Xp shutdown very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello everyone,

I'm running Windows XP on my AMD Athlon64 3.5GHZ machine with 1GB Ram and ASUS A8N-E motherboard. From a few days the system is taking a very long time to shutdown. Especially today my PC shutdown at 8.13 even though I had scheduled my PC to shutdown at 7.56 after completing downloads.

How can I get over this problem?

sakumar79

Technomancer
Also, reduce the time taken for services and apps to wait before shutting down... You can use one of many tweaking software to achieve this.

EDIT: See *www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1590&page=32 for more info

Arun

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Open regedit and goto:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
In right-side pane create (or modify) following String values:

AutoEndTasks - 1
HungAppTimeout - 1000
LowLevelHooksTimeout - 1000
WaitToKillAppTimeout - 2000

and now goto:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
In right-side pane create (or modify) following String value:

WaitToKillServiceTimeout - 2000

shashank_re

In the zone
Vishal..... Thanks a lot for that giude.
Can you please post any similar guide for speeding up the startup process........mine keeps displaying"Windows is starring up"message for ages..!!!!

abhijangda

Padawan
shashank_re said:
Vishal..... Thanks a lot for that giude.
Can you please post any similar guide for speeding up the startup process........mine keeps displaying"Windows is starring up"message for ages..!!!!
My frieand Shashank_re to increase ur windows startup speed first defragment ur system drive in which windows is installed. Click on Start then go to run and type regedit.exe then go to file and then go to import then select type the file name and then save it this will make your registry backup. Now go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement\PreftechParameters
Here you will find a entry EnablePrefetecher dbl click it and change its value to 9 it can be changed up to 9 only. If u increse value then this will increase speed and if u decrease it then this will decrease speed.
BTW for webgenius my friend u should also defragment your volume and follow the same guidlines as provided by Vishal Gupta. Here in these 2 string value these values are in milliseconds decrease them to decrease shutdown speed. In my case these values are 0 and my comp. shutdown in 15 or 25 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom