Gutsy Gibbon install: help me with the steps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Greetings!!

This is my first post from Gutsy Gibbon.Using the LiveCD version given in this month's digit DVD.Now I tried to install linux,but have no idea what I should select on this screen:
*img215.imageshack.us/img215/5395/screenshotuz3.th.png
I have a 40 gb HDD with two 20 gb partitions and have 8 gb (C:\) and 4.5 gb (D:\) free in each respectively.Windows installed in D: drive.So I guess linux will need to be installed in C: drive.

Now,I don't wanna lose any data on either drive and neither render my Windows XP unusable because of some wrong options I selected during installation.So,please guide me in absolutely basic language since this is my first tryst with linux.

Thanks,
shady_inc

shadyEdit: By the way,is it safe to use net while booting linux from CD??

Rahim

Married!
You should choose " manual" option. I am a liitle tentative about giving help on partition issues as your Windows resides in D: drive, so i will let others give you the required help.
And yes it is safe to browse through the Live CD. Remember you are using Linux, so no virus,spyware,malware,etc to worry about.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
shady_inc said:
Greetings!!

This is my first post from Gutsy Gibbon.Using the LiveCD version given in this month's digit DVD.Now I tried to install linux,but have no idea what I should select on this screen:

I have a 40 gb HDD with two 20 gb partitions and have 8 gb (C:\) and 4.5 gb (D:\) free in each respectively.Windows installed in D: drive.So I guess linux will need to be installed in C: drive.

Now,I don't wanna lose any data on either drive and neither render my Windows XP unusable because of some wrong options I selected during installation.So,please guide me in absolutely basic language since this is my first tryst with linux.

Thanks,
shady_inc

shadyEdit: By the way,is it safe to use net while booting linux from CD??

First thing is that you haf a bit messy system!!! Since you are new to Linux the ideal way is to install Windows in the first partition (so called C: Drive) and free up some space and create an empty partition next to it. That would mean you install Windows in C Drive and then create 3 more partitions. The second "drive" houses the contents of your "D Drive". The third is the Linux root paritition (of at least 5GB) and the last "drive" is the Linux swap partition (of about 400mb or so).

When you are done with this then hit back. We'll help you further. Coz giving too much info can be confusing and dangerous! So its better if step by step instructions are provided :)

Also, its SAFEST to log on to the net via LiveCD. ITS SAFER THAN USING THE NET ON WINDOWS!!!! :)

amitava82

MMO Addict
Ok, first thing you have to do is go back to windows and install some kinda partition resizing software such as Partition Magic. With this software take out about 6 GB free space from any of your partitions. Once you are done come back.. :)

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Partition magic ain't a freeware...:( .Read about Gparted while googling just now.Will Gparted be able to do the job??

infra_red_dude said:
That would mean you install Windows in C Drive and then create 3 more partitions. The second "drive" houses the contents of your "D Drive". The third is the Linux root paritition (of at least 5GB) and the last "drive" is the Linux swap partition (of about 400mb or so).
So I guess I will take 5 gb from C; drive for linux primary partition.Another 1 gb from either drive for swap partition.[I heard it must equal the amount of RAM you have?? :? ].

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I'd suggest NOT to rely solely on partitioning software. They can mess up with your data!!! Neither free nor paid!

Backup your data and then free up about 5-6GB of space.

amitava82

MMO Addict
I dunno.. Couple of months back I used Gparted to resize my linux partition and It screwed up my linux installation. Though I did not loose any data from windows partition.. Hopefully it should work..

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Ok..will hit back tomorrow when I am done with the partitioning thing.Thanks for your super quick responses.Now I atleast have an idea of what I should be my first step towards installing linux.!!

Have already made the required backups on 3 DVDs.So no worries there!!

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
@shady:if I were you I would have backupped(lol) all the data from C: drive and formatted it,Then would've made a home partition(mount point /,and file system ext3) of about 5gb+swap partition of about .5-1gb(filesystem-swap)[these steps to be done while installing gutsy).Then after installing Ubuntu,you can reclaim your free hard disk space(i.e. 20-6gb=14gb left after installing ubuntu) by making another partition in windows.

Mind you Gutsy supports native read and write support in NTFS so you can enjoy all your data in gutsy too.Hope it heps.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
unless u can make a partition of abt 4gb for linux home
500mb for swap
things are not that simple.

post ur sys spec.

Note: backup ur data before playin around

NucleusKore

TheSaint
[SIZE=+5]FIRST BACK UP YOUR DATA[/SIZE]
I suggest you get Gparted from *gparted.sourceforge.net and repartition your hard disk to have a swap partition (size=2xRAM) and a ext3 partition for root filesystem (/). You will have to resize your C partition from the end (not the beginning), AND WILL HAVE TO HAVE 10 gb free space on your C partiiton before you start resizing. Gparted has a nice GUI for doing that.
Resize your C to 14 GB. Now to set up the free space you've just reclaimed :) If you have 256 MB RAM, you can set 512 MB as swap and remaining space as ext3. This will accommodate your root filesystem (which will contain your home folder, maybe not a very good idea but you have a space constraint).

