Wot 2 do with PII.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pop143

Journeyman
hi friends..

my friend has an old pII 266mhz computer. his motherboard has some power component problem and the hardware technicians told them , tough 2 fix motherboard..so change it. and its also tough to get a motherboard for a p2 in these days.

his processor , hdd, fdd, cd drive ram are all working in good condition..

wot 2 do with this cpu now??? it wont go for a decent resale price also.

can anybody give a hint...for its max good usage..??

sakumar79

Technomancer
there are only two options as far as i can see... One, sell the processor, but you wont get a good price for it. Two, try to get a second hand mobo for the proccy and get a backup computer.. But it will be hard to get the second hand mobo afaik...

Arun

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Maybe you can try someone you know and has an old computer still lying around. Not to mention too are too low for that.

OP
P

pop143

Journeyman
hmm....thans for ure suggestions guys...

all the prob id the motherboard for the p2 .

more over it has 16mb ram and 2gb hdd. by the way is there any mobo like built in processor?? i heard something like that..!!! wud that be a cheap alternative to replace to p3 celeron instead..??

Ch@0s

In the zone
Look for VIA C3 kits. They come in a cpu+mobo combo. However ur current ram may not run in that. Infact nothing sells right now that uses SDRAM.

OP
P

pop143

Journeyman
Ch@0s said:
Look for VIA C3 kits. They come in a cpu+mobo combo. However ur current ram may not run in that. Infact nothing sells right now that uses SDRAM.

VIA c3--cud u give some extra details...??? how much wud it be?? wot type processor pentium or celeron??? will it support ddr ram..????

thanks

Ch@0s

In the zone
Via C3 is the name of the CPU duh.. :p. Its the cheapest thing you can get. AFAIK, the mobo+CPU will cost around 3K. You need to get DDR memory for it cos it doesn't accept SDRAM.

OP
P

pop143

Journeyman
if possible..cud u give a link to the thing..u r specifying...?

cud u give the approx price for this..??

Ch@0s

In the zone
Here you go

*www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/c3/

Don't expect to play games on it but it'll definitely be faster than that P2 233.

anispace

dattebayo
I also have my P2 333MHz comp. works perfectly.... but no use for it. So i hav just packed and stored it.

Last edited:
OP
P

pop143

Journeyman
if anybody can send me a p2 motherboard, there r two of my brothers in relation , eager to have a computer at home. it wud be really helpful for those kids to use and learn computers at this age. so only am thinking 2 do some help.please anybody can do help , assist me;

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
DO A MOD.

built some kind if information station of it. place the CRT(or small 8"x6" LCD it u can afford it) somewere like roof corner/wall mount.. reporting weather n tv schedule n rss news.. add IR reciever and a remote(it is cheap) to do some remote controlling.

actally that is what i am planning to do with my old pIII 1GHZ comp. so OOPS the idea is out.

chk this
*www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-636947.html
*www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29251&highlight=pii
^>>>*sparkytfl.no-ip.org/Server.html

one guy somewere says
"Assume for the sake of argument that the computer in question has something between a 266MHz PII and a 1GHz PIII, and 128k or less of RAM. thats not a computer, thats a caculator :p "
LOL

Last edited:
OP
P

pop143

Journeyman
k,...for that my motherboard is repair.......wot 2 do..?? everything is k..if i can get a new motherboard..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom