Wireless Data Transfer between 2 centrinos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
is it possible to trasfer data between 2 centrinos?

two models are dell inspiron 700m and 510m ... whenever they are on and kept near to each other they both show "wireless network detected" Signal - Excellent

If at all wireless data transfer is possible, how do we proceed?

theraven

Technomancer
do the following on each of ur computers

goto network conections from control panel
right clicko n ur wireless lan card
goto tcp ip and click on properties ( or double click on tcp/ip )

give one the ip address 192.168.0.1
the other the ip address of 192.168.0.2

give them both subnet masks of 255.255.255.0 ( should be default )
and leave gateway and dns alone

now goto the wirless networks tab
and below click on "add"

ull get a new screen askin u some stuff

SSID : name for ur wireless connection
give the same name on both computers
set the other details as required and choose " this is an adhoc network"

not this wireless network settings should be same on BOTH laptops.
now when it says wireless network found. it should also connect automatically
now from one try pinging the otehr ..
meanin goto command prompt and type in 192.168.0.x
x being 1 or 2 depending on the ip of the pc ur pinging.
if u get a reply everything is well n good

now ull need to share files on each pc. ... or login as admin on both pcs to access default admin shares ...

access the pc by using its ip address in the address bar of windows explorer .. as follws

Code:
\\192.168.0.x

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
haha..that was just too good... thanks raven...its working great. data transfer is fast too ! BIG THANkS :)

one more query tho... i connect 700m to the net via reliance mobile handset. can i configure 510m to access net via 700m using wireless? I think if one can do it using LAN... this should work too..

harish_21_10

In the zone
I want to connect my PC(not laptop but desktop) with my friend's,i want to set up a wireless network...so what all i will be needing?There are many obstructions between our pc's,the walls i mean.So will it be helpfull or should we go for LAN to LAN cable network thing?
And if cable network then for more than 2 pc should we use a hub or switch?which of these has better data transfer rate and better for multiplayer gaming?
PLS HELP

Ringwraith

Journeyman
harish_21_10 said:
I want to connect my PC(not laptop but desktop) with my friend's,i want to set up a wireless network...so what all i will be needing?There are many obstructions between our pc's,the walls i mean.So will it be helpfull or should we go for LAN to LAN cable network thing?
And if cable network then for more than 2 pc should we use a hub or switch?which of these has better data transfer rate and better for multiplayer gaming?
PLS HELP
yepp i want to do a similar thing...I have a PC, while my friend has a wireless-enabled laptop, and we want to set up this wireless network...
any pointers?

theraven

Technomancer
walls in india are thick
will definitely lead to signal loss
if ur right behind the wall from each other then it might just work
however since ur so close and its feasible and more economic ( also more effective ) i suggest u to go for a wired connection ( lan to lan )

for 2 computers , no u dun need a switch or a hub
just get urselves a long enough cross over cable ;)

shariq_pj

Broken In
If I had to transfer data from my PC to Laptop using wireless how should that b done...? Is there any wireless connector available to connect to the PC...?

harish_21_10

In the zone
theraven said:
for 2 computers , no u dun need a switch or a hub
just get urselves a long enough cross over cable ;)
For now just two of us planning for a lan connection but later,pretty soon,some more might join us...so what should we use then?hub or switch?and why

theraven

Technomancer
search for difference between hub and switch its there on the forum afaik
anyways ull need a switch
get enough ports on the switch so all of the users can join

btw in this case ull need straight cables running to the switch
remember this lil rule
if the hardware is same ( pc - pc, switch - switch) u need crossovercable
if the hardware is different ( pc - switch ) then u need straight cables.

@shariq man ur way out of the wireless networking market arent u ??
if ur laptop already has wireless inbuilt all u need is a wireless pci card for ur pc
will cost u ard 2.2k for a good linksys one

if ur laptop also doesnt have wireless then u need to get a PCMCIA wireless card which will cost u ard 2.5 k
after that follow my isntructions as above

akash_dubey

Right off the assembly line
laptop and PC is showing connected to same SSID, but both are not accessing each other.

PC = 192.168.0.1
Laptop = Automatic ( taking 192.168.0.x )

digen

Youngling
Why automatic IP addressing for the laptop ?

Dude on top off my head it seems both the machines are having the same IP for example in your case 192.168.0.1.

Give the laptop a static IP like 192.168.0.2 with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

I suggest you read through raven's post in this very thread.

akash_dubey

actually, i missed to tell in last post that before making it automatic , i used 192.168.0.2

i made it to automatic because in my last experiment with hub, system worked with automatic cofiguration.

digen

Youngling
When you had the static IP 192.168.0.2,were you able tp ping 192.168.0.1 & vice versa?

Configure it as static & try pinging now.Oh btw before you proceed please disable any firewall you have on both systems including the Windows firewall.

akash_dubey

okke ...

by making many combinations of setting i am able to connect both ( Laptop & PC ). i see the files on Network Places.

now problem is ... i am unable to get internet access on laptop via ICS .

situation ...

PC ... connected to internet via LAN card

laptop is connected to PC via Wi-Fi usb dongle.

i tried with Home networking wizard and advance options available in lan connection of wi-fi.

theraven

Technomancer
search for my tutorial marked "sharing net connection over LAN" in the tutorial section
infact it hink i provided the link in this thread in my second post ..
check

akash_dubey

that was already tried before posting last message. i only need ICS, not any proxy software as there is restrictions in using internet through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom