CPU/Chipset News

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Am actually talking about Athlon Neo,

1.6GHz single core with a 15W TDP
512k L2 cache, 64k L1 data and instruction caches
AMD 690T northbridge and SB600 southbridge based on the UMC 65nm process - platform total TDP is 27W (for Athlon Neo)

yes. it uses more TDP than that in netbooks but could be lot more useful for those who want little bit more. Check HP dv2z, first notebook utilizing this processor.

I am going to get Phenom II X2 when the price goes to 4k :). Have to sell 7750BE anyway :)

I_no

__________ ___ __
Later AMD plans to use 32nm Bulldozer Cores (mainstream/performance - upto 100W TDP rumored) and 32nm Bobcat Cores (low end value, 1-10W TDP) by 2011.

Even that may get delayed due to funding issues and recession.

I doubt AMD can compete with Clarkdale and Arrandale (clarkdale's mobile equivalent).

If AMD can continue with the present momentum, then I don't think fusion will get delayed further. AMD, with its 3 months before schedule launch of Istanbul and pre-scheduling of magny-cours is really looking in good aggresive shape today.

And I think that clarkdale's integrated GPU is not really a threat to AMD as propus X3/X4 coupled with AMD's strong integrated GPU (on northbridge like 4200HD etc.) should be able to keep clarkdale in check. Granted, AMD's margin will be lesser than that of Intel, but we will have competition. And who knows, by the time clarkdale comes out at 32nm, AMD would have also shrunk K10 to 32nm and 28nm GPU's should be in production while clarkdale's IGP will still be on 45nm, so maybe AMD would have an edge there with maybe 5200HD IGP!!
Remember, Intel graphics suck today and AMD, today, have a very strong platform and Intel in this department will play catchup with AMD with clarkdale's IGP.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
5200HD??? dreaming kyaa? :)

Anyways, what you said is true. Intel till now was not able to design a proper IGP for nothr bridge, i do doubt the capability of on-die IGP. Also, they will be charging a lot for those processors. In the age when you get a graphics card for 2k, I don't think it's a big deal.

AMD on the other hand already have a winning combination of CPU+IGP(mobo) and all that they need to do is shrink the size of 780G or 790FX and put it into processor. That should be enough to sink Clarkdale :)

I_no

__________ ___ __
*translate.google.com.au/translate?u=*global.hkepc.com/3243&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
AMD RD890, RS880D coming with SB850 southbridge in next year, January.
IGP not updated, still 4200HD based on RV620 core as 780G with UVD 2.0 + SATA 6.0 but no USB3.0

amitash

Intel OCer
so far in the mobile market intel are dominating..as for low end desktops amd are ahead and in the mid-range market there is real competetion between both the giants...will be interesting to see what the new chipsets from intel (core i5) can do...as for the high end market, intel are really way ahead with the i7's...and now with some x58 mobos below 200$, the i7-920 can really take the mid-range market if its priced equal to phenom 2 configs.

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around
Hey guys,
This is out today as Intels future plans with i7 ....... with introduction of i5 and i3. Lynfield is going to be both i7 and i5. 1156 socket is going to have both i7 and i5.

GOOD PUBLIC HOGWASH.....BUT BUT IF U SEE THE TECHNICALITIES THE 1156 PLATFORM I7 IS COMPLETE MISNOMER TO MISLEAD PUBLIC. WITHOUT QPI AND OTHER 9 SERIES SPECIALITY IT IS CHEATING PUBLIC.

Anyway read here *www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3585

Below is the most relevant part:
The important take away points are as follows:
1) The new brand is Intel Core. There will be three derivatives: Core i7, Core i5 and Core i3.
2) The Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad branding will eventually disappear.
3) Pentium, Celeron and Atom will remain.
4) Centrino will also go away and Intel's WiFi and WiMAX products will inherit the name starting in 2010.
But what separates a Core i7 from a Core i5 and Core i3? I may have some insight. Let's start with desktop processors:

Intel Core i7
: Cores 4, Threads 8, TurboYes
Intel Core i5:
Cores 2 or 4, Threads 4, Turbo Yes
Intel Core i3:
Cores 2 or 4, Threads 4, Turbo No

Only the Core i7 is allowed to run in a LGA-1366 socket, however there will be LGA-1156 i7, i5 and i3CPUs . The number of memory channels and the presence of a QPI link does not determine branding. In other words, Lynnfield will be both a Core i7 and a Core i5 depending on the SKU.
The LGA-1156 Core i7s will be the 8xx series, while the LGA-1366 i7s will be the 9xx series. The i5s will be the 6xx series and the i3s will be the 5xx series.
Four cores and HT enabled with turbo mode yields you a Core i7 on the desktop. If you only have support for up to 4 threads then you've got a Core i5; take away turbo and you have a Core i3.

(Posted also in official i7 thread, Mods delete one if necessary)

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
NEW AMD PROCESSORS - HOT

*xtreview.com/images/phenom%20II%20X4%20820%20%282.8%20GHz%29%20and%20Phenom%20II%20X3%20740%20%283.0%20GHz%29%2002.gif

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's 125W, not 95.

it's the 11th one on the pic. just below 905e & above x820 - look carefully :p

phenom II X4 Deneb HDX945WFK4DGI x945 200 3.00 2M 6M C2 95

*xtreview.com/images/phenom%20II%20X4%20820%20(2.8%20GHz)%20and%20Phenom%20II%20X3%20740%20(3.0%20GHz)%2002.gif

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
But X945 not out in india !! only 945 & 955 are 125 TDP

Any way AMD already launched a gr8 HOT OCing processor which is PHENOM 2 940 , like Intel launched Q6600 !

Any one know when is PHENOM 2 FX processor are going to launch ??8)

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Not Phenom II FX but Phenom II TWKR:

AMD TWKR is Phenom 955 on steroids
*www.fudzilla.com/content/view/14352/1/
*www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/2009/June/General%20News/amd_twkrboot_1.jpg

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good info but any idea about the speed ? I'm wondering why the speed is blurred ?

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
stand alone cards are always better than Intel IGPs....Intel IGPs will giv high scores in benchmarks but on real world tests they fail to perform in most of the rendering apps and games.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I've played Guitar Heroes 3: Legends of Rock with both the cards... Gf7200 gave 28fps. While GMA gave 39fps.

when it comes to Virtua Tennis 3, gma gave 38fps while Gf7200 gave 58-60fps.

Burnout Paradise refused to start in gma but ran on 17fps on 7200

Devil May Cry 4 gave 7200 a 25fps while gma gave 40-45fps.

Pc Wizard gave 10 points extra to gma.

Quite confused. With the results. waiting for a expert suggestion...

j1n M@tt, when i say this. I didnot mean that you aren't expert.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've played Guitar Heroes 3: Legends of Rock with both the cards... Gf7200 gave 28fps. While GMA gave 39fps.

when it comes to Virtua Tennis 3, gma gave 38fps while Gf7200 gave 58-60fps.

Burnout Paradise refused to start in gma but ran on 17fps on 7200

Devil May Cry 4 gave 7200 a 25fps while gma gave 40-45fps.

Pc Wizard gave 10 points extra to gma.

Quite confused. With the results. waiting for a expert suggestion...

j1n M@tt, when i say this. I didnot mean that you aren't expert.

Hey good observation. From the benches it seems like The gma is better than 7200GS but then again it is not fully compliant with all DX feature/Instruction set so BP did not run on GMA.

Don't pay attention to PcWizard results. The conclusion is Performance wise GMA x4500HD is better but DX Feature/Support wise 7200GS is better & who does not know 7200GS has better driver support as it's from Nvidia :p. So you will get more optimized drivers than intel from nvidia :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom