Windows XP to be retired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
@ Zeeshan: Ubuntu support is more about community support than the company support.Ask some doubt about Breezy in ubuntu forums and you will still get nice help for it.And also consider what infra_red_dude said.
To all those who believe Vista sucks: It doesn't.It's better than Windows XP In_my_humble_opinion.And it is performing better than XP on my machine in regard of everything from start-up shut-down time,UI responsiveness and even in handling non-responsive tasks.This, on my below par machine.So it's time to get over the XP craze now.;)

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
it was due to happen ....but its ok naa , support is till there we are going to get patches , updates etc ...so why there is any need for worry ,EOL is 2014 for that long time to go on , till then enjpy windows Xp with service packs

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
@infra , @shady

Nah i did not intend to do have any giht .

I only replied to Hitboxx's post about switching over to Linux as XP is retiring :)

Also , i don't use vista much(doesn't run on my PC , but neighbour's) , but even for the time i've used it on a reasonable machine(1Gig RAM , P4 , 6600 ) It works perfectly fine .

Yup , Ubuntu is about community support , but canonical does provide paid support and i was talking about paid support of Both OS'es .

Also , support means releasing updated drivers for OS and drivers for latest components . As canonical has Retired support for Ubuntu 5.10 , it will not be getting the latest drivers .

This way XP is better coz MS will provide drivers uptil atleast 2009(8 Years) and then till 2014 Too if a company releases an XP certified product .

@Infra , true , Ubuntu has 6 Month release cycle and Win has 5 Years so MS retiring support for XP after 13 years is pretty good i'd say .

But i still feel Canonical shuold support Ubuntu releases for Atleast 3 Years(i know bout LTS but it shud be for all) , coz it's very cumbersome to re-install Ubuntu after 6 months(as Distro Upgrade often results in a mess)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Letz not turn it to a Win Lin thread again, Zeeshan :)

About support; when it comes to Linux support has a different name altogether. Its not about driver updates and stuff :)

Anyways, lets continue the XP discussion :)

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Guys it is a 7 year old OS! Let it retire in peace and move one.
What is wrong with Vista?
Nearly each and every hardware released in the past 3 4 years is supported.
Round about all the softwares are Vista Compatible.

Its works faster and gives a faster response on the Dual Cores and 2Gb rigs of today than XP does.
It is rocksolid stable, i have not seen my Vista crash on me because of faulty drivers or any of the so called "insane Windows bluescreens".

The only crashes i can recount are those given by the v3 range of Bluesoleil drivers, which have been superceded by v5 and gives a very seamless bluetooth integration in the Vista shell.

If anyone remembers , XP was labelled as crap and bloatware too when it was released . Win98 supporters hated it .

same thing is happening to vista...

windows sp3 support upto 2010...

windows xp support upto April 2014...

but windows xp will not be for sale by mid 2008... as ms is planning to concentrate on vista...

year 2008 will be VISTA's....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom