WinXP SP2. How much RAM reqd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
2 simple qs guys.

how much min ram is recommended for installing winxp sp2 ? also can one only install it on a 'genuine' winxp or ... ?

ive got a P4, 2GHz CPU, 128MB RAM.
and my winxp sp1 came with my hardware... :oops:

can i and shud i install sp2 or not ?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
anandk said:
2 simple qs guys.

how much min ram is recommended for installing winxp sp2 ? also can one only install it on a 'genuine' winxp or ... ?

and my OS came with my hardware... :oops:

can i and shud i install it or not ?

SP2 does not have any additional system requirements. If XP works fine so will SP2. Recommended amount of RAM is 256 MB.
You can only install it on genuine XP and should do so as soon as possible.

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
nothing! as such... known to be the system requirements for SP2 .. just for fun! u asked this huh!! :wink:

i know everyone knows tht much!!!

& yeah! it installs on valid XP keys only! in other words! on original windows but i'm not convinced with the latter definition of original windows! :x

anandk said:
2 simple qs guys.

and my OS came with my hardware... :oops:

can i and shud i install it or not ?

yea....sp2 can ONLY b installed on a system running on genuie winxp only!
the recommended ram is 266 mb, but u may want to give ur comp a shot of an extra pair of ram modules if ur planning to play games n all!

if u got ur comp assembled, then maybe the winxp on ur comp is a pirated version. but u may try to install sp2. one of digit's dvds featured the update package...

chiao!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
also can one only install it on a 'genuine' winxp or ... ?

as we dont answer those here... but one little tip.... got to www.google.com & do a search with ur question, with the letter part of the question (what u realy wanted to mean...)...

hope google uncle will give u the right answer..... or just click the button after "Prifile"......

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Windows XP hits a "sweet spot " at 512 MB " so thats the perfect amount of ram any thing above will not give you that kind of performance enhansment and any thing lower will cause disk thrasshing. Also with the dual channel memory controller setup in there days mobo I would suggest you go in for two 256MB DIMMS.
Regarding the minimum RAM i have seen people run XP with 64MB but thats a compromise.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
well u shld have got the answers i suppose.. but then...

@drvarun XP needs min only 64 mb and not 256 mb :)

futuristically_ancient said:
yea....sp2 can ONLY b installed on a system running on genuie winxp only!

:roll: who said so?:shock: its jus that its not allowed out here in the forum as the rules say so! thats all :)

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
drvarunmehta said:
bharathbala2003 said:
I know that it can run on 64 MB but he asked the recommended RAM which is 256 MB.

Microsoft recommends min sys req as 128mb and not 64mb. pc will be killed if you run xp on 64. nothing else apart from xp will run. Also ram comes so cheap. why 64?

devilhead_satish

In the zone
256 MB is reccomended for smooth functioining. If it is lower than that, turn of all the visual effects and turn of the Services you dont need.

escape7

What? Where? How?
man i've got 256 mb, and have disabled few of the visual effects and the services which i don't need. After installing sp2 it has become slower. the right click menu takes 4 seconds to show up. kind'a irritating.

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
escape7 U can try the following! ... if U r feeling the right click taking toooooo much time ......

delete the "open with" option in right click menu from the registry! .. & see if it helps U ..

& yeah! U need to delete it from the registry editor! follow the path ... type regedit at "run" ... HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT >> * >> shellex >> contextmenuhandlers >> openwith .then in the right panel double click the entry & copy it somewhere else first & then delete it! from tht place ..

I mean remove tht key value from there .. & restart .. if this solves ur problem then congrats U r done! ..& in case it doesnt .. then plzz just paste back the key entry back to its place so tht U can get back ur option! of openwith in right-click menu :D

Its a suggestion & safe so U can try this out! do tell me if this thing helped U or not!
gud luck byee !! :roll:

kiran_k

Broken In
Escape7 just perform basic maintainence on ur system. ex-disk defrag, removing junk files, registry cleanup, etc-simply use system mechanic 4/5/ or 5.5,
ur sys will be superb.
here u can perform tweaks as to after how long the menu should pop up.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
navjotjsingh said:
drvarunmehta said:
bharathbala2003 said:
I know that it can run on 64 MB but he asked the recommended RAM which is 256 MB.

Microsoft recommends min sys req as 128mb and not 64mb. pc will be killed if you run xp on 64. nothing else apart from xp will run. Also ram comes so cheap. why 64?

is it so :roll: :lol: man xp will run on a 64MB ram.. but u cant feel the whole experience thats all :) and yes ram prices are cheaper but its upto to the user to decide if he should upgrade or not :wink:

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
bharathbala2003 said:
navjotjsingh said:
drvarunmehta said:
bharathbala2003 said:

is it so :roll: :lol: man xp will run on a 64MB ram.. but u cant feel the whole experience thats all :) and yes ram prices are cheaper but its upto to the user to decide if he should upgrade or not :wink:

But what will he do on a 64 ram - sit ducks. It has become necessity to upgrade to 256 or more. He has no other option. Even I was forced to do it on a 98 m/c. So a must on xp with or without sp2.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
ahh man i dunno wat he will do mayb play roadrash :wink: jus kiddin.. but m8 i know u cant feel the effects.. esp if u wanna tweak ya sys.. but then id also recomend him to go for a 512 mb with min 266 Mhz bus speed.. but he asked us only the ram req to run and 64 is sufficient to jus RUN the OS.. so let him decide wat to do :)

escape7

What? Where? How?
@yehmeriidhain & @kiran_k, none of ur suggestions worked, my system is still slow with 256 mb of ram. :(

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
anyway, i finally installed sp2 on my 128 ram pc, and updated it with autopatcher, and its working just fine !!!! strongly suggest everyone do it. and no, it didnt ask for any key. :D

rohanbee

Padawan
Well good for you. But frankly at 512mb of ram i still think its slow and wanna upgrade to 1 gb, but i guess if it works for let no one tell you otherwise.
But one point o do want to make that all software companies do tend to tell us the minimum requirements of ram and at those specs that software hardly ever preforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom