family accepts their children getting into a relationship (specially for girls) in India, so they choose SMS as their medium for chatting instead of calling :p

Well, these points matters, specially in India.

Again there are points like age, like in their age, they chat with friends more than us (incoming people). We only contact our friends in say on weekends and on some special time, but it's never like a school and college guys.

Hope these points are correct.

The only people who would really be affected by this would be people who have speech problem (they communicate via SMS only) . rest of the guys.. please move to GRPS/3G

Not everyone has smart phone. Not everyone has computer.

In INDIA, there are many peoples who managed to get a basic Nokia phone after begging enough to their parents.

Flash

Lost in speed
To my knowledge, its the working-citizens who get targeted MOSTLY by the telemarketers with their "BUY THIS" ads. Because, they're the ones who can actually buy the product. When compared to the ratio of College/school guys, the probability of targeting/buying is very very low.

We just have to think nuisance at a broader level, Please don't limit yourself to a certain group.

Moreover, its easy to acquire a group of numbers if the SIM-card representative sells CUG-based SIMs to a corporate. In general, the corporate SIMs mobile numbers will be consecutive. It will start like 98765 11111, 11112, 11113 and ends like 98765 20000. So, the telemarketers will safely target their ADS to this working community rather than the consecutive numbers (usual people) scattered across the states.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I honestly think these kids are more comfortable chatting than calling, donno what reason, maybe lecture is going on or they dont want others to overhear, whatever, its awesome that they are comfortable with this medium from the start itself, dont see anything wrong in it at all
point is its just another medium as posted two posts above, just like air and voice, we have a different kind of air and text
im imagining a kidnapping, earthquakes, bomb blasts, but these are thankfully rare, but even regular occurrences such as a floods, you might want to send messages to a few people in the phonebook saying you are perfectly safe
sms is a way of communicating with a large number of people, and this has it's advantages, telemarketers are not the only ones doing this, sure there are many phone chains out there for whatever reasons, these _random_ rules don't help... one common scenario that everyone will eventually run into is being part of a coll fast. boom 200 messages a day easy. telemarketers should be allowed or disallowed, or the dnd list should work, as against restricting general, legit usage with arbitrary restrictions, why 200? why not 2? or 2000? the number makes no sense, because there is no uniform usage scenario... for an entire year you might not send a single sms at all but that one day you might need to send out 201

bubusam13

Human
I just wanna ask

The new guidelines—the tenth amendment to the rules on commercial communication or unwanted messages—propose to crack down on messages sent using software applications. Within three months, telecom operators have been asked to put in place a system that blocks messages with same or similar characters.

If I send my girlfriend I lov u or M sorry SMS 3 times, will I gonna filter my SMSes ? And what blocking similar characters ? They are now going to sensor SMS. People we are loosing our freedom at slow pace.

I agree with Anorion. Sometime I send a lot, many time not even 2.

Top Bottom