Wireless Wifi router/modem for home use with PC, Laptop, Mobile Buying suggestion

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Hi Friends

i will be getting a new broadband internet connection from cable operator in my area. he will be setting up the connection in my house after a week,

i want to use this internet connection in Desktop PC, Laptop, Mobile phones without any wires so i am thinking to create a wifi zone in my area where i can connect all the hardware with password.

i have never done this before, please suggest me the best wifi router or modem for this purpose.

Can i set up wifi without any help of the service provider engineer ?

my budget is very less 1k to 2k

thanks in advance

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you can install windows then with some reading of various online guides or watching youtube videos you should be able to do it without any professional assistance.check out TP-LINK TL-WR841N for ~1500.wifi modem is needed for broadband connection using telephone line(bsnl,mtnl,airtel & reliance).

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
what i want to do is, i want to plug the internet cable to the wifi router, and connect all other hardware like mobile, laptop wirelessly with the router, i want something like that, so i just have to keep the wifi router on, and whenever i want to surf the net i can connect my mobile or laptop from any corner of the room

mitraark

Decrepit
I own the TPLink WR841 router,and I'd suggest you rather buy the cheaper WR740

Its Rs 875 on Flipkart currently, much lower than the street price.

Can you mention what your ISP is? Are you from Kolkata?

mitraark

Decrepit
I'm quite certain you can install the router by yourself, a friend of mine was asked to cough up Rs 550 for installation which is absurd for something which can be done in 5 minutes.

There's a thread on how to set up Wi FI router with cable broadband in this section, you might find that helpful.

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
i can setup the wifi my self, after going to some online tutorial,

today the net guy setup internet at my home, currently the net cable is pluffed in RJ 45 jack of the pc, he have not given any IP setting, he created a dialer with username and password and everytime i start pc i have to just click connet on the dialer and it will connect to the internet. i asked him whether i can plugged the cable in my laptop and use the net on lappy, he said "NO", as for that he has to reset the mac address, i dont know what is that

now i all i need is that i use the net ccable and plug it into wifi router so without use of any pc i can share the internet with laptop, mobile etc. also if possible use a portable hdd to directly connect to the router via usb or any other connection and download stuff via torrent etc

is it possible to do this, pleas five me some model or suggestion and possible some guide link on how to do it

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
mac address of every pc/laptop is unique & is used to identify it like a fingerprint.many cable isp use this to restrict net access to a single system.you can get around this by using mac cloning/spoofing option in your router which allows your router to mimic any mac address.use that to set your router mac address to mac address of your pc(you can find mac address by running ipconfig /all in command prompt & looking at physical address of your ethernet adapter).after this you just need to login from your pc & then every device connected to router will get net access.

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
thanks whitestar, the guys who is providing me net service, says when i will get the wifi router, he will reset the mac setting on his server so i can use router, now my question is

1) do i need router or modem router ?
2) will i be able to access internet from wifi, due to this mac thing address thing?
3) i want to keep the router download via torrent witout pc turning on? is this possible suggest model ?
4) what range the router will provide me ?

also have never used any wifi router earlier so totally noob into this, help me

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
1.modem router is need for broadband through telephone line(bsnl,mtnl,airtel,reliance),all others need simple router.
2.already posted the solution above.
3.asus rt-n13u b1 but you need a bit of technical expertise configuring it.take a look here to get an idea:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/173578-dd-wrt-transmission-configuration-asus-rt-n13u.html
4.depends on many factors like house design,construction material type etc.read flipkart comments regarding range(1 bedroom,2 bedroom etc) but it should work fine for 2bhk apartment(not sure about corners/balcony though,like i said various factors).

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
ok thanks, what is the cheapest and best option for me to if i dont want downloading featuer, it shoudl work with android phone, linux pc etc

also in my desktop pc i can only add extra hardware with usb, so can anyone please help me with any good usb wifi card for desktop pc, please suggest i will be buying this week

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
ok ordering now, final suggestion friends
with a wifi which works with Android phone, linux, and windwos pc, with good coverage strength and easy to setup

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
no my point is it should not give problem with android phone and range should be good, suggest some good model based on experience

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as far as i know i never read about android phones having issues with popular wifi routers of any good brand here(& if it does then most likely its device fault not router) but i have no experience regarding this so your choice.

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
what is the different between 150 mbps and 300 mbps router, which one is good home use

which one is good

[h=1]TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless N Router (TL-WR740N)[/h]
[h=1]TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N Router (TL-WR841N)[/h]

Top Bottom