1 ram better than 2???

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
is having 1 1gig ram modle better or having 2 512 ram modules better ... i chkd the net and came across a site which said 2 are better .... but how true is it and is there any noticable performance change ???

satyamy

Alive Again...
1 is better in terms of money
it can save ur price instead of buying 2
also if u have 2 slots
& u put 1 1GB RAM
u can upgrade to 2GB in future

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
512X2 is always better than 1X1gig stick coz performance of ur com gets divided on two separate sticks not on one. it ll boost ur entire com performance.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
bhushan05d251 said:
512X2 is always better than 1X1gig stick coz performance of ur com gets divided on two separate sticks not on one.

Only if one runs it under Dual Channel mode...

if doesnt, then doesnt matter whether 2 or 1 Stick... performance will be same...

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
+point -point

The plus point:

Tasks are divided on separate RAMs

The minus point:

Consumes more power.

Josan

Gangsta
Yeah ! 2X512 Is Better than the single Igb ram in terms of its performance(not much better ) , but the question is still there that why would you like to pay a sum of money for this little better performance .
I must advice you to go for the 1gb all ,that will be better for you ,but still choice is yours !!!!!!!!!!

xbonez

NP : Crysis
if ur mobo supports dual channel and both ram modules are isentical, using two modules is much better than one

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hmmm ... would it be fair if i concluded that 2 rams than 1 is advisable however there isnt any significant performance change

xbonez

NP : Crysis
^^u got the first bit correct that 2 ram modules are better than 1, but the performance diff is significant

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
So if/when I install a real version of Vista it is advisable to have two sticks (2x512) as apposed to one. Also was told if I had four slots I should put ram in 1 & 3. not 1 & 2, does that make sense to anyone???

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ya theres some theory behind it ... some parallel access to the ram which is better

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Its simple dual channel. Buy 2X512 MB sticks instead of 1 1 GB is better due to Dual channel memory support in all CPU platforms out there right now. Nothing more to discuss.

Also was told if I had four slots I should put ram in 1 & 3. not 1 & 2, does that make sense to anyone???

Yup 1 & 3, then 2 & 4, thats how dual channel arrangement works.

rocket357

Security freak
Liggy said:
So if/when I install a real version of Vista it is advisable to have two sticks (2x512) as apposed to one. Also was told if I had four slots I should put ram in 1 & 3. not 1 & 2, does that make sense to anyone???

While what these guys are telling you is true to a great extent, this also depends on your motherboard. I have a very strange motherboard (that doesn't seem to follow convention) that has dual channel ability (the manual has like 2 pages of RAM configuration options...if you use 1/3 or 2/4 then it's single channel, 1/2 or 3/4 is dual channel, etc...). So make sure you check with your motherboard manufacturer to get the optimum setup (just in case).

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
thanks guyz, yeah I did check out my OEM's spec before I tried it, was just woundering if it was fact or fiction, Thanks everyone!

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Also was told if I had four slots I should put ram in 1 & 3. not 1 & 2, does that make sense to anyone???

Yup 1 & 3, then 2 & 4, thats how dual channel arrangement works.

Yes,I experienced a Bootup Error due to this on my Intel MotherBoard;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom