Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
MY MOBO SPECS ARE:
Intel 845GL Chipset.
Supports only 266MHz DDR RAM

AGP SLOT SPECS ARE:
AGP Slot supports only ADD cards.
Supports AGP2.0 including 1x/2x/4x AGP data transfers and 2X/4X Fast Write
AGP 1.5 Connector support only. No support for 3.3v or universal AGP connectors.

I want to buy XFX 5200 3D card which is 8X supported.

Will it work properly on my mobo?
Are there any other better alternatives?
My dealer is quoting 2800 for the above card. Price OK?

mohit

The Hardware Labs
price is okay. the card will be supported but it wont perform to its maximum as its a 8x card and it will have to work at 4x speeds as your mobo doesnt support agp 8x. a mobo change is recommended.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
AGP 8x is backwards compatible with 4x so there won't be any problem. The difference in performance is negligible.

The XFX FX5200/128MB card runs on 1.5V, so no problem there. It's available for 2200-2500 in metros, but 2800 may be reasonable in places where the market is relatively small.

Alternatives ? Well, the FX5200 is low-end by current gaming standards, but good for its price class. You can enjoy practically all games with it if you're willing to play the more advanced ones at reduced settings.

There are lots of better alternatives, but the prices are correspondingly higher too.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
u r going to byu a 5200 buddy.dont worry u wont even feel the diff between 8x nd 4x.
xfx 5200 costs 2250+tax..

D

Deleted member 5901

Yeah There will not be much difference When it runs in 4x MODE !!! Hey but if i RE-CALL well i think the 845GL Supports 8x ???? Thats on the ORIGINAL INTEL BOARD !!!

Neway If u can increase ur budget by around 200-500/- U can think of a XFX 5200 wit 256mb or a 5600 or A 5700le !!!

Neway !!!

Cheers !!!

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Intel 845GL motherboards are NOT supposed to have an AGP slot at all, unless you have one of those special motherboards with an AGPI slot....

Read this, it may help: :)

*www.pcpartner.com/support/faq/845glgv_agi.htm

D

Deleted member 5901

AcceleratorX said:
Intel 845GL motherboards are NOT supposed to have an AGP slot at all, unless you have one of those special motherboards with an AGPI slot....

Read this, it may help: :)

*www.pcpartner.com/support/faq/845glgv_agi.htm

Wat every it mayb this link shud help u decide !!!!

Cheers !!! :wink: :!:

expertno.1

Technomancer
U should wait and upgrade ur computer when pci-e
comes and the motherboard must also be upgrade to use 8x agp cards otherwise u r in losss..as happend with me

i buyed xfx 5700 and ........sluggish speed ..due to 4x

D

Deleted member 5901

expertno.1 said:
U should wait and upgrade ur computer when pci-e
comes and the motherboard must also be upgrade to use 8x agp cards otherwise u r in losss..as happend with me

i buyed xfx 5700 and ........sluggish speed ..due to 4x

Yeh Expertno.1 is right !!!

Cheers !!!!! :wink: :!:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Being a "mainly AMD" guy, I have worked with only a few 845 mobos and those were some time ago. So my first post was based on the OP's statement that his mobo has an AGP slot.

Anyway, I don't think the poor performance experienced by expertno.1 was due to the port speed. True, 8x has twice the bandwidth of 4x, but today's graphics do not fully utilise the capability of even 4x, much less 8x. It must have been due to some other reason.

As an analogy, imagine a case where you need a pipe to pump water over a short distance. If you're going to pump only a few liters per minute, it doesn't really matter if the pipe is 10cm or 14cm in diameter. The amount of water (data) is simply too small to make a noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom