CPU/Chipset News

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
AMD phenom 2 X2 550 is winning all the core2duo's , how WOW , if it is priced @ 5K means it is the best proccy for Core2duos

AMD phenom 2 X2 550 is winning all the core2duo's , how WOW , if it is priced @ 5K means it is the best proccy for Core2duos
You sir, are wrong.

AMD Athlon II X2 250 is priced @ 5.5K - GROSSLY OVERPRICED.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition is priced @ 6.5K - OK-ish but not sweet enough IMO to NOT spend 1K more for 720BE.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
AMD to block core unlocking by BIOS microcode udpate.

Source: *www.tomshardware.co.uk/gigabyte-motherboard-amd-phenom-cpu,news-31293.html

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
not the multiplier. some boards are allowing the third and fourth cores of dual core 7750 to be unlocked using a BIOS hack. With the coming BIOS update that won't be possible.

I_no

__________ ___ __
You sir, are wrong.

AMD Athlon II X2 250 is priced @ 5.5K - GROSSLY OVERPRICED.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition is priced @ 6.5K - OK-ish but not sweet enough IMO to NOT spend 1K more for 720BE.

Can we expect both prices to lower in coming days by about Rs. 500 so that they can really give the pentium dual cores run for their money??

I_no

__________ ___ __
We can expect the Athlon II X2 250 to come to about 4k not Phenom II X2.

Thanks.
I have a feeling that Phenom II X2 will be any way phased out in coming days and that segment be covered up by higher clocked Regors (Athlon II) since Regor is cheaper to produce and the 45nm produce has matured enough to get higher yields of fully functional X4.

Also, any signs of single cores from harvested Regors coming like Athlon II X1 150??

I_no

__________ ___ __
^^I think we would find 512KB cache version Sempron II X2 and Sempron II X1 CPUs harvested from Regors.

And i thought Athlon was going to become the sempron now.
Anyway, anybody around here overclocking those Regors?? They should make for a nice 24x7 4.0 Ghz AMD setup.

And i thought Athlon was going to become the sempron now.
Anyway, anybody around here overclocking those Regors?? They should make for a nice 24x7 4.0 Ghz AMD setup.
Nope. NEVER.

Athlon II X2 will still be the best offering by AMD for budget gamers from the dual core era.

And Sempron II is most likely to be sourced from Athlon II X3 and X4 CPUs which have only 512KB of L2 cache per core.

For the same reason, I think Athlon II X3 makes a not-so-good buy along with Phenom II X3.

Triple Core CPUs were always a temporary solution. No app is optimized for triple core but not quad core. But you do have dual optimized apps which are not optimized for more cores.

So I advice you to buy one of these:

• AMD Sempron II - low budget
  • AMD Sempron II X2 - value
  • AMD Athlon II X2 - budget gaming
  • AMD Phenom II X2 - performance gaming
  • AMD Athlon II X4 - mainstream value (my favourite)
  • AMD Phenom II X4 - overall performance

And avoid these:

• AMD Athlon and Sempron series classic CPUs (excluding 4050e)
  • AMD Phenom first generation CPUs
  • AMD Athlon II X3
  • AMD Phenom II X3 NON black edition
  • About 720 Black Edition: if you already have one its fine. It beats E8000 series CPUs in almost ALL benchmarks :D

But the choice is still yours.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.techspot.com/review/171-amd-phenomx2-athlonx2/
*www.guru3d.com/article/athlon-ii-x2-250-and-phenom-ii-x2-550-be-review/

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
does the Phenom black editions come with new heatpipe based HSF?? or only PII 955 comes with the new HSF?? can someone who hav BEs plz post pics of HSF??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
BTW, AMD CPU market share jumped up by 5% last quarter. A direct cut from Intel though intel has hold on netbook market.

Now that 550 and 250 are out, I hope they will add another 8% of share and hold 30% share. This totally seems likely given the poor releases from Intel.

BTW, AMD CPU market share jumped up by 5% last quarter. A direct cut from Intel though intel has hold on netbook market.

Now that 550 and 250 are out, I hope they will add another 8% of share and hold 30% share. This totally seems likely given the poor releases from Intel.
But remember, Intel's 32nm Clarkdale (2 cores, 4 threads, on-die GPU, 4MB L3 cache, 73W TDP) is set to launch by the end of this year replacing the PDC E6300 @ 84$ according to rumors. I don't think Intel will let AMD enjoy for that long.

And AMD has next to NOTHING to combat intel in mobile CPUs.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Mobile has always been Intel's but still this time, AMD gained market share in mobile platform too. And now they released a competitor to Intel Atom.

btw, Clarkdale is the one with integrated GPU right? Any idea when Fusion is coming out?

Mobile has always been Intel's but still this time, AMD gained market share in mobile platform too. And now they released a competitor to Intel Atom.

What competitor ? Only AMD Bobcat can compete with Atom and that won't be out till 2011.

btw, Clarkdale is the one with integrated GPU right? Any idea when Fusion is coming out?

Fusion is coming out in 2010 ending with K10.5 Stars core.

Later AMD plans to use 32nm Bulldozer Cores (mainstream/performance - upto 100W TDP rumored) and 32nm Bobcat Cores (low end value, 1-10W TDP) by 2011.

Even that may get delayed due to funding issues and recession.

I doubt AMD can compete with Clarkdale and Arrandale (clarkdale's mobile equivalent).

BTW, you bought Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition yet ? :D

Top Bottom