WPG, Microsoft, and Intel launch 'Made in India' PC Experience - NuPC

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
Well,that's a different case and performance issue is subjective to individuals plus higher performing SKUs do cost more
But for those who use Windows(which is most people and businesses) they can't get it much cheaper.
The cheapest version on Windows 8.1 that an individual can buy(Windows 8.1 Bing is OEM only) along with storage and RAM would exceed those costs.
Building HTPC or buying a barebone SFF or laptop/tablet is an individual preference and a different issue.

The point is that these NuPC units don't seem to be that badly priced as some misinformed posts and apple to oranges comparison did make it out to be.
There are lot of SFFs out there in various online stores and a comparison can be made.Even few posts earlier a comparison was made with another model.
And one will find a lot of units with similar prices for the specs they offer or sometimes relatively quite higher...
Prices can be bit here and there but these(NuPC) are certainly not outrageously priced if a comparison is made now.
The comparison of these SFF units is with other such SFF units..and this one is particularly targeted at Windows preferring audiences and businesses.

Everyone have windows licence nowadays. I dont need seperate windows for my desktop, laptop,htpc and this nuc. Also, in India majority of consumers don't buy windows until or unless it's comming for free. So, if you include the cost of windows and and say well 25% cost is for the windows. I don't buy that argument.
Secondly, OEM players give windows home edition etc almost for free. They have there own internal contracts which cost them next to nothing. There is no way I an going to pay that amount for additional windows.

The Ram and 500GB hardisk aren't as costly as you are making it sound. Even if we take your example 9k for barebones+5-6k for hardisk and ram. That comes to 14-15k. And I might even get better 1tb for Rs500-600 extra.

The amount they are asking is atleast 20-30% premium and justifying it with additional windows. Which is ridiculous.

Also, nowadays you can easily get better performing laptop and tablets at that range that even includes a additional screen. I don't see any point in releasing them from marketing perspective other than what I have mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Well,that's a different case and performance issue is subjective to individuals plus higher performing SKUs do cost more
But for those who use Windows(which is most people and businesses) they can't get it much cheaper.
The cheapest version on Windows 8.1 that an individual can buy(Windows 8.1 Bing is OEM only) along with storage and RAM would exceed those costs.
Building HTPC or buying a barebone SFF or laptop/tablet is an individual preference and a different issue.

The point is that these NuPC units don't seem to be that badly priced as some misinformed posts and apple to oranges comparison did make it out to be.
There are lot of SFFs out there in various online stores and a comparison can be made.Even few posts earlier a comparison was made with another model.
And one will find a lot of units with similar prices for the specs they offer or sometimes relatively quite higher...
Prices can be bit here and there but these(NuPC) are certainly not outrageously priced if a comparison is made now.
The comparison of these SFF units is with other such SFF units..and this one is particularly targeted at Windows preferring audiences and businesses.

I happen to have a first hand experience because Im currently in the market to revamp all the computers in my businesses.
Nupc doesnt really appeal to me as a cost effective solution atleast for our requirements.
its pricing isnt vfm at all for a business environment.
Im able to get a custom made touchscreen billing system running windows 8.1 with 4gb ram,i3,500gb hdd for 35k(also upgradeable) and the parts included are all from reputed companies such as IBM and Dell
A Nupc setup will cost much more and since most businesses already have a handful of licenses ready(we have 22 atm),buying windows separately etc wont matter and we might as well go in for NUC instead of Nupc

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone have windows licence nowadays. I dont need seperate windows for my desktop, laptop,htpc and this nuc. Also, in India majority of consumers don't buy windows until or unless it's comming for free. So, if you include the cost of windows and and say well 25% cost is for the windows. I don't buy that argument.
Secondly, OEM players give windows home edition etc almost for free. They have there own internal contracts which cost them next to nothing. There is no way I an going to pay that amount for additional windows.

The Ram and 500GB hardisk aren't as costly as you are making it sound. Even if we take your example 9k for barebones+5-6k for hardisk and ram. That comes to 14-15k. And I might even get better 1tb for Rs500-600 extra.

The amount they are asking is atleast 20-30% premium for additional windows. Which is ridiculous.

totally agreed,to add to that, WPG is an unheard of ,taiwanese brand
why would a business such as mine risk reliability and service etc when we can source much better and cheaper versions from brands such as IBM,Lenovo and Dell(Im able to get something similar for 35k with a touchscreen monitor included)

vkl

Cyborg Agent

The amount they are asking is atleast 20-30% premium and justifying it with additional windows. Which is ridiculous.

Also, nowadays you can easily get better performing laptop and tablets at that range that even includes a additional screen. I don't see any point in releasing them from marketing perspective other than what I have mentioned in my previous post.

Well,OEMs don't get Windows(other than Windows 8.1 Bing subsidized and made free for 7" tabs and subsidized for 9" ones) for free necessarily always,certainly not all and not all versions.Even in contract it is subsidized a lot but not free in most versions.Whether you buy Windows or not is again an individual choice.
Yes in many cases people or businesses can already have licenses and having a preinstalled Windows won't matter,they should prefer barebones or DIY.
Many would be satisfied with a barebone SFF and a distro to go with it.

Simply check out the online stores and compare with other SFF units...you will find many ones costlier than this and some priced according to their specs.
Even by your own estimation you have reached 14-15k without OS.Also whenever things come preinstalled/preconfigured they are generally pricier relatively than DIY.There are many who won't go DIY route unlike many of us here and just get the preconfigured ones.And this estimation quite possibly be off if the SKU used in the NUPC is a different and a better one which is quite possible.A faster processor would add to the cost.So many of these SFF units have quite higher prices than their specs and quite a number of them are much higher priced than these units as well.Some of the chrome OS SFF boxes with 2GB RAM and 16GB SSD as storage are priced so much higher relative to their specs,also Vivopc prices have been higher...many such examples.
The point I made was neither about it's VFM factor nor about its appeal to individuals.All I said was these don't seem to be priced that bad(as made out) when compared with many other such SFFs available online especially the preconfigured ones.Anyway,we would know exact specs with time perhaps and when it is actually sold at a price then it could be compared more properly with other SFFs.

Nupc doesnt really appeal to me as a cost effective solution atleast for our requirements.

Neither to me at the moment.Notebook market is much bigger,market share of SFFs is very tiny relatively but yeah those tiny amount of people count for NUCs and other SFFs by intel,zotac,Gigabyte,Asus,etc..It's a newer market,there are some uses and of it and some people who will go for these units.
There hasn't been lot of AMD chips involved in such SFFs(only a few) but it's quite possible that with newer APUs,many of their chips also are used in similar units much wider than they have been before.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I happen to have a first hand experience because Im currently in the market to revamp all the computers in my businesses.
Im able to get a custom made touchscreen billing system running windows 8.1 with 4gb ram,i3,500gb hdd for 35k(also upgradeable) and the parts included are all from reputed companies such as IBM and Dell

I need a POS system, how can u get a whole pc with touchscreen in 35k? recently i did a g3220 build with cx450, gigabyte mobo with usb3,sata3,840evo, 4gb ram, and it was 20k...only cpu.

tell me what components i need to buy

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I need a POS system, how can u get a whole pc with touchscreen in 35k? recently i did a g3220 build with cx450, gigabyte mobo with usb3,sata3,840evo, 4gb ram, and it was 20k...only cpu.

tell me what components i need to buy

I dont know the exact components yet but its a i3 haswell,4gb ram,500gb hdd(2.5 inch slimline),Display is by Dell
its a custom make but it has full warranty coverage and I dont have full details since Im buying it in bulk and as a complete package with billing system(ERP),Billing Printer etc
the hardware cost is 35k (base price,without printer and software included)

btw if you want a monitor with touchscreen included,flipkart has a dell touchscreen monitor for 17k,dunno how it is though

- - - Updated - - -

Well,OEMs don't get Windows(other than Windows 8.1 Bing subsidized and made free for 7" tabs and subsidized for 9" ones) for free necessarily always,certainly not all and not all versions.Even in contract it is subsidized a lot but not free in most versions.Whether you buy Windows or not is again an individual choice.
Yes in many cases people or businesses can already have licenses and having a preinstalled Windows won't matter,they should prefer barebones or DIY.
Many would be satisfied with a barebone SFF and a distro to go with it.

Simply check out the online stores and compare with other SFF units...you will find many ones costlier than this and some priced according to their specs.
Even by your own estimation you have reached 14-15k without OS.Also whenever things come preinstalled/preconfigured they are generally pricier relatively than DIY.There are many who won't go DIY route unlike many of us here and just get the preconfigured ones.And this estimation quite possibly be off if the SKU used in the NUPC is a different and a better one which is quite possible.A faster processor would add to the cost.So many of these SFF units have quite higher prices than their specs and quite a number of them are much higher priced than these units as well.Some of the chrome OS SFF boxes with 2GB RAM and 16GB SSD as storage are priced so much higher relative to their specs,also Vivopc prices have been higher...many such examples.
The point I made was neither about it's VFM factor nor about its appeal to individuals.All I said was these don't seem to be priced that bad(as made out) when compared with many other such SFFs available online especially the preconfigured ones.Anyway,we would know exact specs with time perhaps and when it is actually sold at a price then it could be compared more properly with other SFFs.

Neither to me at the moment.Notebook market is much bigger,market share of SFFs is very tiny relatively but yeah those tiny amount of people count for NUCs and other SFFs by intel,zotac,Gigabyte,Asus,etc..It's a newer market,there are some uses and of it and some people who will go for these units.
There hasn't been lot of AMD chips involved in such SFFs(only a few) but it's quite possible that with newer APUs,many of their chips also are used in similar units much wider than they have been before.

I wouldnt term it as DIY,its very very simple to add the needed components,a simple turn of the screw

vkl

Cyborg Agent
I wouldnt term it as DIY,its very very simple to add the needed components,a simple turn of the screw

It's not a big deal but well it's technically still DIY, but I was mainly referring to building own mini-ITX set ups and likes.

Top Bottom