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
The_Devil_Himself said:
@shady:if I were you I would have backupped(lol) all the data from C: drive and formatted it,Then would've made a home partition(mount point /,and file system ext3) of about 5gb+swap partition of about .5-1gb(filesystem-swap)[these steps to be done while installing gutsy).Then after installing Ubuntu,you can reclaim your free hard disk space(i.e. 20-6gb=14gb left after installing ubuntu) by making another partition in windows.
Mind you Gutsy supports native read and write support in NTFS so you can enjoy all your data in gutsy too.Hope it heps.
Actually this sounds better but more time-consuming than using a third party utility like Partition magic or Gparted.Since the backup has already been made,which would be better: Devil's method or using Partition Magic,Gparted etc. [haven't used any of it before.so unless it's point and click,I wouldn't prefer using them] to make space for linux.?? :confused:

T159 said:
post ur sys spec.

Celeron 2.4 Ghz
40 gb HDD
1 Gb DDR RAM
64 Mb onboard intel 845g graphics.

shadyEdit: NucleosKore beat me to posting.!!Seeing his reply,I guess I will just use Gparted to do the job.By the way,you have mentioned filesystem (/)..What's the significance of the "/" here...or is it just a misspelt smiley:D...??

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
dude just use my method cos it is the best IMO.lol.Seriously shrinking and expanding partitions doesn't always work and besides you have backed up all your data so formatting will help you get rid of all the junk.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
shady_inc said:
Actually this sounds better but more time-consuming than using a third party utility like Partition magic or Gparted.Since the backup has already been made,which would be better: Devil's method or using Partition Magic,Gparted etc. [haven't used any of it before.so unless it's point and click,I wouldn't prefer using them] to make space for linux.?? :confused:

Celeron 2.4 Ghz
40 gb HDD
1 Gb DDR RAM
64 Mb onboard intel 845g graphics.

shadyEdit: NucleosKore beat me to posting.!!Seeing his reply,I guess I will just use Gparted to do the job.By the way,you have mentioned filesystem (/)..What's the significance of the "/" here...or is it just a misspelt smiley:D...??
ok u may consider setting ur swap partition to 1.5 times of the total RAM.
i.e. 1500MB

The_Devil_Himself said:
dude just use my method cos it is the best IMO.lol.Seriously shrinking and expanding partitions doesn't always work and besides you have backed up all your data so formatting will help you get rid of all the junk.
yeah if everything is backed up then simple format is the straight decision:)

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
and did you juat say 'more time consuming'?lol man it is as easy as it gets----boot up using livecd,format your c: partition(you said you have backed up data),make another partition of about 5gb--mount it as /+use file system ext3,make yet another aprtition of about .5-1gb using swap filesystem(no mounting point for this),then just install gutsy.Reclaim your letf out space by making another ntfs partition either in gutsy or in windows.

here's is a more refined guide I wrote for someone else.

me said:
1.Boot up using ubuntu livecd/dvd

2.double click install icon

3.answer some basic questions like keyboard layout,time zone,etc.

4.Gutsy can import your wallpaper and documents from windows installation that you have(i found this pretty cool) though firefox doesn't import settings and bookmarks iirc.

5.Ubuntu needs two partitions for a normal install one home(/) partition and one swap partition.delete your c: partition and make a new partition out of it by formatting it with 'ext3' filesystem and specifying mount point as '/'.Make another partition and select 'swap' from filesystem dropdown menu.no mounting point needed for it.

6.Thats it just hold back and enjoy while ubuntu installs and reboot onto your harddisk when told to reboot.

7.grub will recognize all your current installations and make your system dual boot accordingly(windows+ubuntu).

if you face some problems then feel free to ask.

NOTE:
Swap partition:it is necessary to specify a separate swap partition while installing ubuntu gutsy gibbon.It is just like pagefile in windows,i.e. it is used to store data temporarily from memory.It should be twice the size of your RAM for lesser than 512MB system RAM,and equal to your system RAM after that.
ok enough help provided kid now go and install gutsy and welcome abroad.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
shady_inc said:

/ is ur main partition(type ext3), where all data will reside.
swap is pagefile partition
another partition is
/boot which generally contains bootloader(type ext3) etc.

Rahim

Married!
T159 said:
ok u may consider setting ur swap partition to 1.5 times of the total RAM.
i.e. 1500MB
He already has 1 GB RAM, he just have to create 256 /512 MB Swap. That would be enough.

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Thanks for the respones!!

Will be doing the partitioning and installing tomorrow.Will get back once I get linux running,or if I encounter any more difficulties in installing.

Just had this small doubt.Can the linux swap partition be used for storing any other data??And will the file system ext3,as mentioned by The_Devil_Himself be accessible from XP.??

T159 said:
another partition is
/boot which generally contains bootloader(type ext3) etc.
Won't it be necessary to create this partition too.??

Regards,
shady_inc

Status
Not open for further replies.