WindowsXP User Accounts - Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitall Charisma

I’m back with another problem though this time it is Folder Security. To be specific I want to deny others access to certain folders.

I have a P4 machine running Windows XP Pro [Config not required since it is totally OS related]. Besides the built in admin account there are two more created by me.
(1) My own account [group: Administrators]
(2) Another account [group: Users]

Out of my six partitions [C,D,E,F,G,H] C,D and F are NTFS while the others are FAT32. I mainly work in XP and drive F: contains my important documents and downloads. Of late I found out users who are using the other account (let it be X) have tampered few of my data. How can they do all these when they have only ‘User’ privileges? Doesn’t XP deny them access?
I know about ‘File Encryption’ in XP but I don’t want to use it here [why? That’s a different story]. I went for further Administrative measures & tools but to no avail. According to ‘Help & Support Center’, I disabled “Use Simple File Sharing�. Then I right-clicked the desired folder and went to the ‘security’ tab. What happened after that I don’t want to recall. All I can say is one & half hours went by but I could not find any solution.

Tell me how do you prevent access to specific folders in XP. Please help me out somebody… anybody

>>>Digitall Charisma<<<

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
I think that can be done only on the NTFS file partitions!!!!

And, i donno abt making folder secure for just administrators... I know that u can secure ur My Documents folder... no other user will be able to even view it!!!

You might want to make ur folder secure by turning'em into Recycle Bins...(SEARCH FOR THE TOPIC PLZ)
But, i think it would be troublesome for you that way!!

Well, i'll be waiting for someone to answer ur post too!! Mayb there is a WAY to make any folder behave like a My Documents Folder

ALSO, does anyone know howto make ANY FOLDER on WINXP to look like the WINDOWS folder? i.e. to be hidden !!!

Vyasram

The pWnster
Goto control panel > Folder Options > View

Uncheck Simple file sharing

Now visit ur folder and goto properties > Security and grant access to admin only

sakumar79

Technomancer
Right click on the folder/drive and select "Sharing and Security". Go to the Security Tab... In the Group or User Name, add entries for each non-admin user... For each of these entries, check Deny for "Full Control" (all other options automatically become Deny... Note: Do NOT do this for the group Users or Everyone because Deny permissions overrule Allow permissions...

Cleaner method: Create a new group, say NonAdmin... Assign all users of non-admin priviledges to this group... Then do the above for the group NonAdmin instead of each user one by one...

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom