Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

Broken In
More the resolution, the smaller will be the text size. If you are sitting just before the lappy then it is ok. If you use external keyboard/mouse, then you will be far away from display and you will find it difficult to read text/browse web.

This is what I learnt over the last 3 days of research.

Dude!! Resolution is just no. of pixels within an area... How can it make texts smaller?? It is just like gaming in varied resolutions... If you increase resolution 3d objects (in case of games) become sharper.. Texts becoming smaller makes no sense... :p

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Dude!! Resolution is just no. of pixels within an area... How can it make texts smaller?? It is just like gaming in varied resolutions... If you increase resolution 3d objects (in case of games) become sharper.. Texts becoming smaller makes no sense... :p

It does makes text smaller mate but can be handled by increasing DPI.

ratul

█████████████████
But only 3dmark2011 benchmark does not show us that 7730>640m. We should see 3dmark05-06 vantage test pcmark7 test etc. Also we should look average fps value in same game This is better compare that to say 640 or 7730 is better ? In some game 640m may better than 7730 some game not ?

3DMark 06 is not that much necessary now, coz most of the games released today only supports DX10 and DX11, 3DMark 06 is a DX9 benchmarking tool.. :wink:
PCMark 7 is a windows 7 benchmarking tool, i have windows 8 now, guess we need to wait for PCMark 8 now.. :p
And it's true that these benchmarks don't give us the proper insight about the performance of the card, real benchmarks are the fps you get in the games, that's why i mentioned earlier that there's no solid proof for either card being better, we need a 640m user to benchmark it accordingly, but for the time being, we need to rely on 3DMark11 results only, coz only that's what's available now (and with me :p)..

dheemanth10

Broken In
More the resolution, the smaller will be the text size. If you are sitting just before the lappy then it is ok. If you use external keyboard/mouse, then you will be far away from display and you will find it difficult to read text/browse web.

This is what I learnt over the last 3 days of research.

txt's dont become that small or anything its perfectly normal ....if its tooo small u can increase font size or zoom in ...i dont find any prob whats so ever ....the FHD screen is really worth it

sam142000

Journeyman
Guys Dell is offering to replace my Gpu because I told them about a silly problem that almost everyone would have.
But it would be a refurbished part.
Should I go for it? What say??

nandu26

In the zone
I haven't ordered directly from dell. Hence, I have another doubt. Will they ship the laptop as such in brown box or apply bubble wrap packaging like FlipKart?

admn_head

Broken In
Hi! Guys received my 15r turbo today morning..

its gr8... :D

guyz there is only single os partition on lappy so finally should i do it thru disk management or easeus...

if thru disk management .. steps are like whatever amount of space i need.. that has to be inserted in shrink volume n once unallocated partition is available.. format it..!!

when i shrink n format, it creates logical drive or primary drive..? does that make any difference to me as i won't prefer having more than 4 partitions ..

does easesu handle this more properly??

and i have planned like this..
OS - 40 GB [As I don't plan install any gamez on this drive.. will do it on other partition.. this partition will mainly have os [restore-it backup done if any virus attacks], basic email attachments and other downloaded file may get saved to this or other volume n other necessary softs on this parition... so i guess 40gb is enough or even may be less ..what say??
2nd parition - 300 GB [media]
3rd Parition - 300 GB [gamez]
4th parition - 255 GB [installation setups - gamez, softs etc..]

also thr is a post here with same situation : link
in this it has been said no to play with lappy hdd.. :p .. other than above 4 partition option .. i think at-least one partition is must like 40gb for os purpose and other 855gb partition for all common data - media, gamez, backcup ... etc

need ur views .. plz do reply..

and windows 8 x64 915440 iso download in progress.. have u guys noticed system getting faster after clean install as at present i feel system run bit slow due to this pre-installed things... and my product key is the one displayed in properties under product id - above: windows activated text ?? .. whn i click view activation details.. it shows product key like ***-****-***XXXX .. only last XXXX part has text n its different from product id .. this is different thing na? bcoz like old lappies there is no sticker of key on my lappy and even they have stick windows 8 sticker on rear side of laptop not where graphic card and core i7 stickers are there... idiots!! so all it need is that product id once i again install windows 8 ... all other drivers are to be downloaded from dell website as cd might have old drivers?

hope to get reply soon as once all is setup, then i can really enjoy my gadget... :D !!

Last edited:

nandu26

In the zone

guyz there is only single os partition on lappy so finally should i do it thru disk management or easeus...

if thru disk management .. steps are like whatever amount of space i need.. that has to be inserted in shrink volume n once unallocated partition is available.. format it..!!

OS - 40 GB [As I don't plan install any gamez on this drive.. will do it on other partition.. this partition will mainly have os [restore-it backup done if any virus attacks], basic email attachments and other downloaded file may get saved to this or other volume n other necessary softs on this parition... so i guess 40gb is enough or even may be less ..what say??

and windows 8 x64 915440 iso download in progress.. have u guys noticed system getting faster after clean install as at present i feel system run bit slow due to this pre-installed things... and my product key is the one displayed in properties under product id - above: windows activated text ?? .. whn i click view activation details.. it shows product key like ***-****-***XXXX .. only last XXXX part has text n its different from product id .. this is different thing na? bcoz like old lappies there is no sticker of key on my lappy and even they have stick windows 8 sticker on rear side of laptop not where graphic card and core i7 stickers are there... idiots!! so all it need is that product id once i again install windows 8 ... all other drivers are to be downloaded from dell website as cd might have old drivers?

hope to get reply soon as once all is setup, then i can really enjoy my gadget... :D !!

Did Dell shipped the laptop as such in brown box or apply bubble wrap packaging like FlipKart?

Did you opted for FHD or normal truelife?

What about heat after 2 hours of usage?

admn_head

Broken In
Did Dell shipped the laptop as such in brown box or apply bubble wrap packaging like FlipKart?

Did you opted for FHD or normal truelife?

What about heat after 2 hours of usage?

was shipped in brown color. carry cartoon... packed with hard thermocol support on top n bottom.. lappy was in plastic bag and inside lappy there was butter-paper like sheet between screen n lappy.. nice packing.. laptop bag also in brown hard box.. brown box is hard cardboard type box.. and no need to worry.. there are very less chances of it getting damaged in transit as dell uses blue-dart to deliver laptops and every week they deliverer several laptops in many cities so even blue-dart takes care to handle them properly.. just check seal whn u receive.. delivery guy didn't allow me to get open check delivery.. but as seal was there i gave green signal n wrote in remark.. "received in seal pack condition.. shipment yet to be opened for any transits damages as open delivery is not being given.." he was like if u don't sign then I'll take it back....

screen- normal true-file..

i didn't check heat usage as was busy with other works while using lappy so it just stayed there idle on bed.. it was in A/c room n there was small amount of warmness below lappy after 1.5-2 hrs continuous running...

ratul

█████████████████

when i shrink n format, it creates logical drive or primary drive..? does that make any difference to me as i won't prefer having more than 4 partitions ..

also thr is a post here with same situation : link
in this it has been said no to play with lappy hdd.. :p .. other than above 4 partition option .. i think at-least one partition is must like 40gb for os purpose and other 855gb partition for all common data - media, gamez, backcup ... etc

congrats bro, finally your wait is over.. :doublethumb:..
for partitioning, i would either recommend easeus or a much better solution, clean install of windows, formatting and creating partitions while installing windows.. :p
and dude, 40GB is too low, atleast give it a 100GB for C:, after installing just win8 and drivers, my C: was already 30GB full, and now after installing all softs (no games and other stuff, just softs), it's eating ~60GB, so give it atleast 100GB, as you also need 10GB of min. free space everytime in C: for windows to function smoothly..
And logical and primary drives:
Primary: Cannot exceed four, if you want to dual boot or install multiple OS's on different drives, then to install an OS on a drive, it has to be a primary partition..
Logical: Can be as many (extended) as you want..
After installing windows8, you would definitely notice more fluidity and responsiveness from your system, don't worry about that..
Product key and product id are two different things, so don't worry about that, you'll need product key (not id) while installing windows and you are'nt having product key on lappy?? :shock: Have you checked inside the battery compartment???
And that's a very good thing that you got the GPU logo with corei7 logo, old users like me were'nt that lucky to get a Radeon sticker.. :(
I think you would have got the windows 8 driver disc, in that case there is no use of downloading drivers from Dell website as for now, as Dell has'nt launched any updates for any of the Win8 drivers since their launch, but it's better to download and keep them as backup.. :p

admn_head

Broken In
congrats bro, finally your wait is over.. :doublethumb:..
for partitioning, i would either recommend easeus or a much better solution, clean install of windows, formatting and creating partitions while installing windows.. :p
and dude, 40GB is too low, atleast give it a 100GB for C:, after installing just win8 and drivers, my C: was already 30GB full, and now after installing all softs (no games and other stuff, just softs), it's eating ~60GB, so give it atleast 100GB, as you also need 10GB of min. free space everytime in C: for windows to function smoothly..
And logical and primary drives:
Primary: Cannot exceed four, if you want to dual boot or install multiple OS's on different drives, then to install an OS on a drive, it has to be a primary partition..
Logical: Can be as many (extended) as you want..
After installing windows8, you would definitely notice more fluidity and responsiveness from your system, don't worry about that..
Product key and product id are two different things, so don't worry about that, you'll need product key (not id) while installing windows and you are'nt having product key on lappy?? :shock: Have you checked inside the battery compartment???
And that's a very good thing that you got the GPU logo with corei7 logo, old users like me were'nt that lucky to get a Radeon sticker.. :(
I think you would have got the windows 8 driver disc, in that case there is no use of downloading drivers from Dell website as for now, as Dell has'nt launched any updates for any of the Win8 drivers since their launch, but it's better to download and keep them as backup.. :p

bro how to open battery compartment.. n what is that 2 lock type symbol keys on rear side.. i just slided them now they aren't going back.. whats that ? it that any kind of lock.. plz reply

ratul

█████████████████
bro how to open battery compartment.. n what is that 2 lock type symbol keys on rear side.. i just slided them now they aren't going back.. whats that ? it that any kind of lock.. plz reply

yes, slide those two locks in opposite direction, a click sound will be heard, then pull the battery upwards from the rear to expose the battery compartment..

admn_head

Broken In
yes, slide those two locks in opposite direction, a click sound will be heard, then pull the battery upwards from the rear to expose the battery compartment..

is it too hard to open .. as the lock are gone in opposite direction n they are not getting back to their positions.. i'm try to slip the compartment cover up but it looks like fitted hard or its still not unlocked properly..? i don't wanna damage cover on first day itself.. and are there any chances of product key in battery compartment ?

w8 i'll post pic of the thing.... 2012-11-29 17.32-edited1.jpg

n how to get this lock back to normal in reverse position?

Last edited:

nandu26

In the zone
is it too hard to open .. as the lock are gone in opposite direction n they are not getting back to their positions.. i'm try to slip the compartment cover up but it looks like fitted hard or its still not unlocked properly..? i don't wanna damage cover on first day itself.. and are there any chances of product key in battery compartment ?

w8 i'll post pic of the thing....[/QUOTE

You will not find product key under battery compartment. I think Dell doesn't provide any such keys or recovery DVD. You better purchase a retail copy of Windows 8 and it will have product key.

ratul

█████████████████

w8 i'll post pic of the thing....[/QUOTE

You will not find product key under battery compartment. I think Dell doesn't provide any such keys or recovery DVD. You better purchase a retail copy of Windows 8 and it will have product key.

let him check m8, as i have my product key under the battery compartment only.. :p

View attachment 7800

w8 i'll post pic of the thing....View attachment 7800

n how to get this lock back to normal in reverse position?

yes it's correct, but don't slide that way, you have to lift it up (not slide) from the rear side, you should see a slit in the rear side to make it lift up (the side where the arrow head in your pic goes)...

ratul

█████████████████
thanks man u r savior i was just sliding it like anything.. but now a big :shock: .. there is no windows key in battery compartment... :shock: :shock:

what to do... :( .. kms with upgrade still works..? i guess no.. as i applied for media center upgrade key but haven't received it... :(

will dell provide my windows 8 key to me ?

well, i think dell don't provide win8 keys with lappies, check this thread..
KMS method will work, i am using it and can verify that.. :p
try for the key again and try to enter as many email id's as you can, atleast one will get the key, i entered 7 of my email id's and two of them never got any keys.. :)

admn_head

Broken In
well, i think dell don't provide win8 keys with lappies, check this thread..
KMS method will work, i am using it and can verify that.. :p
try for the key again and try to enter as many email id's as you can, atleast one will get the key, i entered 7 of my email id's and two of them never got any keys.. :)

also if i use kms n upgrade method.. n at later stage if it doesn't activate then will i be able to restore from dell restore on hdd via bios? or i'll be no where man.. no windows 8 oem or even kms one.. just fkd up ... :( ... all this has sadden me m thinking just to partition hdd with easeus n use lappy as it is... :(

also how much time it would take if i use easeus to shrink 855 gb c drive to say 150gb n unallocated parition that is created say 705 GB .. n than format it.. will be too long time? thr was user saying he had to wait 6 hours to complete process like dis on 1tb hdd but i guess he had some huge data n he way trying to merge a partition with 30gb on right side of partition n 1gb on left side of partition into one partition..

btw, don't mind i copied ur signature as we share same lappy n almost same earphones n hdd. so edited things n changed signature... hope its ok.. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom