DSLR Dilemma......

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Start with your user manual... And then read blogs, articles about basics of photography like this one

Later you will teach me how to use a DSLR when I am buying one ;)

Dr. House

No Regrets
Start with your user manual... And then read blogs, articles about basics of photography like this one

Later you will teach me how to use a DSLR when I am buying one ;)

lol thanks! What camera you're using right now?

^^ You sound like anyone who is pretty new to DSLR or even the world of digital camera.

Yes, I am totally new in DSLR photography world. I know about macro lenses but don't know 18-55 would not able to take too close shots.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
even if u take video ..I am sure the battery will drain off very quickly ..and taking more video will damage your sensor coz sensor heats up while taking video.

I am not sure about this one. I asked a canon service centre guy about how my camera sensor will be affected with long exposure shots. Basically I told hime clearly that I have Magic lantern and intend to shoot 200-300 shots each typically of 30s exposure or so. He said that there was absolutely no problem to the sensor with it. This was not one of those receptionist guys, this was the guy that cleaned my CMOS, and I think he might have a valid point.

if you guys are thinking about buying a Tammy 70-300m Di LD, beware.. its painfully slow in focussing.

and i mean Payne-fully slow. Get it??

also, its not sharp, and has a bit of blue fringing.

but overall, its a great lens with a bang for buck at its price point and just gets the work done.

I have taken some good shots with it, so in the end, its on the photographer. ;)

Very true. I was once tempted to get this one, but then settled with the 50mm 1.8 prime - I didnt have any needs in mind.

It is Nikon 18-55 AF-S lens on D5100 that I bought for 23,870 only. I mean if I keep the object really near or want to take pictures in the dark, the camera doesnt take shots by pressing shutter button. :?

Use manual focus. Or pick the focus spot to lie on the object that you want to focus on. Typically the camera decides on optimal focus over a set of focus points spread over the field ov view. When the object you want to focus doesnt cover the majority of these, there can eb issues with focussing, especially in low light ot low contrast situations.

I am not sure whats the minimum focus distance is on your Nikon, but my Canon 18-55 is an absolute gem - a;sp has a minimum focus distance of 25 cm from the sensor which translates to a few inches from the front of the lens. That being the case I'll very surprised if yours isnt able to do something similar. Again the key is to use manual focus.

DSLR photography is much more than just pressing the shutter button and expecting it to give you amazing pics :p

Read the manual, read the internet. You are just getting started. Nothing to worry :)

Edit: Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX NIKKOR review: Digital Photography Review
minimum focus distance of 28 cm similar to the Canon.

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
No fanboyism this,but I read somewhere in DP that Canon focus is always better over a Nikon. Its snappier and fast.

I have a Uncle, who us freelancer based in Paris ,worked for National Geographic too and with the likes of ED Kashi,who told that all the Canon/Nikon hoopla is hogwash both are as good as you can make them to be. He is using a 5D MK3 and a 1DX at the moment. It us only now after using the DSLR Im realising how true his statement is. If you dont know the trick to do it right you are better off with PS.It something you have to nurture and there will be growth.Im loving it!

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
No fanboyism this,but I read somewhere in DP that Canon focus is always better over a Nikon. Its snappier and fast.

I have a Uncle, who us freelancer based in Paris ,worked for National Geographic too and with the likes of ED Kashi,who told that all the Canon/Nikon hoopla is hogwash both are as good as you can make them to be. He is using a 5D MK3 and a 1DX at the moment. It us only now after using the DSLR Im realising how true his statement is. If you dont know the trick to do it right you are better off with PS.It something you have to nurture and there will be growth.Im loving it!

I didnt quite understant the second paragraph :)

Personally, I can only vouch for the 600D vs D5100 comparisons - and yes, I did notice the Canon being more accurate. I think I started blabbering to this account all over the place when somebody wanted a suggestion. Sujoy would know :D

@The Incinerator you should tell me earlier now I have to deal with Nikon :razz:

Keep in mind that this is not a day and night comparison. We are talking about the smallest of things now. Use manual focus :)

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
@ Doc , its basically nitpicking as for the focus thing and as I said in the second paragraph a thorough Pro using top of the line equipment travelling across the globe told me ,it is the photographer who makes the camera take bad or good photos to put it simply.Its a tool and you have to know how to use it. The more you click the more you learn.Its nothing like Canon is better or Nikon is better,when i asked this very comparison question,he told with a smile "just shoot man!" He will be in India next Diwali and we have planned a roadtrip across Orissa just to shoot!I hopw Pranav now you understood the second paragraph.:)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@ Doc , its basically nitpicking as for the focus thing and as I said in the second paragraph a thorough Pro using top of the line equipment travelling across the globe told me ,it is the photographer who makes the camera take bad or good photos to put it simply.Its a tool and you have to know how to use it. The more you click the more you learn.Its nothing like Canon is better or Nikon is better,when i asked this very comparison question,he told with a smile "just shoot man!" He will be in India next Diwali and we have planned a roadtrip across Orissa just to shoot!I hopw Pranav now you understood the second paragraph.:)

Yep. Agree fully. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
@dr .... forget about what canon is and how it performs ....concentrate on various methods of photography...how to use ISO, Aperture, shutterspeed...what are different type of focus types, whats metering, how they effect pictures ...what are the qualities in D5100 and how to use it :)

you have to study a lot about photography...youtube is ur best teacher :)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
@The Incinerator you should tell me earlier now I have to deal with Nikon :razz:

i have said before and im repeating: incase you want to take mindblowing photos with your slr, make the camera manual your bible over the next few days. read each and every line and memorise everything. specially the manual operation of the camera part. and incase you need some help with the bible, make google your friend.

;)

Dr. House

No Regrets
i have said before and im repeating: incase you want to take mindblowing photos with your slr, make the camera manual your bible over the next few days. read each and every line and memorise everything. specially the manual operation of the camera part. and incase you need some help with the bible, make google your friend.

;)

I was kidding there. Yea! I will follow your advice for sure. I read manual, google and watch educational photography videos on youtube as you guys said. Thanks and Happy and prosperous Diwali to all. :)

ashusood331

Broken In
So Lowepro Pro Runner 200AW ....then

Got the Sony SF-32UX Class 10 (32GB - 94MB/s) for Rs 1952 with coupons from Ebay. The best price online :-D ! Now have to get the bag and some accesories,like Filters etc!

For Camera accessories like camera filters system, I would suggest to hit on photovatika, Snapdeal or ebay where you can get the good quality filters at best price and you can also check on with the other camera accessories that you need to pair along with your Sony SF-32UX camera model.

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Didnt have to buy the bag as Canon bundled a good enough bag with the Camera as a festive offer. Im looking for filters and a good one is costing Rs 2K and above from the likes of Marumi and Hoya.Im yet to decide which type should I buy.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Didnt have to buy the bag as Canon bundled a good enough bag with the Camera as a festive offer. Im looking for filters and a good one is costing Rs 2K and above from the likes of Marumi and Hoya.Im yet to decide which type should I buy.

I have been busy lately, but this caught my attention. Why do you want a filter ? Of which type ?

Top Bottom