Your impression of Panasonic Eluga S ( Moto G fans, stay away !)

rdx_halo

In the zone
Guys need a new phone. Currently using Xiaomi Mi3 with kitkat. Will give it to my wife as she needs to get rid of her windows phone.

1. Budget?
A. 14k

2. Display type and size?
A. 5 ". Max is 5" Not anymore.

3. Dual sim?
A. Fine with both single and dual sim.

4. Preferred choice of brand?
A. My first preference is Panasonic Eluga S. Panasonic Eluga S Price in India - Buy Panasonic Eluga S White 8 GB Online - Panasonic : Flipkart.com
Only tier 1 brands like Samsung, Sony, Asus, HTC (worried of support in Kolkata), NO MOTO G because of high SAR VALUE

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
A. 8 MP primary and 5 MP secondary camera, 1080p video recording with HDR.

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
A. Android only. Fine with both Kitkat and lolipop.

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
A. Currently will be using only 3g/wifi.

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
A. In order of preference: Listening to music, Browsing, phone calls, mails, facebook, whatsapp, camera, and other apps. Not a gamer by any means. May play games once in a while or so like Asphalt or Drone Shadow strike.

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
A. S3 Neo Asus Zenphone 5 (new version with 1.2 Ghz clock speed) Asus Zenfone 5 A501CG Price in India - Buy Asus Zenfone 5 A501CG Black 8 GB Online - Asus : Flipkart.com

10. Any other info that you want to share
A. On an average the phone will be used for calls, browsing and social networking like facebook and whatsapp. Need a good battery life that lasts for one working day.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Asus Zenfone 5: get the older version with 1.6 ghz clocks. newer version won't have earphones included, other than that, its ok.
S3 Neo: crap, price slashed by 50% in 8 months after launch, currently close to Moto G's pricing (I'm not even bringing in Redmi 1s in the argument ;) ). won't receive any updates. Also that resource hog crapwiz.
Low end phones from Sony, HTC lack good specifications and don't receive bug free updates.

Panasonic as a phone OEM, that phone isn't even on gsmarena :lol:

Last edited:
OP
R

rdx_halo

In the zone
@ SaiyanGoku thanks, I was also skeptical about Panasonic. Actually one of my colleague is using Asus Zenphone 5, he is very disappointed with Battery back up. Does not run more than 18 hrs. Brightness level has to be kept very low. It will be problematic for me as I stay out from 6am to 6.30 pm. I'm also waiting eagerly for Zenphone 2.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@ SaiyanGoku thanks, I was also skeptical about Panasonic. Actually one of my colleague is using Asus Zenphone 5, he is very disappointed with Battery back up. Does not run more than 18 hrs. Brightness level has to be kept very low. It will be problematic for me as I stay out from 6am to 6.30 pm. I'm also waiting eagerly for Zenphone 2.

It's not the phone's fault that battery backup is apparently low. Apps running in background will use battery no matter what. Ask your colleague to install Greenify and hibernate all user apps. Then see his battery backup. It will increase dramatically. My phone has the same 2100 mAh battery like Zenphone 5 and I'm able to get 1.5 days of battery life with 5 hours on screen time easily.

*www.digit.in/forum/mobiles-tablets...iscussion-thread-post2196990.html#post2196990

Last edited:
OP
R

rdx_halo

In the zone
It's not the phone's fault that battery backup is apparently low. Apps running in background will use battery no matter what. Ask you colleague to install Greenify and hibernate all user apps. Then see his battery backup. It will increase dramatically. My phone has the same 2100 mAh battery like Zenphone 5 and I'm able to get 1.5 days of battery life with 5 hours on screen time easily.

*www.digit.in/forum/mobiles-tablets...iscussion-thread-post2196990.html#post2196990

Thanks, what phone are you using ? Whats your opinion abt galaxy grand prime ? Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime review: Mirror shot - GSMArena.com

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks, what phone are you using ? Whats your opinion abt galaxy grand prime ? Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime review: Mirror shot - GSMArena.com

LG Optimus G E970

If I had a choice, I'd buy Zenphone 5/ Moto G over any samdung phone.
On an average, they launched an android phone every week last year (source: Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com ) :mad:

They don't update their phones except flagships and you already know about the way they keep dropping the prices. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

eureka

Banned
He is a troll. Jeez! See a user's previous posts before taking valuable suggestions! He suggests Xiaomi, Redmi crap loads to users who don't follow Digit members closely.

S3 Neo, Grand Prime, Moto G, ZenFone 5 all are good phones. As you need 8 mp rear camera definitely the suggestion would be S3 Neo and ZenFone 5.

Here is the Amazon reviews of Eluga S, Panasonic Eluga S (Black): Buy Panasonic Eluga S (Black) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

If ZenFone 5 is good phone, common sense says a Panasonic phone won't be much behind.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
He is a troll. Jeez! See a user's previous posts before taking valuable suggestions! He suggests Xiaomi, Redmi crap loads to users who don't follow Digit members closely.

S3 Neo, Grand Prime, Moto G, ZenFone 5 all are good phones. As you need 8 mp rear camera definitely the suggestion would be S3 Neo and ZenFone 5.

Here is the Amazon reviews of Eluga S, Panasonic Eluga S (Black): Buy Panasonic Eluga S (Black) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

If ZenFone 5 is good phone, common sense says a Panasonic phone won't be much behind.

If you got a problem with me, quote/tag me directly, else stfu.
Try to find a phone with same or better specifications from samsung, htc, sony and lg under 12k, that too for a person who has low budget of 5-6k and willing to increase. The reason I didn't bring Redmi 1s earlier into the argument is because the OP has good enough budget. It has the best hardware for a sub 8k phone and as for MIUI, though I hate it and find it bloated but not on crapwiz's level of over-bloat, its good enough for a first time buyer. If it had stock android, Moto G would come into overpriced category.

I've seen my friends and acquaintances buy different samsung phones from 8k to 20k budget even though they were advised against it and then after 2-3 months wanting to throw it in trash because of lagwiz, low performance, scratched screens (aforementioned Grand Prime lack Gorilla Glass or any sort of protection), scratched bodies, low internal space for apps, frequent hanging, being stuck on JB/KK with no chance of getting official updates.

Don't trust reviews from users who buy phones just by watching TV ads. If the phone is good enough, why am I unable to find its details on gsmarena?
[MENTION=148475]rdx_halo[/MENTION], I'm not going to earn anything whether you buy Asus Zenphone 5 or Samdung galaxy grand prime mega core pro mini star ace neo max style whatever and then see its price going down by 3-4k within weeks after you've bought it. Its solely your decision.

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
Sd400 is anytime better than the samsung own in house processors. Now coming to the performance of S3 neo so it is ot that great of a phone to invest over moto g 2014 or even redmi 1s since these will be going for a official lollipop rom but s3 neo is a big no. Unless a person is willing to a root which again be a problem since s3 neo do not have a great dev support where as moto g 2014 still has. And since lollipop the it is performing better than n5 in day to day tasks. I know this thread was not to praaise moto g but I got to get some facts right. And also try to respect the members who are here much before you even joined.

OP
R

rdx_halo

In the zone
He is not a troll eureka, he puts reason behind any recommendation. The problem is that apart from moto g and Asus, no tier 1 company offers 2 GB ram, 720p display, 8 mp camera, snapdragon 400 or higher processor, gorilla glass3, minimum 2100 battery backup, and most importantly android lollipop update. A smart phone remains relevant and new as long as it receives software updates. So he is right about Samsung. Instead of updating software, it just churns out new models every month. Albeit, moto g is a great phone, but I'm going to be a farther soon. Don't want to use a phone with such a high SAR value near infant. Otherwise I would have gone for moto g. Its true that apart from moto g, there is no better phone than Asus zenphon 5 in that price bracket. Had zenphone 2 available now, I wouldn't hesitate so much.
BTW, Micromax also uses OEM model?

Samsung's smartphone primacy under threat - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

Last edited:
OP
R

rdx_halo

In the zone
Just found this one. No word on price yet. If it's below 15k will go for it Samsung Galaxy Grand Max Price in India on 30 January 2015, Galaxy Grand Max Release Date and Specifications | 91mobiles.com

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Just found this one. No word on price yet. If it's below 15k will go for it Samsung Galaxy Grand Max Price in India on 30 January 2015, Galaxy Grand Max Release Date and Specifications | 91mobiles.com

avoid it trust me,touchwiz is really sluggish and the grand series arent worth it
get One Plus One or even Mi4 instead of grand max/prime

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Grand Prime with 8 MP camera, 540p screen and 1 GB ram is around 15k.
Going by the trends shown by samdung, Grand Max with 13 MP camera, 720p screen and 1.5 GB ram will have around 25k launch price, which will be slashed to 20-22k within 2-3 months.

Don't wait for another overpriced crap from samdung.

- - - Updated - - -

edit: STILL NO GORILLA GLASS 3

:facepalm: x 9000

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Lenovo A6000 is awesome!!specs and build quality are great for the price
only concern is if Lenovo will continue to release updates or if custom roms such as CM will add support

OP
R

rdx_halo

In the zone
Lenovo A6000 is awesome!!specs and build quality are great for the price
only concern is if Lenovo will continue to release updates or if custom roms such as CM will add support
Have you seen this phone? My concern is only 1 GB ram and camera quality of lenovo. Will it get lollipop update? Now I have two choices Asus zenfone 5 vs lenovo A6000. Lenovo does not have gorilla glass protection.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Have you seen this phone? My concern is only 1 GB ram and camera quality of lenovo. Will it get lollipop update? Now I have two choices Asus zenfone 5 vs lenovo A6000. Lenovo does not have gorilla glass protection.

this is the exact question everyones asking about this phone right now
from my own experience with Lenovos android offerings,their stock rom-idea desktop is really slow and laggy(changing the launcher helps alot) and they dont really update their older products
though the same question about updates is there for Asus as well though they have been releasing updates so far
camera quality wont be great on either but it should be better on asus
battery life will be better on Lenovo i guess

I can say one thing for sure,both phones are much much better buys than phones like panasonic eluga s or samsungs offerings
Moto G 2014 is a fine phone for the price but overheating issues(not as much as Redmi 1s etc but still hot) and SAR issues are the only things bringing it down,infact my friend bought the Moto G 2013 instead(limited time offer on flipkart) for the same reason and because he wanted a smaller phone

I think overall Zenfone 5 is a winner other than battery life(get a powerbank,i suggest xiaomi 5200mah -Rs600 or 10400mah -Rs900

Top Bottom