XP drivers for Compaq C791TU

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Can anyone please help me find drivers quickly for a Compaq C791TU laptop?

The laptop belongs to someone who bought it in another city where she's studying. She says that it came with Windows XP. Since Compaq dropped support for XP some time ago, it must have been installed by the shop.

There are no backup files on the hard disk, not even a hidden partition; and the owner had left whatever CD/DVDs she had in her place of study.

The computer was infested with malware and Windows was so corrupted that the only practicable solution was a fresh installation. I formatted C: and installed Win XP with various apps and utilities. I installed drivers for display and MS UAA. Now I need drivers for sound and the wireless network adapter.

Last night, I found a site that gave a list of links to XP drivers for the C791TU, all from HP's ftp site, but none of them works. I tried to visit the referrer site again today, but it had been suspended for non-payment.

Can anyone please help me locate the drivers? I need them quickly because the owner is going back to college on Friday.

OP
P

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
No one?? Anyway, I've solved the problem.

I downloaded about 20 separate drivers for each hardware device and used the nine most suitable ones - for graphics, sound, network, W/L LAN, modem, etc. I had to force-feed a couple of them to make Windows accept them.

I even managed to browse the net with someone's unsecured wireless account (but only long enough to make sure everything was working. It would be unethical to keep using someone else's account without their permission).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom