Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

nox007

Right off the assembly line
AMD Radeon has same optimus technology, 3D vision, 3DTV play, FXAA and all.
Even apple iMac, macbook pro comes with radeon technology. Dell said 7730M is better than 640M, so 15R is better than 14R.
You can not use 3D version, unless you have 3DTV or monitor and a pair of glasses, which costs very expensive.
There is nothing specific for college use, its all upto you what you ask your friends. 15.6" is little more bulky but bigger screen and 14" is for compact to use but small to see.

These are not gaming laptops, these are high end entertainment laptops with medium graphics.
It was always affordable last years hp dv6 6121tx was having almost same performance and costs 53k only.

Im sorry sir but dell never said that 7730M is better than 640M ok!, i recently chatted with dell expert and he replied me that the nvidia one will be a better option for gaming as its having more technologies and heats up a comp less and all takes less electricity and can using the optimus technology even boost itself when the cooling system is doing great and the pc is pretty cool. Also according to netbookcheck.net, 640M is a rank ahead of 7730M, take a look at this Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - Notebookcheck.net Tech and next time dont lie on the forum that dell said amd is better.

ratul

█████████████████
I don't see the recovery drive in my computer there is disk space allocated to it in the disk management, but i can't see it...

also should i use the disk management itself to make partitions or use easeus(which does frighten me a bit as while downloading i read people saying that it screwed their hard disk)...what do i do??

for partitioning, format it dude...
i don't know what's wrong, but i had used easeus numerous times and never screwed up, and then there are two guys, one our fellow member Jripper, another my friend whom i was telling the procedure to use easeus on phone, for both of them, easeus screwed up, and for my friend on phone, his computer never booted again to windows after that, Jripper was able to do that.. :p
So better to format it to partition..

nandu26

In the zone
Well i did not feel any heat after 2 hrs, but i haven't actually used the lappy for anything major....

@admn_head: I sent a authorization letter/order confirmation/declaration letter(the heading on the document)...this was to let them bill me for the laptop....

Guys, anybody for my problem about the partition....

Can you try Paragon Software for partitioning? Express version is free.

ratul

█████████████████
Im sorry sir but dell never said that 7730M is better than 640M ok!, i recently chatted with dell expert and he replied me that the nvidia one will be a better option for gaming as its having more technologies and heats up a comp less and all takes less electricity and can using the optimus technology even boost itself when the cooling system is doing great and the pc is pretty cool. Also according to netbookcheck.net, 640M is a rank ahead of 7730M, take a look at this Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - Notebookcheck.net Tech and next time dont lie on the forum that dell said amd is better.

calm down bro, and nobody's lying here..
rider, me and some other members are following this laptop from the time it was launched, that time i too personally contacted DELL numerous times, that time everybody in DELL was like "Yeah 7730m is much better!!!"..
Chatting with those "experts" and believing them is like blabbering in front of a robot, you ask them anything, they'll only tell you the things that's programmed in them.. :p those guys don't have any knowledge about benchmarking, core clocks etc., they just tell you what's told to them by their colleagues, seniors or the program from which they read and troubleshoot your problems, so don't believe them..
Notebookcheck's benchmarks are too old now, and @ that time drivers were just new, now we don't have any solid proof of 7730m being better or 640m..
I am posting my current 3DMark11 scores on beta6 drivers as P2297 (link), much greater than notebookcheck's P1648, so we need a 640m user's benchmark to prove it's better..
Found a current score of 6/Nov/2012 of 640m with i7, and it's P1848 (link) (graphics score a meager 1673 in comparison of 2045 of 7730m), so currently 7730m>>>>640m, unless anyone can post a score surpassing 7730m.
*i.imgur.com/jABDX.jpg

Last edited:

chinmay.

Right off the assembly line
Sorry to jump in middle of your conversation.
But I being a noob :-? need some help.I have a dell inspiron 15r se(7520) with switchable graphics.
My pc is not detecting the dedicated graphics card in windows experience index(as i get for intel hd graphics 4000 ie 5.5)but not 6.6 for hd7730m.:shock:
also dxdiag shows intel hd graphics 4000.also online websites like System Requirements Lab detects intel graphics.:shock:
Moreover I tried gta 4 which runs crappy even on high performance and the benchmark test shows intel graphics.:shock:
I have updates bios to A07 and amd catalyst 12.11_beta8 as well as updated the ati 7730m drivers.
I am actually fed up of this problem.:evil:
Please guide me.

guru_da_preet

Journeyman
I'm sorry for such a question, but i am not that aware about this stuff(noob)..

I would like a step by step instructions to update amd catalytic driver to 12.11 beta8 (including removing the older version)...

again i'm sorry to put anybody out....help is very much appreciated

dheemanth10

Broken In
calm down bro, and nobody's lying here..
rider, me and some other members are following this laptop from the time it was launched, that time i too personally contacted DELL numerous times, that time everybody in DELL was like "Yeah 7730m is much better!!!"..
Chatting with those "experts" and believing them is like blabbering in front of a robot, you ask them anything, they'll only tell you the things that's programmed in them.. :p those guys don't have any knowledge about benchmarking, core clocks etc., they just tell you what's told to them by their colleagues, seniors or the program from which they read and troubleshoot your problems, so don't believe them..
Notebookcheck's benchmarks are too old now, and @ that time drivers were just new, now we don't have any solid proof of 7730m being better or 640m..
I am posting my current 3DMark11 scores on beta6 drivers as P2297 (link), much greater than notebookcheck's P1648, so we need a 640m user's benchmark to prove it's better..
Found a current score of 6/Nov/2012 of 640m with i7, and it's P1848 (link) (graphics score a meager 1673 in comparison of 2045 of 7730m), so currently 7730m>>>>640m, unless anyone can post a score surpassing 7730m.
*i.imgur.com/jABDX.jpg

it shows 7750m there ...7750m is a superior graphics card than 7730m ..but then again i dont know any DELL laptop with 7750m :p ....i'm confused here

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
My pc is not detecting the dedicated graphics card in windows experience index(as i get for intel hd graphics 4000 ie 5.5)but not 6.6 for hd7730m.:shock:

this is why WEI is not used for benchmark. It shows random scores and can't detect a lot of other stuff.

Moreover I tried gta 4 which runs crappy even on high performance and the benchmark test shows intel graphics.:shock:

if GTA4 fully updated? GTA4 is known to be buggy and getting it to work on laptops with switchable graphics is not easy. Try adding GTA4 to highpower from AMD CCC and try again.

ratul

█████████████████
Sorry to jump in middle of your conversation.
But I being a noob :-? need some help.I have a dell inspiron 15r se(7520) with switchable graphics.
also dxdiag shows intel hd graphics 4000.also online websites like System Requirements Lab detects intel graphics.:shock:
I have updates bios to A07 and amd catalyst 12.11_beta8 as well as updated the ati 7730m drivers.
I am actually fed up of this problem.:evil:
Please guide me.

1. Windows Experience Rating: never follow it, totally inaccurate piece of $....
2. dxdiag: only shows the native GPU, 7730m is a switchable GPU, means it's only kicked in when needed, so not detected by it..
3. SRS: same reason as above.
4. GTA 4: forget it, even skyrim shows HD4000, these games don't detect it...

best way for you, run a game that you are sure cannot be handled by HD4000 (Skyrim, BF3, MP3, Dirt3, Most wanted 2012???), if it gives acceptable fps, then it's using 7730m, or download and run 3DMark11 and post the scores...

I'm sorry for such a question, but i am not that aware about this stuff(noob)..

I would like a step by step instructions to update amd catalytic driver to 12.11 beta8 (including removing the older version)...

again i'm sorry to put anybody out....help is very much appreciated

Remove all the components of Catalyst Control Center through the setup and add/remove programs..
Run Driver Sweeper and clean for AMD GPU..
Run ccleaner to clean out the registry..
then install the new version..

it shows 7750m there ...7750m is a superior graphics card than 7730m ..but then again i dont know any DELL laptop with 7750m :p ....i'm confused here

from day 1 our precious 7730m is detected as 7750m in 3DMark 11...
I think the reason being is that 7730m is a laptop only card, 7750m and 7770m both come in GDDR5 versions as well as have the popular desktop counterparts..
As 7730m is not that widely popular as other two, and it's just an underclocked DDR3 version of 7750m, so it's been detected as 7750m only..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

both are same GPU but with different clockspeed. Maybe 3DMark failed to figure that out as 77XX was launched after 3DMark11 is out.

ratul

█████████████████
both are same GPU but with different clockspeed. Maybe 3DMark failed to figure that out as 77XX was launched after 3DMark11 is out.

yup.. :agreed:
btw chinmay, what results you are getting in GTA 4 Benchmarks, see my results and compare.. (pics in spoiler)
if you are getting close to this fps, then it's 7730m..
*i.imgur.com/mB4mw.jpg*i.imgur.com/5F1h9.jpg*i.imgur.com/nnlFx.jpg

nandu26

In the zone
15.6" FHD Anti-glare (1920x1080) For ICC

>> I want to know whether the above display is LED or LCD. Dell site doesn't mention anything about this.

androiderrr

Broken In
Guys Just wanted to share something with you.I purchased dell inpiron 15R SE on 20th.My laptop came with normal 1368*768 glossy display.Intially it was very uncomfortable to read something in day light or even under tubelight/bulb.
I applied Anti glare screen protector which costed me just Rs 275...and u know Iam really amazed by performance of this protector.It has improved text readibility by 70%.Now I enjoy reading on my laptop even under day night and its very comfortable on eye.
I recomend everyone to to apply anti glare protector.

dheemanth10

Broken In
15.6" FHD Anti-glare (1920x1080) For ICC

>> I want to know whether the above display is LED or LCD. Dell site doesn't mention anything about this.

thats the full hd one i think its LED ...thats what it says in my screen properties ...i have FHD one

Guys Just wanted to share something with you.I purchased dell inpiron 15R SE on 20th.My laptop came with normal 1368*768 glossy display.Intially it was very uncomfortable to read something in day light or even under tubelight/bulb.
I applied Anti glare screen protector which costed me just Rs 275...and u know Iam really amazed by performance of this protector.It has improved text readibility by 70%.Now I enjoy reading on my laptop even under day night and its very comfortable on eye.

or get the laptop with FHD screen it comes with anti glare protector .. and its a much btr screen

nandu26

In the zone
thats the full hd one i think its LED ...thats what it says in my screen properties ...i have FHD one

@dheemanth10:

Do you feel any eye strain after working for one hour with FHD display? Because higher the resolution, font size will be small and will be difficult to read.

Is it possible to change brightness and contrast in FHD screen? I hope you will know this since you are currently using the display.

Last edited:

admn_head

Broken In
manually removing bloatwares will make os clean or should i make clean install of windows 8.. if yes.. which iso should i download to fresh install windows 8 on my upcoming 15r turbo.. it comes wid windows 8 licensed os.. so a key info available on lappy is enough or any thing like license backup thru a software is to be done to make fresh installed windows 8 a legit copy (if yes, please elaborate) .. n wht about windows media center ... does that come with the per-installed windows 8 version or its extra charge for that.. there is some trick mentioned here to make windows media center active - Activating Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with media center for free with legitimate key!!

windows 8 repository - The Official Windows 8 Repository
do i need to get this version:
Windows 8 RTM English, 64-bit (x64)
Size: 3.33 GB SHA-1: 1CE53AD5F60419CF04A715CF3233F247E48BEEC4
Download: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso

n what is difference in this iso: en_windows_8_pro_vl_x64_dvd_917699, as i have this one downloaded with me..

as mentioned by ratul in above comment & also people in various forums have reported problems with there hdd after going for partitioning so is it advisable to partition or its ok to just run on 2 partitions which dell provides... if partition is good for performance which one is best software or way to make partition.. (details please as i don't wanna screw up new lappy.. :p )

josin

In the zone
please provide the link, i am also interested to buy the same

guru_da_preet

Journeyman
I want to restrict the charge level of the battery, i used the the dell extended battery life option but it still charged to 100%...
any help???

dheemanth10

Broken In

@dheemanth10:

Do you feel any eye strain after working for one hour with FHD display? Because higher the resolution, font size will be small and will be difficult to read.

Is it possible to change brightness and contrast in FHD screen? I hope you will know this since you are currently using the display.

nope no strain ntn ...txt and everything is really clear ...u can adjust brightness ... contrast not sure

ratul

█████████████████
manually removing bloatwares will make os clean or should i make clean install of windows 8.. if yes.. which iso should i download to fresh install windows 8 on my upcoming 15r turbo.. it comes wid windows 8 licensed os.. so a key info available on lappy is enough or any thing like license backup thru a software is to be done to make fresh installed windows 8 a legit copy (if yes, please elaborate) .. n wht about windows media center ... does that come with the per-installed windows 8 version or its extra charge for that.. there is some trick mentioned here to make windows media center active - Activating Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with media center for free with legitimate key!!

windows 8 repository - The Official Windows 8 Repository
do i need to get this version:
Windows 8 RTM English, 64-bit (x64)
Size: 3.33 GB SHA-1: 1CE53AD5F60419CF04A715CF3233F247E48BEEC4
Download: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso

n what is difference in this iso: en_windows_8_pro_vl_x64_dvd_917699, as i have this one downloaded with me..

as mentioned by ratul in above comment & also people in various forums have reported problems with there hdd after going for partitioning so is it advisable to partition or its ok to just run on 2 partitions which dell provides... if partition is good for performance which one is best software or way to make partition.. (details please as i don't wanna screw up new lappy.. :p )

Clean install is always preferred over manually removing bloatwares.. :p

en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso : Contains both windows 8 and windows 8 pro..
en_windows_8_pro_vl_x64_dvd_917699.iso : Contains the pro version only (i think so), and is not upgradable to media center pack, as it's the volume licensing edition..

download the en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso one, as the other one (with "vl") can't be upgraded to Media Center Pack.. (i myself installed windows 8 with en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso and applied for media center pack, got the key in 5 hrs. that time.. :p)
And it's no trick, microsoft is giving away free media center upgrades to all windows 8 pro owners legally till January next year..
You won't be needing anything other than the key shipped with your lappy, install windows 8, activate with the key and windows will be activated (though you won't be able to upgrade to Media Center Pack as it's only for Win8Pro, and Dell ships simple windows 8 key unless you ordered the pro version, or you could try the ahem.. method to get pro version.. :wink:)..

Top Bottom