XP problem URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
total capacity of my C: is 5GB(where XP is installed)
now only 1.75 GB is left
when we hibernate a file is saved(ram size 128MB)
i want to delete all those files
i want to increase the empty space in C:

NOTE: All the results to be posted by tommorow 8:30PM

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
=>disable/ turn OFF the "System Restore" points only in that Drive.

=>move the "My Documents" folder to other drive.

=>& you can also move the "Program Files" folder to other partition. (or install the new Application in other partitions.

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
1.) Disk Cleanup
2.) Empty Temporary Internet Files
3) Empty Temp folder
4.) Empty Prefetch folder
5.) Search for following files and delete them:

mscreate.dir;whatsnew.*;*.tmp;*.log;*log.txt;*readme.txt;file_id.diz;tips.txt;*.bak;*.old;*.syd;*.prv;*.grp;*.gid;*.fts;*.cnt;*.~mp

6.) Disable System Restore
7.) Look for "$random letters$" folders (HIDDEN) in "C:\Windows" folder and remove them, these r backup folders, which r created by Automatic Updates!

DukeNukem

Come get Some
well you can try the above mentioned
but i would like suggest to either increase your C drive partition size.
if not possible try upgrading.
as 5GB for OS is good till windows 98SE, you need to try atleast 10 gb for windows XP if you need to install a few good programs with it.
and if you apply service pack to it it will go beyond 2.4 gb+ (just windowsXP and Servicepack 2) add office to it 550MB+, see what you need is bit large partition.

system restore feature will eats up plenty of your presious space. dissable it.

from time to time empty your temp folder (use cleantemp for this free one and erase your temp folder contents every time you boot), empty the cache of the browser you uses (they have this feature which empty the cache when you close the browser).

do not empty prefetch folder too often as it will decrease your system performance

though i would not suggest to dissable hibernation as for its feature but if you do not use this dissable it to from control panel's power option.

shift the paging file to some other drive of your hdd (if you have space on them) other than your C drive

anandk

Distinguished Member
uce freeware 'ccleaner' to automate ur junk removal tasks. www.ccleaner.com
clearing the prefetcher say once in a long while is, well, ok.
use xp diskcleanup utility to compress old files.
i prefer to keep systemrestore 'on'. never know when it may come in handy.

OP
Tech Geek

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
is there any way to delete the files which are created when we press hibernated???
i don't want to remove the turnoff option
@dukenukem i have alredy incresed the size of C:/ from 3.75GB to 5GB
i don't want to increase it anymore

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Yes the file can be deleted, from Tools--> Folder Options disable the option to Hide protected Operating System Files and then u'll see the file there name should be hiber something. Make sure your last reboot was complete shutdown and start and delete the file.

I would suggest enabling compression on the drive and moving the My Documents and Program Files Directories to the other drive as well.

Nd yes Hardware is the cheapest thing nwdays ... increase ur HDD

S

shashank_digitreader

change the virtual memory.
Rightclick-my computer>advanced>Performance-settings>advanced>Virutal mamory-change...........
it might help

Tushar.bar

Journeyman
Tech Geek said:
is there any way to delete the files which are created when we press hibernated???
i don't want to remove the turnoff option
@dukenukem i have alredy incresed the size of C:/ from 3.75GB to 5GB
i don't want to increase it anymore

The files are store on the allocated space for virtual memory. set " no paging file on that drive" it must increase your free space.

Rightclick-my computer>advanced>Performance-settings>advanced>Virutal mamory-change...........

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
When you enable hibernition, a file with size equal to your RAM size is created (hiberfil.sys) . If you dont want this file, you'll have to disable hibernition do this :
Start > Run > powercfg.cpg <Press Enter>
On the Hibernition tab, Uncheck the option of Enable Hibernition

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
One more thing can be done! ;)

If WFP (Windows File Protection) service is disabled, then we can safely remove %windir%\System32\Dllcache folder, it contains a backup of all system files and its size is between 500MB-1 GB approx. :)

I always disable WFP service and then remove this folder to free space :D

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Vishal, That System backup directory '%windir\System32\Dllcache' is there for a purpose!!
What is you/someone accidentally deletes a System file? You can restore it from there.
I think you get my point. Otherwise you have reinstall Windows.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
We can also restore the required file from the Setup itself ;)

All files can be extracted from XP setup CD :)

And if we hv disabled WFP service then this directory is useless! And we hv to disable the WFP service if we want to hack system files, like explorer.exe, etc frequently for resource hacking :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom