Official iOS devices thread

goobimama

 Macboy
Re: iPhone3G owners discussion thread

Everyone knows that the iPhone browsing experience far surpasses anything out there, even that Android stuff. Sure even my Nokia 6030 could render my blog very nicely, but could I surf the web on it? No sir, I could not. Its the experience that matters the most, which is why 90% of engadget mobile traffic was iPhone users.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer

Thats the problem. It just "manages" to do all that. :) Anyways, if you have a good video of web-browsing on S60, please share it. Enough discussions I think.
Obviously you have never browsed on a S60 phone before. Here is one video that I found. It is old and doesn't really show much. But that's all I found on YouTube. :)

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Ba1IWWNmk

Everyone knows that the iPhone browsing experience far surpasses anything out there, even that Android stuff. Sure even my Nokia 6030 could render my blog very nicely, but could I surf the web on it? No sir, I could not.
Please don't compare the S40 browser in the 6030 to the S60 browser. They are nowhere comparable to each other.

You guys have seen just one side of the coin. Neither of you have used a S60 browser. In reality it is basically the same browser as the one in iPhone. They even use the same engine. Obviously the iPhone's touchscreen works to it's advantage. That doesn't mean the S60 browser is any less. It was the first ever browser to actually replicate the browsing experience of a PC browser on a mobile phone, while others were still using their basic made-for-mobile-sites-only browsers. Every feature on a web page works correctly and exactly as it would on a PC, whether it uses Flash, Java script or anything else. In fact the iPhone's finger based navigation makes stuff like the 360º and tag clouds difficult to use (not that it's possible anyway). But the cursor pointer in the S60 browser works really well. There is even a built-in RSS feed reader (which can update automatically).

Pat

Beyond Smart

Obviously you have never browsed on a S60 phone before. Here is one video that I found. It is old and doesn't really show much. But that's all I found on YouTube. :)

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Ba1IWWNmk

OMG! You think that is better(or even on par) with iPhone's web-browsing experience :eek:
If yes, then I have nothing more to say.

And just for your information: I have owned a lot of smartphones ever since I fell in love with mobile computing. I have seen it all from 6600,3230 and even as recent as N73ME. For windows-mobile, I have owned and used O2 Mini, HTC Wizard and seen a lot of other devices. From my personal experience, there is no match for the iPhone atleast as far as web-browsing is concerned.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Someone said Mobile Computing ?

I love apple threads :p

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer

OMG! You think that is better(or even on par) with iPhone's web-browsing experience :eek:
If yes, then I have nothing more to say.

And just for your information: I have owned a lot of smartphones ever since I fell in love with mobile computing. I have seen it all from 6600,3230 and even as recent as N73ME. For windows-mobile, I have owned and used O2 Mini, HTC Wizard and seen a lot of other devices. From my personal experience, there is no match for the iPhone atleast as far as web-browsing is concerned.
I did say the video is old and doesn't show much. And N73 ME is hardly recent. Here's what I call recent:

*i.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/08/09/nokia-5800/gsmarena_001.jpg
:)

Pat

Beyond Smart

Someone said Mobile Computing ?

I love apple threads :p

Ah well! Ofcourse you dont know that you can have ssh,unix subsystem,terminal,python, ruby etc. etc. on an iPhone. Do you ? :)

goobimama

 Macboy

OMG. I used the 6030 as an example. You don't think I've used one of those Opera Mini and the other whathaveyous? Well I have. And moving around with the joystick on a 2" screen, isn't exactly 'browsing' as much as 'emergency internet'.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Ah well! Ofcourse you dont know that you can have ssh,unix subsystem,terminal,python, ruby etc. etc. on an iPhone. Do you ? :)

very much possible, i can use it for my super lazer too :p

But the question is ! Is Steve Job happy with all this :D Or will he mind sending FBI to my home, has he come to know am using it for such things.

Ok for one thing Apple got it from open source and safari got it from open source. Still no one bothers to look into the roots. Yep its indeed an art.

And the most hilarious thing is the fanbase. Not all but many are like blind preachers. Make my day reading their replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart

And the most hilarious thing is the fanbase. Not all but many are like blind preachers. Make my day reading their replies.

These kind of fanboys are everywhere. So why nitpick only iPhone ?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Ok for one thing Apple got it from open source and safari got it from open source. Still no one bothers to look into the roots. Yep its indeed an art.
Oh, please, not again with the open source stealing crap. If it weren’t for Apple, WebKit would either have been dead or rotting somewhere, completely devoid of any attention from anyone, like most other open source technologies. Apple picked up WebKit, saw how much potential it had, put its own engineers to the task, bettered it, and made it the rendering engine for Safari. And they gave back all the improvements they’d made to it back to the community, which resulted in Google Chrome and a lot of mobile browsers.

So cut the crap about Apple taking from OSS. For one thing, the whole principle of OSS revolves around taking from them. For another, Apple did contribute back, and heavily so—and they were under no obligation to do so. In fact, I think it’s pretty weird that they did. It’s not in their nature, and there’s nothing wrong with that either. It really pissed me off that you guys just have to bring OSS into every single discussion.

-------------------------

@krazzy,
Man, I can’t believe you just said that the browsing in that video, no matter how old it is, is even close to the iPhone’s experience. Man, I’ve now seriously begun to doubt your objectivity. Milind described it just right, it’s “emergency Internet”. That’s all it is.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

These kind of fanboys are everywhere. So why nitpick only iPhone ?
Atleast I dont see much in here. I mean I have watched a few thread before saying that. Its just look so I_dont_feel_like_putting_this_word_here .

Even windows users are showing some signs of rehabs.

Oh, please, not again with the open source stealing crap. If it weren’t for Apple, WebKit would either have been dead or rotting somewhere, completely devoid of any attention from anyone, like most other open source technologies. Apple picked up WebKit, saw how much potential it had, put its own engineers to the task, bettered it, and made it the rendering engine for Safari. And they gave back all the improvements they’d made to it back to the community, which resulted in Google Chrome and a lot of mobile browsers.

So cut the crap about Apple taking from OSS. For one thing, the whole principle of OSS revolves around taking from them. For another, Apple did contribute back, and heavily so—and they were under no obligation to do so. In fact, I think it’s pretty weird that they did. It’s not in their nature, and there’s nothing wrong with that either. It really pissed me off that you guys just have to bring OSS into every single discussion.

yes sir, its crap. 100% genuine :p

your OSS edu phails :D Seems like some very wrong notions, if not most.

And your bashing for apple comes in disguise :p

Last edited:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer

@krazzy,
Man, I can’t believe you just said that the browsing in that video, no matter how old it is, is even close to the iPhone’s experience. Man, I’ve now seriously begun to doubt your objectivity. Milind described it just right, it’s “emergency Internet”. That’s all it is.
But.. but.. that's the only video I found. :( The video does kinda suck but there aren't any more of them. :|

Pat

Beyond Smart

But.. but.. that's the only video I found. :( The video does kinda suck but there aren't any more of them. :|

Can you please make a video (from your S60 device) and put it on youtube ? I am really interested to see how it performs as a MID!

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer

OK. But it'll take a while to upload as my net is slooooow.

Erm.. but what exactly do you want me to show in the video any way? (now I know why there are so few videos of web browsers)

Pat

Beyond Smart

OK. But it'll take a while to upload as my net is slooooow.

Erm.. but what exactly do you want me to show in the video any way? (now I know why there are so few videos of web browsers)

Open our forum and try to post a message on it :)

goobimama

 Macboy

Okay I think this little war should be taken elsewhere and it is drifting away from the topic at hand. This is about post-iPhone discussion. Fight club it out boys!

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜

^^^ +1
Okay I think this little war should be taken elsewhere and it is drifting away from the topic at hand. This is about post-iPhone discussion. Fight club it out boys!

Guys isnt there a Iphone SDK for windows? I found only for Mac OS X ! :(
Mac!I dont have it!

mrintech

Technomancer

Fantastic List of Free iPhone Games:

*tech-baby.co.cc/2008/09/21/fantastic-list-of-free-iphone-games

:D

OP
Tanmay Satpathy

Tanmay Satpathy

Sing Along Samsung

Not again man!!!

You people again started nokia-is-better-than-iPhone crap!

Hey Krazy, if you are happy with your s60 browser, go and live with it. I simply doubt that you have ever hold an iPhone ever before!

This thread is meant to discuss only the post purchase factors of iPhone. So if you people want to fight over safari-s60 browser start a thread on it. Should I name it? "the S60 vs Safari arena" or so ething like that?

And for your information guys I am using N95 and iPhone, and I love the iPhone web browsing far better than S60 browser of N95-8gb.

and another thing @ krazy

Don't show pics of gadgets which have never seen the daylight.

That is a concept phone. The recently launched N96 nowhere comes near iPhone browsing experience.

I don't see any point of using flash on mobile devices! Go and browse those sites on your 17+inch monitor using your PC and broadband. Why give the poor EDGE network so much pain loading big flash sites?

Just for information, adobe guys are working on a version of flash-on-iPhone. Hope of will be out sometimes during this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom