10 reasons Ubuntu 9.10 will be a game changer for business

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
When 9.04 shipped, it became clear that Ubuntu had done what all other Linux operating systems have failed to do — truly become an operating system anyone can use. Yes, there are plenty of good, solid, easy-to-use Linux distributions, but none of them has reached such a level of both simplicity and appeal.

Now, with the release of 9.10, Ubuntu will one-up itself by taking its already user-friendly Linux distribution and making a concerted effort to gain ground with the business/enterprise crowd. And from what I have seen, it just might work. Here are 10 reasons why Ubuntu 9.10 should make businesses happy.

Read the rest of the story here

Not sure how much of a hit Ubuntu is on the server end, but it sure is ruling the desktops

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
After installing Ubuntu 9.10, the software center failed to install any software. Neither manually installing the software worked but finally I resolved the issue & now I feel its good. Let's see as I have still lots to discover & experience in this new release.

6x6

Journeyman
ubuntu 9.10 looks good, but its buggy.

my pc was going to sleep mode with no option to wakeup again, only way was to press reset button. now i have kept sleep mode off :)

gdesklets stopped working within a week, now i am with screenlets :)

software center worked for me from start, though i rarely use it. now ubuntu 9.10 is working fine

vamsi360

Always confused
Ubuntu Karmic is the worst release ever in Ubuntu's history. I am really frustrated. Even during installing i failed 5 times with Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Finally I gave up. Thats the case with my desktop. In my laptop, i was successful but the apps are going crazy. The only + is the Intel Graphics driver.

Finally, after experiencing pain I swithed over to Mandriva 2010 which is really awesome. I wonder why Mandriva doesn't deserve mention. I really love this distro. I was actually waiting for Fedora 12 but Mandriva caught me.

Read my experience *vamsisubhash.co.cc/2009/11/11/mandriva-and-me-perfect-match/

Rahim

Married!
^Bottomline, vamsi360, is that since these distros gets made by different people with different ideas, it won't be fit-fora-ll type ever. Had this had been the case, there won't be a term or activity called 'distro-hopping'.

I, too, have read really bad reviews of KK since new technologies and features have been added, which is bound to buggy. But considering the attraction of users to date with Linux with Ubuntu's ease and appeal/simplicity, Ubuntu deserves all the praise or credit in FOSS community.

Mandriva is very new user friendly , which PCLinuxOS had the position previously. But the latter went downhill with inactive dve cycle which prompted Mandriva and openSUSE to race ahead.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Still I would rate Ubuntu as the fastest developing distro. By fastest developing I don't mean including cutting edge technologies, that crown is on Fedora's head.

vamsi360

Always confused
Mandriva is very new user friendly , which PCLinuxOS had the position previously. But the latter went downhill with inactive dve cycle which prompted Mandriva and openSUSE to race ahead.

Mandriva is one of the oldest distros to survive. Mandriva is used mainly for mainstream purposes (Just now I read from LFY). Even in my college we use Mandriva Enterprise and RedHat Enterprise. I am really enjoying this distro.

Downloaded Opensuse 11.2 2 days back. But after playing with the Live KDE environment I didn't find a compelling reason to move away from Mandriva. I will dual boot Fedora 12 with Mandriva when it arrives.

Still I would rate Ubuntu as the fastest developing distro. By fastest developing I don't mean including cutting edge technologies, that crown is on Fedora's head.

+1. I would add that Fedora is overthrown by Ubuntu just because of money and more easiness. But when Ubuntu starts experimenting it just becomes another Knoppix. Remember Knoppix story?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed. Should I install 9.10 ? Is it really worth trying ?

6x6

Journeyman
^ if you are using 9.04 and it doesnt having any major problem, better wait for 10.04

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
+1. I would add that Fedora is overthrown by Ubuntu just because of money and more easiness. But when Ubuntu starts experimenting it just becomes another Knoppix. Remember Knoppix story?

Knoppix Story? I don't know. Please tell me.

Krow

Crowman
IMHO Karmic shutdown is much better than Jaunty. Karmic takes 3-6 seconds to shutdown in my rig.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
everything's fine in my 9.04 box. I dont have any problem with it :) , I had upgraded from 8.10, though 8.10 had given me problems 9.04 works like charm :D. Ill stick to 9.04 ;)

Krow

Crowman
I'm going :offtopic: now. I tried to install Sabayon 5 today, but it does not detect the HDD I want to install it in. I have a 160GB Hitachi and a 500GB Seagate. The 160GB is only for OS and I have XP, 7 and Karmic installed. Now I made a 25GB partition for Sabayon. I burned the iso image to dvd and ran it boot time. During installation first of all it shows drives only under my Seagate HDD (STxxxxxxxxx), while my Hitachi drive is not shown. What do I do about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom