Opera files a case against Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ah damn !!!

Maroons said:
IE8 will not follow all standards. It may improve somewhat, but Microsoft's history shows that they are all talk and no action in these cases.

Still, it doesn't matter if we think IE8 might do things right. The fact is that Microsoft is doing bad things right now, and they should be forced to stop being anti-competitive. By doing this, we will be absolutely sure that IE8 will be standards compliant, and will not just have to rely on a promise by a commpany which is known to lie.
you sound like a fired MS employee :D MS's history :lol: or steve ballmer said to u that they are lieing or its pure speculatin by u :rolleyes:
Maroons said:
They have. Many sites block these browsers too.
i wonder why havent they filed a anti-trust complaint agains MS at the EUAM

Maroons said:
No. The reason Opera does this now is that right now an investigation is already underway in the EU.
ya i know .... we cant beat u by our own merit so we will sue u in front of a biased organisation that hates u as it is :)

Maroons said:
IE is not available for Linux.
i know so opera is avaiable still firefox has managed to get itself a place in all linux distros and not opera ;)

Maroons said:
And besides, even after a decade and lots of money spent on trying to win over IE, IE still has a market share of more than 80% globally.
its the best amongst the rest :D
Maroons said:
This would not be the case if IE actually had to compete on equal terms as everyone else!
ya ya we all know linux will over throw windows play station will beat x360 and what not :rolleyes:

Maroons said:
1: This is not a lawsuit.
2: Canonical is not a monopolist, and neither is Firefox.
3: Firefox is actually standards compliant.
canonical is a monopolist it has bundled firefox with every linux distro and there by not giving users the option to choose very much same as IE is not giving the users an option to choose :D
Maroons said:
Plainly put, "suing" Firefox or anyone else was never an
option, because only Microsoft is being anti-competitive due to its domination of the desktop market.
re-phrasing in simpler terms:

MS being numero uno is an easy target as it has a big Bulls Eye imprinted on its a$$ and every1 takes aim at it ;)
Maroons said:
Again, if the competing terms had been equal, Firefox would have had a much greater market share and would have had to spend a lot less money to achieve that.
so shoudlnt firefox be suing MS why opera ... coz firefox has gained market share and is pretty happy with its browser being in amost every Linux distro where as Opera has nothing other than portables so deciding to sue MS gets it more publiity as a result more people will choose to see what it is and bringing this issue in front of the EUAM as it is has its merits
Maroons said:
And even after all this time, IE still has more than 80% market share globally.
ya i know it pwns every other browser totally :twisted:
Maroons said:
The reason Safari is growing is because Mac has gotten slightly more popular, but not enough to become a real threat to Microsoft's dominance.
so this doesnt mean that apple cant file an anti-trust complaint against MS for their browser not complying to "standards"
Maroons said:
The reason Safari was ported to Windows was to make sure people could develop for the iPhone.
o i see el jobso discussed this with u i guess :rolleyes:
Maroons said:
Again, it is not a lawsuit, and it is not a publicity stunt either. It is an antitrust complaint which actually benefits everyone, including Apple and Mozilla. And normal users.
which again brings to the main reason why doubt Opera's motive why did not apple or firefox file the complaint despite of knowing that IE does not comply to the "standards" :rolleyes:

and benefits every1 - this publicity stunt benefits no 1 other than opera ;)

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
@imav, the reason that IE has 80% market share is not because it is better, but because a lot of windows users dont know there are alternatives, and also many dont know the security issues can be reduced by browsing with alternative browsers such as Opera and Firefox...

Arun

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
sakumar79 said:
@imav, the reason that IE has 80% market share is not because it is better, but because a lot of windows users dont know there are alternatives, and also many dont know the security issues can be reduced by browsing with alternative browsers such as Opera and Firefox...

Arun
o yeah right i forgot people dont use mobile fones; they dont use play stations :rolleyes: ur right i completely forgot that :rolleyes: nokia users dont know about opera's existence very true ;)

aur agar patta hotta toh bhi kya ukhad letta ... :D

Indyan

Here Since 2003
so really dont find that concern to be 1 as Firefox or Safari havnt had an issue with it
Who says?
Firefox is having less trouble these days as it is popular. So web developers are also taking the pain of making their website fx compatible. Opera's point is if IE was standards compliant then web devs wouldnt need to put in fixes for individual browsers.

Also IE 8 will not be 100% standards compliant (no browser is, but ie 8 would still be quite a bit behind opera,safari and fx).

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Indyan said:
Firefox is having less trouble these days as it is popular. So web developers are also taking the pain of making their website fx compatible.
exactly what im saying ... opera wants publicity as it is no where when compared to fireofx or IE and therefore is crying

and i dont thikn popularity is the reason why firefox or safari hasnt filed the anti-trust complaint opera a browser that cant get linux distros to bundle their software with the distros it cant get any significant share in the pc segment so what does 1 do when they cant beat u - sue u .... ;) aur kuch :rolleyes:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
you sound like a fired MS employee :D MS's history :lol: or steve ballmer said to u that they are lieing or its pure speculatin by u
While you are self confessed "Devil's advocate"!! :))

iMav said:
ya i know .... we cant beat u by our own merit so we will sue u in front of a biased organisation that hates u as it is
Strike the iron when hot! ;)

iMav said:
i know so opera is avaiable still firefox has managed to get itself a place in all linux distros and not opera
GET THIS IN YOUR HEAD THAT FIREFOX IS OSS WHILE OPERA IS NOT!

iMav said:
its the best amongst the rest :D ya ya we all know linux will over throw windows play station will beat x360 and what not
As if you are the deciding factor. Come to the point, dude!

iMav said:
canonical is a monopolist it has bundled firefox with every linux distro and there by not giving users the option to choose very much same as IE is not giving the users an option to choose
Firefox is chosen coz its an OSS browser. Galeon is also bundled and so is Konqueror. All are OSS products and are bundled with Canonical sponsered products (Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc.). Kindly do not make a mockery of yourself if you do not know things. Plz stick to the point rather than digressing.

iMav said:
MS being numero uno is an easy target as it has a big Bulls Eye imprinted on its a$$ and every1 takes aim at it ;)
This is very true! :)

iMav said:
so shoudlnt firefox be suing MS why opera ... coz firefox has gained market share and is pretty happy with its browser being in amost every Linux distro where as Opera has nothing other than portables so deciding to sue MS gets it more publiity as a result more people will choose to see what it is and bringing this issue in front of the EUAM as it is has its merits
Opera has its own cult (ask Pallab and Charan! ;) ) Firefox is more community based. And I'm sure FF is NOT happy with the market share. Everyone would like to haf the largest market share, isn't it? :)

iMav said:
so this doesnt mean that apple cant file an anti-trust complaint against MS for their browser not complying to "standards"
Of corz Apple can. But they are doing the same thing, isn't it? Bundling Safari? Who would like to hurt themselves? ;)

iMav said:
which again brings to the main reason why doubt Opera's motive why did not apple or firefox file the complaint despite of knowing that IE does not comply to the "standards" :rolleyes:
I guess this was answered above.

iMav said:
and benefits every1 - this publicity stunt benefits no 1 other than opera ;)
It maybe true. We never know :)

And I agree with sakumar regarding popularity of IE. It is just coz IE is bundled with Windows and users lack knowledge about alternative browsers that IE has 70%+ market share.

But there is no doubt that apart from Safari, IE has the best default UI :)

Pathik

Google Bot
infra_red_dude said:
But there is no doubt that apart from Safari, IE has the best default UI :)
IE's UI is better than Opera's??? wth.
Opera has the most functional UI compared to all other browsers.

sakumar79

Technomancer
@pathiks, IE has an interface much more familiar to someone on Windows since it is part of Windows... So, for a new user, Opera looks a bit challenging while compared to IE... I have seen this with quite a few friends/relatives...

@imav, the amount of people using browsers in mobile phone is still limited compared to the total number of people using mobile phones... You have to look at the larger picture rather than think of a limited audience...

Arun

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@infra: not self confessed - term given by a fren liked it so kept it

and also why not tell opera to go OSS then :D and being OSS doesnt mean that it cannot go to cannonical and tell them to bundle their browser ;)

@arun: most people know about firefox and not opera - this is not MS's fault or IE's success but opera's failure to generate mass appeal and this is exactly what it is trying to do with this anti-trust complaint ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
and also why not tell opera to go OSS then :D
Ask Adobe to make PS OSS, Ask Apple to make Mac OSS. Dude, you jus can't demand things like that! Its their choice.

iMav said:
being OSS doesnt mean that it cannot go to cannonical and tell them to bundle their browser
Exactly! That is why no browser has monopoly in GNU/Linux. You find Firefox, Epiphany, Galeon, Konquorer in different distros. If you want Opera, you are free to install it, WITHOUT HAFING TO INSTALL ANY BROWSER IN FIRST PLACE. At least don't be foolish in comparing the choices provided by OSS with a closed source company.

iMav said:
@arun: most people know about firefox and not opera - this is not MS's fault or IE's success but opera's failure to generate mass appeal and this is exactly what it is trying to do with this anti-trust complaint ;)
We are only talking about why IE is more popular than the 3 and NOT why opera is NOT! :)

@Others
I find IE's default UI cooler than any other browser. Personal opinion... of corz! :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
infra_red_dude said:
Ask Adobe to make PS OSS, Ask Apple to make Mac OSS. Dude, you jus can't demand things like that! Its their choice.
whether to bundle IE or how IE should be, should also be MS's choice and not opera or EU's choice ;)
infra_red_dude said:
Exactly! That is why no browser has monopoly in GNU/Linux. You find Firefox, Epiphany, Galeon, Konquorer in different distros. If you want Opera, you are free to install it, WITHOUT HAFING TO INSTALL ANY BROWSER IN FIRST PLACE. At least don't be foolish in comparing the choices provided by OSS with a closed source company.
MS comes with a browser and allows to install others whats the harm in that :?

infra_red_dude said:
We are only talking about why IE is more popular than the 3 and NOT why opera is NOT! :)
if it were as popular i can tell u they wudnt filed the complaint in the first place ... ff has a good market share and hence they arent bothered but opera cant beat ff coz its widely accepted in the OSS market and IE rules in PC; safari rules in Mac World opera is no where in the 3 leading computer platforms now MS being an easy target and targeting MS gets u good PR so well lets sue em

praka123

left this forum longback
OK.bundle IE with window$.now make a shortcut on Desktop for COMPLETE uninstallation of IE,WMP,Outlook ;) .now it is OK 8) .remember complete uninstallation of internet explotion.

sakumar79

Technomancer
@praka, if IE is based on the Windows HTML engine, you can only uninstall the front-end (ie, remove the IExplore.exe application and a few other files), and not the backend... This is because the backend is not just used by IE but also by Help Files, etc... Is it ok if MS allowed you to remove the IE front end?

Arun

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Maroons said:
IE8 will not follow all standards.

How do u know?
Still, it doesn't matter if we think IE8 might do things right. The fact is that Microsoft is doing bad things right now, and they should be forced to stop being anti-competitive. By doing this, we will be absolutely sure that IE8 will be standards compliant, and will not just have to rely on a promise by a commpany which is known to lie.

To stop doing thing, they have to make changes to IE & release a new version. So, all they are saying is to wait for IE 8

OK.bundle IE with window$.now make a shortcut on Desktop for COMPLETE uninstallation of IE,WMP,Outlook :wink: .now it is OK :cool: .remember complete uninstallation of internet explotion.

You can remove the IE frontend in Windows completely. Or you can keep IE & continue to use your other favorite browser.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
If IE8 follows all standards, it will lose market share., as simple as that.

Think, all browsers support all standards, what will people choose(use)!
IE Firefox Opera Safari ......
( .. and think as internet users, not Indian internet users..)

Micro$oft ain't changing anything, maybe under pressure they might iron out a few hard edges, but that is all.

My two cents.

praka123

left this forum longback
standard compliant=acid2test pass? :confused: konqueror,safari passed it.dont know about IE,FF et al.
*www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html#top

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^what is that page supposed to do?I am using firefox here,so what should I see on the page?

ok lemme explain what I see:hello world,and a peculiar face like structure below it which has a black dot(diamond shaped) in the middle which changes color from black to blue when I hover my mouse over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom