Gutsy Gibbon install: help me with the steps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^nope no need to create /boot partition.Let grub install on MBR and everything will be just fine.

No man you can't use swap partition to store any data,it won't be visible to you!!Just make and forget about it.

And yes you can access ext3 from XP through a small utility(forgot the name).

Now this is more than the help anybody would ever need!
Just follow the step by step guide I wrote above and install,Nothing can go wrong.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
rahimveron said:
He already has 1 GB RAM, he just have to create 256 /512 MB Swap. That would be enough.
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186234
*www.linuxforums.org/forum/misc/11932-swap-size.html

Btw automatic partitioning in ubuntu allots 3 times the RAM.

shady_inc said:
Thanks for the respones!!

Will be doing the partitioning and installing tomorrow.Will get back once I get linux running,or if I encounter any more difficulties in installing.

Just had this small doubt.Can the linux swap partition be used for storing any other data??And will the file system ext3,as mentioned by The_Devil_Himself be accessible from XP.??

Won't it be necessary to create this partition too.??

Regards,
shady_inc
in case something happens to ur main partition the boot information will also be lost, os its better to have separate boot partition.

Mine is like
500MB /boot ext3
13GB / ext3
2GB swap

The_Devil_Himself said:
And yes you can access ext3 from XP through a small utility(forgot the name).
*www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
No need to create /boot partition, it will be created as it will be made in / itself.
Just make two partitions: /& Swap
No linux swap is not used for storing data, you cant. Ya you can access ext3 partition from XP by installing an appz, forgot the name, just google it.

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Ok..so it's all decided.

I will format my C: drive,create a 5 gb ext3 partition for linux [won't be storing any other data here,so it should be enough for just the OS],create a
500 mb swap partition [after having a look at the links T159 posted] and remaining 15 gb will become my current D: drive in NTFS file system.
I won't be getting into creating the boot partition.....for now.

Everything is proper according to me.Any suggestions to make it better.??

Regards,
shady_inc

praka123

left this forum longback
500MB swap is more than enough,dont waste ur hdd space!also partn resizing thingy gparted or any other s/w(win softwares too) can gurantee 100% success :)

x3060

A LOTR fan
i also will be getting my copy in a few days :) . . thanks for the steps here :) . . am not hijacking this thread but a small doubt , my machine is x2 3600 , 2g ram , 250 HDD, 7600 gt . . will 3d desktop work with me ?, how much swap should i put?. . thanks in advance . please , not disturbing . i will post separate thread if i get problems :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
x3060 said:
i also will be getting my copy in a few days :) . . thanks for the steps here :) . . am not hijacking this thread but a small doubt , my machine is x2 3600 , 2g ram , 250 HDD, 7600 gt . . will 3d desktop work with me ?, how much swap should i put?. . thanks in advance . please , not disturbing . i will post separate thread if i get problems :)
yeah definitely, make sure u hav net conn if u r getting cd. For AMD there is another version, downloadthat not i386 one.

U hav enuff space make swap to atleast 1GB, the more the better. Its like virtual memory.

praka123

left this forum longback
the important question is what is ur graphics card?if it is nvidia or onboard graphics except VIA,u can have compiz working.for amd ATi cards,u need to edit and tweak some conf files :(

x3060

A LOTR fan
man , i dont have a net connection :-(.. . my gra is nvidia 7600 gt . .
i mean the digit dvd of Ubuntu . which i will be buying this month :). i can have a reliance usb connection , but i dont think they will provide drivers for linux :-(, so am i hopeless ?:-(:-(:-(

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
x3060 said:
man , i dont have a net connection :-(.. . my gra is nvidia 7600 gt . .
i mean the digit dvd of Ubuntu . which i will be buying this month :). i can have a reliance usb connection , but i dont think they will provide drivers for linux :-(, so am i hopeless ?:-(:-(:-(
then you can go to a cyber cafe or frinds computer & donwload stuff :)

x3060

A LOTR fan
that i can :) . . so i can make it work is it :). play mp3 , dvd and all . . now that was a relief :). why the hell do they requir a net connection :-(. bad peoples :-(:-(. but good o.s :)

praka123

left this forum longback
u can use aptoncd and install nvidia drivers.ur gfx card will perform uber cool with compiz-fusion! :) once u install the drivers.BTW,user @cadcrazy had uploaded few such apps.check in this section.

x3060

A LOTR fan
oh , and i can download it from my comp itself :). through xp . .

i will download apt on cd tomorrow :)

Last edited:
OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Greetings!!

I successfully managed to take out 5905 mb of free space from my C: drive for linux.This space is unallocated.I fired up the ubuntu installer once again from the live CD once again and was greeted with the following screen:
*img86.imageshack.us/img86/2134/screenshotsh1.th.png
I guess the best would be:
  • Type for new partition: No idea what to select here..:(
  • New partition size in megabytes: 5405 [since I will have to allocate remaining 500 mb unallocated space to swap partition.
  • Location for the new partition: No idea what to select here too..:(
  • Use as: ext3
  • Mount point: /
Please tell if anything here is out of place.
Also would I need to format this space [the option can be seen in background window] too.??

I am off to my college for now.Will be back by 7:00 pm,and will continue with installation then.Hoping to see some help here in that meantime.

Regards,
shady_inc.

Rahim

Married!
^^ Not trying to be sarcastic but its "/" a front slash.
@Shady: Select / in the Mount Point drop box.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
rahimveron said:
^^ Not trying to be sarcastic but its "/" a front slash.
@Shady: Select / in the Mount Point drop box.
sorry windows habbit C:\ :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom