With NortonGhost, HowToCreate ImageOf 'Installed Software Only'To Solve Wndws Problms

jbohaj

Broken In
With Norton Ghost, How to Create Image of "Installed Softwares Only", So that in New Windows, Re-Installation of Softwares can be Eliminated & Previous Windows Problems, like (Automatic Restarts, due to faulty Windows Drivers) can be Solved.

Hello, I am very new to Norton Ghost & thinking (assuming) about 1st creating a C:\drive Image with Norton Ghost, before formatting C:\drive, in order to Eliminate following 3 problems in New Windows: -

(Windows is running from last 1 & Half year)

3 problems: -
(1) When I Switch On UPS, PC Restart automatically (without pressing power botton on CPU).

(2) After shutting down windows, PC Restart automatically.

(3) Sometimes, while PC running, it Restart automatically.

Whether these r Windows Problem?, windows Driver Problem?, UPS Problem? or Hardware Problem?.

To solve above 3 problems, I think (assume) that, I should Start with installing New Windows XP SP3 with following steps: - (i) Create a C:\ drive Image with N-Ghost, because I Wont want to Again install all softwares again in New Windows (ii) Then Format C:\ drive (iii) Then Install a New Fresh Windows XP
SP3 (iv) Then Restore N-Ghost Image.

Whether above steps are possible & accurate?

Suppose, if above 3 problems are due to "Windows Malfunction" or due to "Faulty Drivers", then whether they will Solved after installing New Windows & then Restoring Image of "Installed Software only" created with N-Ghost?.

Due to being very New to Norton Ghost, I assuming that Norton Ghost can create an image of "Installed Softwares Only". Is it true? Or Ghost Create image of Software alongwith windows?

hansraj

In the zone
Re: With NortonGhost, HowToCreate ImageOf 'Installed Software Only'To Solve Wndws Pro

Ok.. for your first part
1. There is a very high probability that your bios has the option of "Resume on AC Power on" or similar kind of option enabled under the "Power" menu. Get that option de-selected. In different mobo's this option may be similar looking but performs the same function.
2. should not happen in a normal pc. Reasons- You may come across the possible cause under the power option of bios or also once u disable the option as stated above in no 1, your problem may get solved. Generally driver issue will not cause this.
3. This can happen due various reasons and driver compatibility is the most probable cause. Any corrupt system file can also result in this.

Now coming to Norton ghost. It appears that you havent understood the purpose of Norton ghost (and if u have then u have conveyed something vague about what u want to do with it). Norton ghost is nothing but a backup application. Not a normal backup but with a capability to backup your system as it is in present condition with the OS running! It should be used for that purpose only. It also gives u an option of booting up with the rescue disk (or even an option in boot menu while PC boots up presenting you rescue disk interface from the hdd itself called as lightsout restore).
So best would be to Install any new OS in the desired partition. Install all the softwares which you want to use. Update the OS from the internet to latest patches/releases. And now make an image of this partition and keep it somewhere else and not in this system partition. Once you have this image you can restore this healthy state anytime either using
1. boot up using the rescue disk (CD/DVD)a nd restore the saved image
2. boot up using the lightsout restore (installed in hdd) and restore the saved image

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Re: With NortonGhost, HowToCreate ImageOf 'Installed Software Only'To Solve Wndws Pro

Thanks, all above booting problems were due to faulty power supply, replaced it & all gone. Thanks for making me understand functioning of N-Ghost. I am very much new to N-Ghost & cant create c:\ drive backup without a Full Article of N-Ghost. Can you refer?

hansraj

In the zone

you can check the help file once you install the application. Its easy to understand and pretty vast in explaining. that will help u definitely.

Top Bottom