Xiaomi secretly sending your info to Chinese servers

quagmire

Allllright !
Xiaomi secretly sending your info to Chinese servers - GSMArena Blog
chinese-servers/

You always had a feeling that Xiaomi’s deals were too good to be true, but you just couldn’t figure out what the catch was exactly, right?

Well it’s safe to say now that that puzzle’s been solved, as the RedMi Note was caught red-handed sending private user info to a Chinese server.

What kind of info? User photos and text messages were being transferred to a private server that’s being hosted in China. The phone connects to an IP address automatically whenever it links to a WiFi network and transmits data. It still sends data over 3G, but just at a much lower rate.

*cdn.gsmarena.com/pics/14/07/redmi-secretchina/gsmarena_002.jpg

What’s more is that the surreptitious activity cannot be easily fought: even rooting the handset and flashing it with an entirely new firmware does nothing; your private data will transmit regardless.

There have already been concerns of*Chinese cell phone manufacturers sending private user data to the Chinese government, so this certainly doesn’t look good for Xiaomi.

Looks like Xiaomi is working for China to make a NSA of their own. Well done!
Sorry for the guys who just bought a Xiaomi.

Dig a little deeper, this is a speculation-changed-to-hype incident reported by a single user in a tech forum. Too early to witch hunt. We'd need credible sources verifying this.

quicky008

Technomancer
I could never get myself to trust these awful chinese cell phone manufacturers-something didn't really seem right about them.This disquieting report only confirms that my suspicions were not entirely unfounded-i wonder what the Chinese govt actually plans to do with all that data,i hope they aren't planning in secret to build some kind of instrument of war that could be used to take over the world or something.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If Chinese are to built an instrument of war they would need a lot more data than who my friends are, my favourite places to visit, or the songs I listen. They can't make use of anyone's personal data unless they happen to be working with Indian government in department of security.

What if someone who do work with department of security buys a Xiaomi phones. Sh!t!

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
I could never get myself to trust these awful chinese cell phone manufacturers-something didn't really seem right about them.This disquieting report only confirms that my suspicions were not entirely unfounded-i wonder what the Chinese govt actually plans to do with all that data,i hope they aren't planning in secret to build some kind of instrument of war that could be used to take over the world or something.

Terminator?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

Spyware everywhere.... ****...

If Chinese are to built an instrument of war they would need a lot more data than who my friends are, my favourite places to visit, or the songs I listen. They can't make use of anyone's personal data unless they happen to be working with Indian government in department of security.

What if someone who do work with department of security buys a Xiaomi phones. Sh!t!

There's a highly researched topic called behavioral analytics. You'd be very surprised to know how a trend is analysed with all this data. Ultimately, the aim of such organizations is crowd control and manipulation.
Your friends list, the websites you visit, the images you take might all seem unimportant and pretty much useless to you; but, that's in your own context.
What would I do if I have access to the said data for a thousand people?

Map an event that is visible to the said sample space of 1000 people, say the Russia - Ukraine issue. Take notes of the frequency of mentions of the countries, record opinions etc.
People open up and lash in private, thus we derive pure opinions from tracking their messages. We'd also get to know how much a person ignores the said topic (why is this relevant? because the targeted sample is assumed to posses the basic skill of reading news, and thus another metric of how a population is aware of current affairs is generated)
Geolocation, well duh - travel patterns, spending patterns, browsing patterns and even the number of clicks you make is relevant now, in this world. This is just a wild guess of options I typed up in a couple of minutes. Imagine a scientist doing the same.

Now with all this pattern data and information, the final question comes "What's the bloody use?"
Well, information is power. When you're the ambassador to India, I'll just send you that selfie you took with your sister's makeup then suddenly deleting it without realizing it actually went though the cloud storage and thus our servers. ggwp

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
*i.imgur.com/UBtWobL.jpg

thing is we are better off trusting the nsa than some unknown source,could be a bunch of not-so-friendly scammers and hackers
nsa would not misuse the info to withdraw money from your account or something

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Well, the concern is:

What’s more is that the surreptitious activity cannot be easily fought: even rooting the handset and flashing it with an entirely new firmware does nothing; your private data will transmit regardless.

Esoteric Eric

Journeyman
Everybody (government) is interested in somebody

I personally don't think the NSA is any different. Even our own government wants Facebook to comply. Blackberry denied our government the chance to let them have the encryption algorithm needed to snoop into their user's data. So, its not like the Chinese are the only one. Just that they are fashionably hated in general. Now if Snowden hadn't come out with his story, what would one have thought about USA ?

I don't think this is going to make a difference in my life (unless my data gets routinely streamed to some hacker in China). Besides, its a coincidence that I do not (and will not) own a Mi3.

The keyword here is, destination. There is a difference between spying and hacking. I'd be wary of the latter, Chinese or not. What if someone phishes my bank account details ? Tracks me for malicious reasons ? Harasses me randomly ? That is not okay.

sushovan

In the zone
Well, the concern is:

Absolutely baseless and impossible .The author of the source didn't post any screenshot showing this happens on new firmware cause he never installed any new firmware. ( provided this screenshot is real et al). The whole thing seems a big hoax to me

Esoteric Eric

Journeyman
Everything is possible. Its just that this blog post is not convincing enough. A more thorough analysis over at XDA would have had more of an influence on me.

abracadabra

Journeyman
Negative publicity is good publicity!
Eveyone is talking Xiaomi , Xiaomi; WTF!! Was this company even known to the people who talk about it now, a week or two back!! No!
Xiaomi is reaping in its brand name in a negative way Oh no! Its good for their business model anyways; all Indian tech forums, tech blogs written in India are speaking about Xiaomi doin this and that, stocks running out Xiaomi we hate you and F*** Y**. Whatever Xiaomi didnt even have to manipulate the Indian market, Its like Hugo has to just sit in his chair and all attention is got!
Did Xiaomi foresee a blessing in disguise?? WOW! This is called really publicity! Pay nothing and let media do its wonders! Superb marketing!

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I see some Xaomi fanboys fiercely defending the brand. We Indian's don't care about the consequences as long as it comes cheap, do we ?

I can't believe I am saying this but apparently, Russel Peters was right about the Indian mentality.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
thing is we are better off trusting the nsa than some unknown source,could be a bunch of not-so-friendly scammers and hackers
nsa would not misuse the info to withdraw money from your account or something

+Infinite to this....
But I love Xiaomi Mi3 now......

Top Bottom