Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

kumaresh

Right off the assembly line
Guys,

I have been following this thread from the start & you people are doing a great work here :razz:

Finally with the suggestions & review from this thread, I chose to buy Dell 15R Turbo.

I'm now facing a problem in which Dell Online purchase has Corporate discount of 3%. But they are claiming that they don't have EMI Option now.

I visited Dell Exclusive Store where they said there will be an EMI Option but no corporate discounts.

I prefer buying it via online coz mostly the Dell Exclusive store people will also place an order via online same as what we do.

Can any of the buyers who got the lappy via Dell Online store share your thoughts/suggestions regarding this?

admn_head

Broken In
@ratul, check this windows 8 product key and tell what u understand from it..
Windows 8 moves to BIOS-based product keys | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
Bios embedded Windows 8 product keys
*answers.microsoft.com/en-us/window...duct-key/d4c5c0c1-825d-47f2-9bed-d9625c7e68ff

does this mean that I can use retail iso n it will pull key from bios by itself or it will pull product key from bios by itself only when its restored via recovery dvd or restore partition... bcoz above link 3rd link-2nd page person tried to install windows server but couldn't install it due to this key issue or may be only windows 8 can be installed on his machine.. that's why he got problem ?

can anyone with pre-installed windows 8 take risk to try by installing windows 8 retail iso n see what happens .. :p

Pulkit1

I received a brand new Dell Inspiron 15R Special edition (7520) yesterday. Sadly, I am facing some problems :

1. COD Black Ops - 2 does not run/start at all and BattleField-3 runs with glitches.
2. When screen display becomes off after laptop is idle for sometime, it does not turn back on when I move my mouse/trackpad or press any keys.
3. Laptop automatically went to sleep while power on - even before showing welcome screen.

Maybe the games can be incompatible with Windows-8. But, for the display, is it a driver issue?
I didn't try installing drivers because laptop came pre-installed with them.

ratul

█████████████████
@ratul, check this windows 8 product key and tell what u understand from it..
Windows 8 moves to BIOS-based product keys | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
Bios embedded Windows 8 product keys
Windows 8 product key - Microsoft Community

does this mean that I can use retail iso n it will pull key from bios by itself or it will pull product key from bios by itself only when its restored via recovery dvd or restore partition... bcoz above link 3rd link-2nd page person tried to install windows server but couldn't install it due to this key issue or may be only windows 8 can be installed on his machine.. that's why he got problem ?

can anyone with pre-installed windows 8 take risk to try by installing windows 8 retail iso n see what happens .. :p

well after reading these three articles, i understand that it'll work just like it works on VMWare while installing OS, key is asked before installation, so during installation, key is never asked and automatically inserted by the VMWare client..
Same thing here, BIOS will do, it'll activate the Win8 (not pro) version if you install from the iso you downloaded without even asking you...
And for the person you are talking about, that's what i said before, Windows 8 works in UEFI mode, that means it's just Windows8 machine, no other OS can be installed to boot from this machine, not even linux.. :(
Your best bet can be format the pc, burn the iso you downloaded into usb and format using it, install (hopefully it should fetch the key from bios and automatically get activated), backup the c: and system partition using some backup softwares, then use KMS server and Win8MediaCenter promotion offer to upgrade to win8mediacenter pack, if anything goes wrong, restore the image you backed up..

I received a brand new Dell Inspiron 15R Special edition (7520) yesterday. Sadly, I am facing some problems :

1. COD Black Ops - 2 does not run/start at all and BattleField-3 runs with glitches.
2. When screen display becomes off after laptop is idle for sometime, it does not turn back on when I move my mouse/trackpad or press any keys.
3. Laptop automatically went to sleep while power on - even before showing welcome screen.

Maybe the games can be incompatible with Windows-8. But, for the display, is it a driver issue?
I didn't try installing drivers because laptop came pre-installed with them.

update the drivers, completely remove current drivers, then install first the intel drivers and then the AMD one..
download the latest intel and AMD drivers from respective sites..
Intel: *downloadmirror.intel.com/22082/a08/win64_15288.zip
AMD: *www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD_Catalyst_12.11_Beta8_NET4.exe

1. Driver problem, update them as given.
2. Might be the sleep time, increase the sleep time from power options..
3. Again try the soution above..

dayslleepper

Broken In
Atlast I buyed DELL 15R SE, after a lot of confusion & fights in my mind with DELL & SAMSUNG....

But right now i didnt recieved my lap over my hands... It will take abt 2 week as it is with my parents and i am away from home and going to home with in 2 weeks. And Sorry guys as i am noob i am going to start asking questions right now... :p

The thing is i had asked the manufacture date of the lap via phone and the shop keeper said it is July 2012, and Processor is 3612QM, and not full HD, Windows 7, all other spec is same as new ...Yup i know it is little bit old stock.. but @Ratul Whether i am gonna face any probz with this machine, as it is the same spec as of urs 3612QM & now the new ones are having 3632QM.. Any heating or any hardware probz on this july batch....

Actually i have to ask this before buying but the probz is i got the phone call from my brother in law from the shop and asked which lap u want.... Thats y i took a fast decision :p...

ratul

█████████████████
Atlast I buyed DELL 15R SE, after a lot of confusion & fights in my mind with DELL & SAMSUNG....

But right now i didnt recieved my lap over my hands... It will take abt 2 week as it is with my parents and i am away from home and going to home with in 2 weeks. And Sorry guys as i am noob i am going to start asking questions right now... :p

The thing is i had asked the manufacture date of the lap via phone and the shop keeper said it is July 2012, and Processor is 3612QM, and not full HD, Windows 7, all other spec is same as new ...Yup i know it is little bit old stock.. but @Ratul Whether i am gonna face any probz with this machine, as it is the same spec as of urs 3612QM & now the new ones are having 3632QM.. Any heating or any hardware probz on this july batch....

Actually i have to ask this before buying but the probz is i got the phone call from my brother in law from the shop and asked which lap u want.... Thats y i took a fast decision :p...

congrats bro... :doublethumb:.
and there's no problem in the july batch, the new 3632qm is just having 100mhz more, nothing else..
and btw, old stocks are better, atleast you can install any other OS of your choice without any hassle.. :p

kumaresh

Any thoughts/suggestions from Dell 15R Turbo owners regarding this? :-?

Guys,

I have been following this thread from the start & you people are doing a great work here :razz:

Finally with the suggestions & review from this thread, I chose to buy Dell 15R Turbo.

I'm now facing a problem in which Dell Online purchase has Corporate discount of 3%. But they are claiming that they don't have EMI Option now.

I visited Dell Exclusive Store where they said there will be an EMI Option but no corporate discounts.

I prefer buying it via online coz mostly the Dell Exclusive store people will also place an order via online same as what we do.

Can any of the buyers who got the lappy via Dell Online store share your thoughts/suggestions regarding this?

admn_head

Broken In
well after reading these three articles, i understand that it'll work just like it works on VMWare while installing OS, key is asked before installation, so during installation, key is never asked and automatically inserted by the VMWare client..
Same thing here, BIOS will do, it'll activate the Win8 (not pro) version if you install from the iso you downloaded without even asking you...
And for the person you are talking about, that's what i said before, Windows 8 works in UEFI mode, that means it's just Windows8 machine, no other OS can be installed to boot from this machine, not even linux.. :(
Your best bet can be format the pc, burn the iso you downloaded into usb and format using it, install (hopefully it should fetch the key from bios and automatically get activated), backup the c: and system partition using some backup softwares, then use KMS server and Win8MediaCenter promotion offer to upgrade to win8mediacenter pack, if anything goes wrong, restore the image you backed up..

I will stick to factory os till someone confirms above thing, that bios fetchs key automatically.

Regarding backup.. windows restore provides backup solution.. so is it as good as any other 3rd party softs... by system drive u mean dat existing hidden partition? System Image - Create in Windows 8

regarding recovery disk.. dell rep. said u can use dell recovery n backup soft to create rescue dvd..

my one doubt is will my newly created partition other than c drive (os drive, at present this is only visible partition) will get deleted if i restore image or use dell recovery disk/usb option.. ?? also should i create system image of c drive after creating partition or before as like if i create image without partition n than whn i try to restore .. it might delete other data partition as image was created without that partition.. ?

wht i want is my additional partition that i create for media n gamez should not get deleted if i use restore or recovery option. so which option to use..?

for fresh install of windows 8.. its said that it requires a formated hdd without any partiton...that means even my other 3 hidden partitions and any partition that i will create for data storage will get deleted if i wanna make fresh install in future... this is not the case like if i wanna install windows 7 when i hav other partitions remain untouced..
Clean Install - Windows 8 (as per dis formatted hdd id req. to get system reserve partition else if tried to install in only a partition by formatting it than system res. partition wont b created... wht is dis system res. partition exactly.. neverd had such thing wid windows 7 .. )

How to re-install Windows 8 from OEM version

btw, eightforums.com has some nice tutorials..

Last edited:

ratul

█████████████████
I will stick to factory os till someone confirms above thing, that bios fetchs key automatically.

Regarding backup.. windows restore provides backup solution.. so is it as good as any other 3rd party softs... by system drive u mean dat existing hidden partition? System Image - Create in Windows 8

regarding recovery disk.. dell rep. said u can use dell recovery n backup soft to create rescue dvd..

my one doubt is will my newly created partition other than c drive (os drive, at present this is only visible partition) will get deleted if i restore image or use dell recovery disk/usb option.. ?? also should i create system image of c drive after creating partition or before as like if i create image without partition n than whn i try to restore .. it might delete other data partition as image was created without that partition.. ?

wht i want is my additional partition that i create for media n gamez should not get deleted if i use restore or recovery option. so which option to use..?

for fresh install of windows 8.. its said that it requires a formated hdd without any partiton...that means even my other 3 hidden partitions and any partition that i will create for data storage will get deleted if i wanna make fresh install in future... this is not the case like if i wanna install windows 7 when i hav other partitions remain untouced..
Clean Install - Windows 8 (as per dis formatted hdd id req. to get system reserve partition else if tried to install in only a partition by formatting it than system res. partition wont b created... wht is dis system res. partition exactly.. neverd had such thing wid windows 7 .. )

How to re-install Windows 8 from OEM version

btw, eightforums.com has some nice tutorials..

no, windows restore is just a basic recovery solution, more advanced options are available in the 3rd party backup softwares (easeus todo backup, acronis true image), which can backup and restore your entire disk (i.e. clone your partitions), just like the old norton ghost would do... :p
And hidden windows partition is the system partition (might be 100mb or 350mb acc. to installation), it usually stores the activation information and some booting info...
well, i am not sure about the deletion of other partition after recovery disc usage, as i never used one, hate those :p, better someone who have used it comment on it..
i too installed windows 8, and did'nt touched any of my other partitions, so you don't need a HDD without partitions, just delete the previous system partition and C:, create the partition from that unallocated space, and then install on that partition only..
And your best option would be to first create recovery discs using the dell recovery, use the free Easeus todo backup home (download), make two system backups, one in the current state (the factory installed windows 8 and system partition you have currently), and the other after the windows 8 pro installation if it succeeds, and don't forget to store them on your external HDD, if easeus image is'nt able to restore the system, you can then use the recovery discs you burned, so have as many backup options as you can have before trying to install windows 8..
Geez that's such a long work in the new win8 laptops, i was ready with win8 on my system in under 20mins.. :p

Any thoughts/suggestions from Dell 15R Turbo owners regarding this? :-?

i have'nt bought this laptop online, bought it from dell store, and yes it's right that they don't provide any discounts.. :(

Last edited:

dayslleepper

Broken In
congrats bro... :doublethumb:.
and there's no problem in the july batch, the new 3632qm is just having 100mhz more, nothing else..
and btw, old stocks are better, atleast you can install any other OS of your choice without any hassle.. :p

Thanks for the response Ratul... tht means whether i can use Win7 & Win 8 in different drives... ?

And What should i have to do in case of battery, i mean first charging... ? Whether i have to wait till battery to discharge full.. and charge again..? or start with charging from first time ?

ratul

█████████████████
Thanks for the response Ratul... tht means whether i can use Win7 & Win 8 in different drives... ?

And What should i have to do in case of battery, i mean first charging... ? Whether i have to wait till battery to discharge full.. and charge again..? or start with charging from first time ?

Yes you can install both simultaneously on diff. drives.. :twisted:
And for the battery, as soon as you power on the lappy, put it on charger, and after fully charged, use it on battery till ~15% battery remains, and then charge it fully..
And don't game on battery.. :p

chirag_2

Guys

can someone please help me choose between below two Dell inspiron 15R turbos?

1) i7 3632qm, 4 gig ram, 7730 2GB, HD 1366x768 - rs 57490
2) i5 3210m , 8 gig ram, 7730 2GB, FHD 1080p - rs 55490

There is a FHD available for i7 config costs 63k but im reluctant to spend extra 7-8k or go above 60k.

Also , I will be playing BF3 online. Any idea about the performance of BF3 on these systems?

sam142000

Journeyman
Guys

can someone please help me choose between below two Dell inspiron 15R turbos?

1) i7 3632qm, 4 gig ram, 7730 2GB, HD 1366x768 - rs 57490
2) i5 3210m , 8 gig ram, 7730 2GB, FHD 1080p - rs 55490

There is a FHD available for i7 config costs 63k but im reluctant to spend extra 7-8k or go above 60k.

Also , I will be playing BF3 online. Any idea about the performance of BF3 on these systems?

I say you go with the i7 version. Ram can be easily added later.
Most high end games cannot be played on full hd resolution on this graphic card!

chirag_2

I say you go with the i7 version. Ram can be easily added later.
Most high end games cannot be played on full hd resolution on this graphic card!

Thanks Sam!

I dont really mind getting FHD and playing games at lower resolution.

is FHD better than HD, in terms of overall experience in using laptop?

Difference between i7 and i5 i mentioned above, is it that significant? Because apart from gaming i only intend to use laptop for normal activities. Will the speed of i7 boost gaming performance?

sam142000

Journeyman
Thanks Sam!

I dont really mind getting FHD and playing games at lower resolution.

is FHD better than HD, in terms of overall experience in using laptop?

Difference between i7 and i5 i mentioned above, is it that significant? Because apart from gaming i only intend to use laptop for normal activities. Will the speed of i7 boost gaming performance?

FHD is always better than HD. But, in this case as the FHD screen is anti-glare therefore I personally dont like it. In anti-glare screens you lose a good amount of contrast.
No, i7 doesnt make a significant difference in gaming over i5 with the exception of a few games. But I personally bought the i7 version just for the sake of future proofing.

nandu26

In the zone
What about the heat on the keyboard, bottom of turbo after 3 hours of usage? I want to know this becuase I will use the lappy in non AC room.

Top Bottom