1 or 1.5 or 2TB hard disk suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
Hello,
I'm planning to buy a hard disk for storing movies primarily. I want either a 1 or 1.5 or 2TB hard disk. But I'm not sure which ones are good to buy and what the prices are. Based on the reviews on some sites I had planned to buy a Segate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB. But its not available anyways, so thats why I'm looking for some alternatives.
I've also heard about some models crashing a lot, so could you please tell me which ones are those...
I hope you can help me with this problem.
Thanks a lot.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Check Western Digital Caviar Black series 2Tb Drives. Price is around 7k and lot faster than 7200.12 and Western Digital Caviar Blue.

OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
Wow 2 TB only for 7 k? Thats quite good. But I sure hope its reliable and stuff. I don't want it crashing on me in a few months...

ksundar

Broken In
When u buy external Harddisk,always prefer "eSATA" compliant even if it looks bit pricey,

It makes real difference,USB<Firewire<<<eSATA.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^
agreed, but not all mobo's hv e-SATA port so its better to hv Firewire as the bare minimum (if not eSATA) :)

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
varun,
I own a caviar black 1TB myself. Its unimaginably fast. if you are looking for a high speed drive then please go for caviar black. I easily get real time copy of over 80 mbps on vista between drives. if you are looking for just a storage space this might not be needed.
pros:
1. fast
2. Really fast
3. Really really fast
cons:
1. generates a lot of heat.
2. can be really noisy.
3. cost.

let me know if you want to know anything more about this.

popularbhaskar

emmarbee

Journeyman
Desiibond, instead of telling "sorry" - edit that post mate. I lost my breath for a sec there...

And recommendation for OP - seagate 7200.11 - 1TB (4.5K) (www.deltapage.com).
BTW, I'm a Western Digital Fan - WD ROCKS!

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
emmarbee.. i join you in lost my breathe group. i bot myself a 1TB caviar Black recently for around 7k. i really enjoy the roaring speed it gives up. The disk throughput was unmatchable with any of my harddisk pool.

abhadi

Broken In
Desiibond, instead of telling "sorry" - edit that post mate. I lost my breath for a sec there...

And recommendation for OP - seagate 7200.11 - 1TB (4.5K) (www.deltapage.com).
BTW, I'm a Western Digital Fan - WD ROCKS!

^^ buddy.. . its 7200.12 for 4.5k ... just bought that on 2/7 ... :)

OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
Okay update time guys. I've just bought the Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB Hard Disk for............. a whooping Rs. 13k! People all around me are cursing me about my purchase decision, but what the heck. This hard disk will surely go a long with with all the HD content coming in.

I want to seriously thank all of you for taking the time to help me out. Keep up the amazing work. You guys seriously rock!

^^ buddy.. . its 7200.12 for 4.5k ... just bought that on 2/7 ... :)
Wow! 4.5K for a 32mb Buffer 7200RPM 1TB HDD ? Any idea how reliable is it ? When you buy a 1TB HDD, you normally store a LOT of data in it. I expect to rest in peace atleast for 5 years without worrying about my HDD dying.

RMN

In the zone
guys the Western Digital SATA II 1 Terabyte (32 MB Buffer) comes only in Caviar Black right?
and is that the one listed for 4.5k in ITwares?

Okay update time guys. I've just bought the Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB Hard Disk for............. a whooping Rs. 13k! People all around me are cursing me about my purchase decision, but what the heck. This hard disk will surely go a long with with all the HD content coming in.

I want to seriously thank all of you for taking the time to help me out. Keep up the amazing work. You guys seriously rock!

I am curious. From where you've purchased it? Its not even released.

Ya it is released! You can find it at theitwares for Rs. 12,500!

*www.theitwares.com/hdd/hdd.htm

That might be WD Cavier Green. There is no information of WD Cavier Black 2 TB version in Western Digital Website and newegg.

According to latest information WD Cavier Black 2TB Version is yet to be released and it will have 64MB Buffer

*www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/22/wd_2tb_caviar_black/
*www.hardmac.com/news/2009/06/23/wd-caviar-black-2-tb-at-7200-rpm-soon-in-shops
*www.techpowerup.com/index.php?97412

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom