DSLR Dilemma......

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Something that will block excessive light or UV on a sunny morning and protect the Lens too. Is it a bad idea? Or the Lens hood is sufficient?

sujoyp

Grand Master
if u r not sure which type to buy then u dont need one :D ...

CPL for bluer sky and remove reflection
ND to slow the shutter speed keeping bigger aperture or those flowing water shots
GND nice for landscape
ultra violet...to keep ur front element safe

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Something that will block excessive light or UV on a sunny morning and protect the Lens too. Is it a bad idea? Or the Lens hood is sufficient?

If its not an ND filter with a decent stopping down power or not a circular polariser - both for the artistic freedom they provide, there is no other filter I'd recommend. I hope I am not forgetting anything.

The only other reason to buy a filter would be to protect the front element of the lens from scratches.

Of course, buy any orientation sensitive polariser for use with your current lenses with care - they have a rotating front element (I am sure of the 18-55, but I guess the 55-250 also does the same.)

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Who makes good filters ? Marumi and Hoya...are they good? I didnt like OMAX UV,it spoiled what a NEX5 could do without it....

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have hoya CPL ...its nice

y do you want UV filter...we are not living in era of 1960-2000 ...now days lenses have a coating which protect from UV rays ...UV is just a piece of glass to protect lens front element
you can protect it by using lens cap and hood

get ND, GND or CPL ...it have special uses

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I have hoya CPL ...its nice

y do you want UV filter...we are not living in era of 1960-2000 ...now days lenses have a coating which protect from UV rays ...UV is just a piece of glass to protect lens front element
you can protect it by using lens cap and hood

get ND, GND or CPL ...it have special uses

I second this opinion.

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Thanks a ton guys....I wonder where I/We would have been without your help.

I will get the CPL first . And I have taken some ALMOST amazing:razz: firework shots with the EOS600D and 18-55mm.Will put up for scrutiny:)

*img513.imageshack.us/img513/1571/jqft.jpg

[URL=*imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/3ucj.jpg/]*img801.imageshack.us/img801/7496/3ucj.jpg

[URL=*imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/u7yb.jpg/]*img194.imageshack.us/img194/6272/u7yb.jpg

[URL=*imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/04ib.jpg/]*img812.imageshack.us/img812/6752/04ib.jpg

[URL=*imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/pmyl.jpg/]*img10.imageshack.us/img10/9217/pmyl.jpg

Last edited:
OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Thanks ...Sir....:razz:

Its your very formula that led to this. It was otherwise impossible to get the Shell Shots High in the sky.....

digik

Journeyman
Dear all,
I have purchased Canon 1100D with two lens system 18-55 and 55-250.

I am at a loss how to use it. Kindly guide me.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@Inci : Nice shots :)

Regarding the first few ones that are noisy, use some editing to clean them up. I prefer to stack two layers of the same image and then blend them via multiply. Works wonders for firework shots, I kid you not.

Also get a flickr account. Far easier for everyone, including yourself. Keep shootin everyone. I'll post a couple of okayish Diwali photos in our other thread. Got some time after a long time :> :)

Dear all,
I have purchased Canon 1100D with two lens system 18-55 and 55-250.

I am at a loss how to use it. Kindly guide me.

Use the manuals at first to get an idea of how to use the camera - it doesnt matter really if your pictures look rubbish. Because without knowing how to use the camera ou can almost never get a good shot - unless you use the auto mode.

The bad thing is you sound rather clueless for someone who bought a DSLR, the good thing is that DSLRs dont cost a penny to shoot as many pics as you like to learn.

Start with the 18-55 lens exclusively. Promise yourself that you wont touch the 55-250 until you have a decent knowledge of how to use the camera.

Read this site:
*camerasim.com/

and use their simulator and see how changing things affects an image. We cant really help you if you dont ask for something a little less generic than "I am at a loss how to use it" :>

digik

Journeyman
@pranav0091 Thanks for your advice.

The bad thing is you sound rather clueless for someone who bought a DSLR, the good thing is that DSLRs dont cost a penny to shoot as many pics as you like to learn.

I am totally new to SLRs. Earlier, I used point and shoot cameras, both Analog and Digital. I have bought the DSLR as point and shoots don't gives the result one has in mind and also to learn some photography. And yes, it doesnot cost a penny to learn with DSLRs.

We cant really help you if you dont ask for something a little less generic than "I am at a loss how to use it" :>

You are right. I would try to be specific in my future posts.

Thanks again.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@pranav0091 Thanks for your advice.

I am totally new to SLRs. Earlier, I used point and shoot cameras, both Analog and Digital. I have bought the DSLR as point and shoots don't gives the result one has in mind and also to learn some photography. And yes, it doesnot cost a penny to learn with DSLRs.

You are right. I would try to be specific in my future posts.

Thanks again.

Well, if you have used cameras before then its not much of a struggle I believe. My first camera was my DSLR and I guess I am doing okay. Although I did use to read a lot about the techniques and setting related to photography much earlier :)

Atart with the APerture/Shutter priority modes so that you are free to tinker with one setting and the camera will take care of the rest.

Also note that Full manual settings are a CHOICE. Even now I prefer to shoot in the Program or one of the two modes I mentioned above. I can only speak for myself, but I'd guess it applies to a lot of other people as well. Manual mode is for times when you have time to experiemtn, when you are shooting a very planned shot.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@digik congrats for the purchase...follow the suggestions of pranav ...and learn ...what ever you want to do just make a google search and read how to do it, what equipments are needed...we can help you out here

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Exactly digik... I started as a Ultra Novice, and with help of Sujoy Pranav Nac ,now my most preferred mode is Manual ,honestly.But yes thats best for planned shots,otherwise creative auto or P is as good....

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes right...dont try to be too creative at birthday parties or family outdoors...you may end up with bad shots...I gave my dslr to my uncle at my birthday party and forgot to put it on auto (I was on Aperture mode) ...DSLR ruined all my pics ...all pics were black dark :(

OP
The Incinerator

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Yeah right, Im feeling the same about the lens too, a all in one like 18-200 or 18-135 is very handy to tackle most situations like the auto modes. Will sell the 55- 250 and try and get the rumored 18-300STM if at all and budget permits.

BTW wheres DOC? Waiting for the pictures eagerly.As eagerly as the Birding snap of Sujoy with his ALMIGHTY Sigma.:)

sujoyp

Grand Master
my birding shots are not too great till now...just 1 outing..but will post some very soon :)

BTW nikon 18-300 VR cost almost 50k ...NIkon 18-200VR cost 38-42k ....canon price will not be different ...if u want all in one lens then best option is Tamron 18-270 PZD VC costing around 27-32k

Top Bottom