Sony PlayStation 4 discussion | Trolls will be banned

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
I think after they get a solid user-base(which they will) greed will take over and you will get 2 crap free games per month

I Still prefer steam though ;-)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
So I deiced to watch every single direct live before commenting on each compnay's performances.

Over here, Sony, EA and Ubi are relevant so:

EA's display was interesting, although not at all exciting. They seem to have copied concepts from Drive Club for their NFS: Rivals game. The new EA Sports engine is pretty good and I especially liked how various animations integrate with each other to create seamless transitions. Also nice was the new collision system being used in EA's UFC game. BF4 was just like BF3 but with better destructive environments and a new commander mode. Otherwise gameplay was almost identical. Satisfactory but not impressive. Visuals only felt slightly improved on the PC version.

Ubisoft had a better showing than EA. Even their cacing game The Crew seems to copy concepts from Drive Club. I didn't like the new Splinter Cell, although the new Rayman was awesome. Their Mighty Quest for Loot looks like a very, very interesting concept and I would like to see more of it in action. The new Rocksmith is decent too. The biggest negative was their tie-up with microshaft for that "Rabbids Invasion was a completely lame-arse concept, and does not really work as they described it would.

Sony's E3 was the best of them all. Right from the get-go they were taking lots and lots of pot-shots at Microsoft ("our console is firstly a gaming console... [and] contains features that are useful"). They announced lots of new games, some very interesting and some not so much. Diablo III was one of the lamest (nobody clapped). While they had a sizable number of exclusives, many of their indie games were not and some are also coming to PC and Wii U. In the end they totally slam-dunked Microsoft, because of the way they announced their used games, internet policies and price! Added bonus was that the PS4 does not even divide games into regions! When I first saw the console, I thought "Okay, what are they doing showing an Xrhombus to us?" It looks sleeker but as fugly as the Xbox one. I also thought, "Did AMD design them or something?".

Like I saw in one picture:

*0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/69/78/78e4548401508674352408f40f1636b4-bold-italic.jpg

Like they said, "We're hoping that people will be proud to own our console." :lol:

Oddly enough, all three console makers have managed to release ugly consoles this year. The fat PS3 literally looks like a work of art compared to the PS4.

Another disappointment was that online multiplayer requires PS+. My problem is that I don't want to make a visit to the bank every month just to fill a $5 [or Canadian Dollar/Indian Rupee equivalent amount]. Sure I could use PSN prepaid cards, but come on, we don't have them in India. And the near-Euro levels (when the rupee was stable) exchange rate against the US dollar nowadays makes it even worse. I just hope the console is priced right in India, or many gamers here will be affected. I want to see a ~25k price in the Indian market.

I also heard that the pricing of the console was decided after the M$ E3 conference. I think they just wanted to drive a jackhammer into M$'s already sore arsehole.

I am also sure that sony is making a loss on their console ("it is a very compelling price").

Personally, now I am uncertain about getting a PS4. Main reasons are that the console looks horrible, and online multiplayer requires PS+. I might just buy a Wii U instead now.

Last edited:

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
So I deiced to watch every single direct live before commenting on each compnay's performances.

Over here, Sony, EA and Ubi are relevant so:

EA's display was interesting, although not at all exciting. They seem to have copied concepts from Drive Club for their NFS: Rivals game. The new EA Sports engine is pretty good and I especially liked how various animations integrate with each other to create seamless transitions. Also nice was the new collision system being used in EA's UFC game.

Ubisoft had a better showing than EA. Even their cacing game The Crew seems to copy concepts from Drive Club. I didn't like the new Splinter Cell, although the new Rayman was awesome. Their Mighty Quest for Loot looks like a very, very interesting concept and I would like to see more of it in action. The new Rocksmith is decent too. The biggest negative was their tie-up with microshaft for that "Rabbids Invasion was a completely lame-arse concept, and does not really work as they described it would.

Sony's E3 was the best of them all. Right from the get-go they were taking lots and lots of pot-shots at Microsoft ("our console is firstly a gaming console... [and] contains features that are useful"). They announced lots of new games, some very interesting and some not so much. Diablo III was one of the lamest (nobody clapped). While they had a sizable number of exclusives, many of their indie games were not and some are also coming to PC and Wii U. In the end they totally slam-dunked Microsoft, because of the way they announced their used games, internet policies and price! When I first saw the console, I thought "Okay, what are they doing showing an Xrhombus to us?" It looks sleeker but as fugly as the Xbox one. I also thought, "Did AMD design them or something?".

Like I saw in one picture:

*0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/69/78/78e4548401508674352408f40f1636b4-bold-italic.jpg

Like they said, "We're hoping that people will be proud to own our console." :lol:

Oddly enough, all three console makers have managed to release ugly consoles this year. The fat PS3 literally looks like a work of art compared to the PS4.

Another disappointment was that online multiplayer requires PS+. My problem is that I don't want to make a visit to the bank every month just to fill a $5 [or Canadian Dollar/Indian Rupee equivalent amount]. Sure I could use PSN prepaid cards, but come on, we don't have them in India. And the near-Euro levels (when the rupee was stable) exchange rate against the US dollar nowadays makes it even worse. I just hope the console is priced right in India, or many gamers here will be affected. I want to see a ~25k price in the Indian market.

I also heard that the pricing of the console was decided after the M$ E3 conference. I think they just wanted to drive a jackhammer into M$'s already sore arsehole.

I am also sure that sony is making a loss on their console ("it is a very compelling price").

Personally, now I am uncertain about getting a PS4. Main reasons are that the console looks horrible, and online multiplayer requires PS+.
I second that

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent

And you think they are shedding tears of joy at home when people buy their consoles and enjoy the entertainment when they are losing "Sony Empire" on PS4 loses??

Sigh..

The architecture allows them to cut down the prices from "wannabe soaring" (much like people expected it to be, but not in reality) high and still gain the profits. Oh yes!! it surely could have gone the north and they could have made much higher profits, but this time they chose to reap less profits for a larger sales. Its called business strategy.

Krow

Crowman
And you think they are shedding tears of joy at home when people buy their consoles and enjoy the entertainment when they are losing "Sony Empire" on PS4 loses??

Sigh..

The architecture allows them to cut down the prices from "wannabe soaring" (much like people expected it to be, but not in reality) high and still gain the profits. Oh yes!! it surely could have gone the north and they could have made much higher profits, but this time they chose to reap less profits for a larger sales. Its called business strategy.

I do not understand why you have to sigh and be so dismissive.

EG's point is valid and could be true. I'm guessing they're selling at zero profit and banking on PS+ for profits.

But the point is, EG, me or you could be right, we do not know what Sony's strategy is. Would be great to look at each post constructively as opposed to dismissing plausible theories. :)

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I do not understand why you have to sigh and be so dismissive.

EG's point is valid and could be true. I'm guessing they're selling at zero profit and banking on PS+ for profits.

But the point is, EG, me or you could be right, we do not know what Sony's strategy is. Would be great to look at each post constructively as opposed to dismissing plausible theories. :)

Can you please tell me which of the rules did I break by being dismissive about something that I don't wanna approve?

And someone selling their goods for a loss doesn't compliment the word business and I sighed on it. BTW, is sighing a mistake too??

PS:: I got your point in taking each of the post constructively, can you see me pointing out to his entire post and dismissing his opinion if at all??

Krow

Crowman
Forum rules allow us to make a suggestion or two once in a while. And they allow me to disapprove of dismissiveness of valid arguments (as a user, not a mod). :)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

Sigh..

Can you please tell me which of the rules did I break by being dismissive about something that I don't wanna approve?

And someone selling their goods for a loss doesn't compliment the word business and I sighed on it. BTW, is sighing a mistake too??

PS:: I got your point in taking each of the post constructively, can you see me pointing out to his entire post and dismissing his opinion if at all??

The point is that you can disagree with me but you don't need to be so abrasive about it.

I clearly mentioned that sources said that the PS4 price was decided after Microsoft's E3 conference. This indicates that they slashed the price to add further insult to the injuries M$ sustained. Don't forget that there was also a delay. For all you know, they could have been updating the price from $499 to $399. $100 can make the difference between profit and loss.

The reasons for a potential loss on the console is that the APU is only using next generation architectures. The jaguar is a semicustom octacore and GCN 2.0 seems to be making it's debut on these 8th generation platforms. This means that the chip is more expensive than the retail units of the jaguar APU. Add to that the potential yield from each wafer. As a first production chip, the yields will be worse than AMD's established lineup. Since the die is also bigger than the retail SKUs, there is more chance of lower yields in the beginning. Obviously that has to be factored into AMD's pricing for their jaguar units being sold to sony. Since all PS4 units will run identical specs, it means that there cant be multiple SKUs for this custom jaguar. So even functional chips that just cant run at the speeds sony needs will have to be dumped. while such chips may be relatively few, their cost also has to be factored in. Add to that middleman costs- the fab (not sure if TSMC or GloFo).

Then look at the fact that a whopping 8GB of GDDR5 with high density chips is being used.
x86-64 is an instruction set, not an architecture, so it does not make a meaningful impact on hardware design costs.

Then add the costs of their minor chips intended to reduce CPU strain. Then add PCB, chassis, PSU and Blu ray player costs. Add the cost for minor components like capacitors, heatsinks, diodes, chokes, mosfets etc.

Add costs for shipping to assembly lines. Add costs for assembly and packaging. And then add costs for shipping the final product. And then government taxes.

Note that I didn't even take the included accessories into account.

Add to that the fact that sony historically has always sold it's platform at a loss.

I thought sony would be breaking even at $499. At $399 I do not see that happening.

Prices decrease every few years not because manufacturers cut down profits but because of improved yields, feature cuts and reduced materials usage due to die shrinks, redesigned PCBs and smaller packages. Add to that the fact that certain components become cheaper to acquire every few years.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
the PS3 was initially sold at a loss for quite some time, they tried to make up for it through game sales but it didn't help much. so some Business models do make a loss on one end & try to make up for that loss on the other end.

so, yea maybe the PS4 will be sold at a loss and they're trying to make a profit through PS+ & game sales or the PS4 will be sold at a profit since it has a GPU that's half the power of a GTX 680, so component prices may be low and so will manufacturing costs. what I'm saying is that we'll never know until the sales charts are out after a few months of release.....

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Am I the only one who likes the look of PS4?

Seriously, how's this

*media.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/files/2012/11/PS3-super-slim.jpg

better than this?

*media.edge-online.com/wp-content/uploads/edgeonline/2013/06/PS4-5-610x406.jpeg

Look at dem sharp edges and that alien-tech-like gap. (*www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/confused/dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Am I the only one who likes the look of PS4?

Seriously, how's this

*media.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/files/2012/11/PS3-super-slim.jpg

better than this?

*media.edge-online.com/wp-content/uploads/edgeonline/2013/06/PS4-5-610x406.jpeg

Look at dem sharp edges and that alien-tech-like gap. (*www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/confused/dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif)

I hate the look of both. I like the first two PS3 designs. Not the last two like you posted here. That is why I categorically stated that the fat PS3 looks like a work of art compared to the PS4.

Top Bottom