Gutsy Gibbon install: help me with the steps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
^nautilus-openterminal should show open terminal option on right clicking inside any directory in Nautilus file manager.I have in my Debian Sid installed=
nautilus-actions nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-gksu nautilus-open-terminal nautilus-image-converter
It should work :-| make sure : /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-1.0/libnautilus-open-terminal.so
^is installed :) nautilus-actions is a interesting stuff,u can install scripts from www.g-scripts.sourceforge.net/
^you can refer reg nautilus-actions : *www.linux.com/feature/119603

praka123

left this forum longback
^it is weird.try deleting when nautilus FM is not opened :
Code:
 rm -r ~/.nautilus
^^^ directory
then restart nautilus and see whether it works!
if that too fails try(when INTERNET IS CONNECTED),
Code:
 sudo su -
in the "#" root prompt,
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install --reinstall nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-sendto
Try! :)

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Greetings.!!

I have lerant quite a lot about ubuntu in these few days.But I am still facing certain issues which I would like resolved.Here they are:
  • I can't play any flash contents on sites like digit homepage and youtube using opera 9.50b.FF plays them fine.How do I get these working for opera.I have flashplugin-nonfree,Gnash SWF viewer,Adobe flash plugin installed.
  • I can't edit permissions for certain files and folders like sources.list,home etc.
    All options are grayed out and it says at the bottom "You are not the owner of this file.So you can't change these permissions."How do I all permissions editable by me.??Or is it supposed to be this way.??
  • Finally,now I am able to play all media on my linux except VCD movies.DVDs work fine,but it's only VCDs that won't play.
Hoping for someone to throw in some help here.!!

Reagards,
shady_inc.

praka123

left this forum longback
for opera,I believe in Debian or ubuntu, u have to copy the libflashplayer.so plugin to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or/and /usr/lib/opera/plugins/
.below link explains this:
*www.opera.com/linux/docs/plugins/install/
wherever permission is denied,those files/dir are owned by administrator called as "root" in UNIX.in terminal you can use "sudo" prefix to get temparory admin privilage.those in nautilus file manager which are grayed out are obviously owned by root.
for launching GUI applications as root,for eg: nautilus FM,try
"gksudo". like:
Code:
gksudo nautilus
^in run dialog box(pressing alt+f2 gives).

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Ok...I managed to get over that flash content problem by removing the Gnash SWF viewer and keeping only the adobe flash plugin for both FF and opera.Working properly now.:) .

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
I just copied the libflashplayer.so file from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to /usr/lib/opera/plugins directory and it worked.!!;)

x3060

A LOTR fan
i got my dvd today :). i will install tomorrow on a test pc . by the way i successfully installed mandriva 08 :). it playing all mp3 :). it does not enable 3d for desktop that pc has fx 5200 but still it says not supported . it detected the card too . and the monitor model i gave every thing is fine except 3d :-(. also it does not allow me to write anything to ntfs partition . i can only copy from it not copy to it :-(.

Rahim

Married!
shady_inc said:
I just copied the libflashplayer.so file from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to /usr/lib/opera/plugins directory and it worked.!!;)
Well in my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder there is a flashplugin-alternative.so but no libflashplayer.so . I installed flashplugins-nonfree from Synaptic. Are both the same?

EDIT: On further search i found the libflashplayer.so in my home/.mozilla/plugins folder. Should i copy it from here to /usr/lib/opera/plugins folder?

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
x3060 said:
i got my dvd today :). i will install tomorrow on a test pc . by the way i successfully installed mandriva 08 :). it playing all mp3 :). it does not enable 3d for desktop that pc has fx 5200 but still it says not supported . it detected the card too . and the monitor model i gave every thing is fine except 3d :-(. also it does not allow me to write anything to ntfs partition . i can only copy from it not copy to it :-(.
I dont know about Mandriva as i am an Ubuntu user. Maybe you have to install ntfs-3g ,it allow you to write on ntfs partitions too. Search in your package manager for it.

infra_red_dude said:
@rahimveron
Yes, copy that .so file there.
Ok fine.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
x3060 said:
for NTFS install ntfs-config
for gfx driver installion use envy script or download driver from manufactures site directly

x3060

A LOTR fan
thanks for help . . but the thing is i downloaded envy but i dont have net at his place :-(. any ways i downloaded driver from nvidia site itself :). will try to install tomorrow :).

Rahim

Married!
shady_inc said:
Finally,now I am able to play all media on my linux except VCD movies.DVDs work fine,but it's only VCDs that won't play
Download VLC as Ubuntu does not support VCD by default. Open through "Open Disc/DVD" option in VLC.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
rahimveron said:
Download VLC as Ubuntu does not support VCD by default. Open through "Open Disc/DVD" option in VLC.

Finally you're coming back to what I posted in the previous page
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=685467&postcount=73

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom