wscntfy.exe--I think its from virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharathsharma05

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
Am using windows XP sercvice pack 2.I have a problem.
wscntfy.exe is the process that always runs under my user name.
Everytime I end that process it will again appers. And the tray icon that automatic updates are turned off always appears. But i have turned on my automatic updates.

And there is another startup item,
yadgpmwg--Rundll.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\yadgpmwg.dll's
I dont know what it is..

Am using Kaspersky Internet security 2009.

And my PC hangs for some time, but this never occured before.

whats the solution??

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hello

wscntfy.exe is the process that always runs under my user name.

wscntfy.exe - This is a part of windows XP's SP2. This is a little notification that will be in your taskbar and continue to nag you about various security settings like your firewall, automatic updates and virus protection.

The original wscntfy.exe from Microsoft gets placed at C:WINDOWSSystem32wscntfy.exe . If you find it anywhere else then you should be suspicious for sure.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\yadgpmwg.dll's

strange dll file....just update ur antivirus....
use AVG 8 Free Edition or bitdefender internet security they have antispyware feature also...:D

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Am not exactly sure.
For automatic updates, go to control panel> security centre>on left click Change the way sec centre alerts me and deselect auto update(all 3 preferably)

For wscntfy.exe, afaik its not usually a virus.Came with sp2 as part of sc.Neway, search for wscntfy in C,with "search for hidden and s/m protected files" enabled.and scan the results.It its located in system 32 it won't be a virus.else delete.

For .dll,search,scan,delete.

Run regedit, search .dll, delete all entries..

afonofa

Journeyman
If wscntfy.exe is in C:\Windows\system32 folder, then its for windows security center notifications. If you don't rely on the security center alerts, you can safely disable the Security Center service and wscntfy won't bother you anymore from the next restart.

Code:
start > run > services.msc > locate Security Center > right click > properties > from the drop down on the General tab select Disabled > OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom