WIreless Internet For College

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
hai,
i need help;
i have been elected as a member of the Union in my college:)(Royal college of Engineering technology,kerela)

:?:so my question is that,im plannin to propose to the management of the college for Wifi Capability in the campus:lol:.Bt i dont have a clue where to start:!:.
our college is having a bsnl broadband connection(10 Mbps,dedicated line).

What all shud i knw before i go talk to the Management.What will be the approximate estimate for same.
Thanx in advance.

OP
sanoob.tv

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
thnx 4 d help,bt i dnt knw what config should the router should have to have a wide range?
approx 150 mtr radius

sanjeev_sauw

Right off the assembly line
Dear Sanoob,
To start with you can do the following :-
1. Use your BSNL connection and configure a wireless router (Linksys,netgear, datalink etc) to the same PC. procedure for setting up the router is provided in the booklet of the router which comes along with router.
2. Do Internet sharing by activating ICS.
3. Use a laptop having WiFi connection to access the internet away from the router. For PC you have to add additional hardware i.e. PCI compatible wireless card.
Remember : By activating ICS you will be sharing the BW of the internet connection. Once you achieve this then you can set up 'Hot Spots' at various locations in the college.

Ashwini

Right off the assembly line
That will be limited to 100 ft to start with testing, totally depending your router antenna signals.

khmadhu

change is constant!!
in my point of view.
u need a high end switch to which all the wifi routers are connected, and then u can setup easily.
well it depends on the area of the college.and number of wireless users.
for 10mbps link having atleast 8 wifi router is a good idea..

few more tips..

10 tips for improving your wireless network

10 Ways To Boost Your WiFi Signal

Top Bottom