Gutsy Gibbon install: help me with the steps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
ubotu said:
Automatix is not recommended, supported or needed. See *mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html

Common Sense: Just because you can, does not mean you should (and especially recommend to others). Think before you do. "Works for me" does not mean it is ok. The latest version of everything is not always useful if you aim for stability. Please see *geekosophical.net/random/worksforme/
MUST READ for all those thinking about automatix

Rahim

Married!
My system is multimedia enabled through medubuntu repo, so i dont think i will use Automatix. Installing these propreitory stuff is not that geeky/hard as it is made to sound.
Thanks Gary for backing me on This.

Last edited:
OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Wow....this repository synaptic pacakage manager looks like a interesting thing to check out.So many softwares with descriptions etc. given there.

When I tried downloading the ubuntu-restricted-extras from the synaptic,I got the following error:
*img236.imageshack.us/img236/5927/screenshotqk6.th.png
This is the same error I got when trying to get codecs for mp3 from the Totem music player..[the default one].Why does it ask me to insert ubuntu CD at such odd moments.??:confused: .

I tried downloading VLC too..,through add/remove programs.but got the same error.!!

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^why oh Why? open ur cd/dvd drive and insert ubuntu cd/dvd;press enter.
if u dont want asking cd/dvd insert prompt,edit /etc/apt/sources.list and remove the first two lines which contains CD/DVD rom added to apt.
u can edit as press alt+f2 to get run dialog.run "gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list" without commas.then remove the lines referring to CD(first lines),save,exit and in a terminal when internet is ON,run
"sudo apt-get update" without quotes.

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
The dvd was always inside the drive.!!!Haven't removed it since I put it in the first time I got the error.!!Should have mentioned this in the previous post.Anyway,I edited the sources.list file with the gudo gedit command and it worked.!!Thanks.!!:p

Also I am spoilt for choice here when it comes to selecting a music player.Which among Amarok and Banshee is the better one.??

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^amarok is kde based,though kde applications do run in gnome but it is not advisable.I too liked amarok(liked it more than anything) but exaile is as goos as amarok if not better.

Rahim

Married!
Its all about personal choice. Choose what you are comfortable with. Amarok runs fine in Gnome.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
shady_inc said:
Also I am spoilt for choice here when it comes to selecting a music player.Which among Amarok and Banshee is the better one.??
exaile is neater and startup time is much less.

Amarok takes some time to startup in gnome.

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Greetings.!!

I am using Beep music player for now.!!

I just went through a few links explaining basic ubuntu commands and...WOW!!command line is fun.:D .I also had a look at
this excellent tutorial on file permissions on linux and did mess around quite a bit with them.Is ther any way to incorporate the terminal in file/folder context menu,clicking on which will open the terminal with that path open.??Using cd command each time is a pain.!

Also..I am still not able to play any video CD/DVDs on linux..I installed that ubuntu-restricted-extras [from the command line.:D ] and gstream plugins and tried playing in VLC player,but videos just won't play.:( .Any sloutions??

Regards,
shady_inc

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Method1: Open Synaptic and install VLC player.

Method 2: If you're feeling geeky open a terminal and install like this
sudo apt-get install vlc

Alternatively read this article, its nice
*linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2007/11/creating-your-ultimate-ubuntu-710.html

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
shady_inc said:
Greetings.!!
Is ther any way to incorporate the terminal in file/folder context menu,clicking on which will open the terminal with that path open.??Using cd command each time is a pain.!
get nautilus scripts,Install in your ~/Nautilus/scripts directory..
*g-scripts.sourceforge.net/
*g-scripts.sourceforge.net/nautilus-scripts/Execute/Open%20terminal/Open%20Terminal%20Here

This feature was available in previous versions but got discarded as average user dont prefer command line.

x3060

A LOTR fan
i want exile ?? (music player ) and a good dvd player to play mp3 and dvd , where can i download them ? as i dont have internet , i want both of them to play offline with out asking me to go online . . please help

praka123

left this forum longback
^check cadcrazy's thread offline ubuntu* in this section.u have to use AptOnCd.
download needed deps of exaile,mplayer,xine-ui,gstreamer-plugins from a cafe using livecd.

offtopic:
BTW,I know ur siggy!;) Mohanlal vs Srinivasan :D

x3060

A LOTR fan
@praka123...thanks mashe, njan oru kai nokkaaaaaam...:)

yup , Mazha paiyunnu maddhalam kottunnu..;)

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
Strictly offtopic :

@x3060

Ans : Kilometres and kilometres and kilometres

Now remove your siggy as you got the answer :D

Status
Not open for further replies.