Windows XP Home and Professional Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumarn_2004

In the zone
· What is the difference between Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional Edition? Your detailed reply in simple language, please.
· If we know the name of a person, but we do not know his e-mail or web site addresses, then what and how to know his e-mail or website addresses.
· How to know the e-mail or website addresses (subject-wise or business-wise)?
Your illustrated reply,please.

abhi_shake

Broken In
Pro has more security features than Home. It's security features are a bit advanced for LAN i.e. u can configure more, although there is not much gain in these features.

If u do not use broadband or lan buy the home version as it is much cheaper than the PRO.(Home costs 100$ whereas Pro costs 200$ !!!!!!!!!)

Overall both of them are the same, it's just microsoft's way of making money!!!!!!!!!!!

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey abhi_shake , i am planning to get the BSNL dataone boradband connection and also planning to buy an original copy of Win XP home . As u said that i should not use xp home for braoadband , can i know why not and what are the risks ? I will be using Kaspersky Antivirus and Kaspersky Antihacker firewall with the XP home edition , will that be enough to make my system secure ? I realy cant afford to buy XP prof with its over the top price tag.

abhi_shake

Broken In
mohit said:- As u said that i should not use xp home for braoadband , can i know why not and what are the risks ?

I did not say that u should NOT use Win xp home for broadband. My friend has win xp home and he uses Sify broadband and he faces no problems. Hence u can go ahead and use xp home for broadband.

It's just that xp pro has some more security features which an average person like u or me is not going to use that extensively, and it is more sensible to install the home version. :wink: :wink:

Actually there is a very thin line which diffrentiates between these two OS's. You should look at the links povided by Indyan above they will clear your doubts.

so for you it's home all the way :!: :!: :lol: :lol:

sagar_coolx

Journeyman
Actually,the security features u are provided in xp pro are not enough to keep u totally safe.
so,u can use a zonealarm firewall with xp home.I think it will be much secure than only xp home and cost u much less.

Ashootosh

Broken In
I think the main difference is between the services. XP pro is providing some very useful services which is not the part of home edition....... the service which I would like to mention specifically is IIS (internet information service), which is part of xp pro but not that of home. There r more services which r found on XP pro but not on home

Dipen01

Youngling
hey there...

after reading this is it that now i cannot connect LAN between 2 PC's with Win XP home... coz i have 2 machines both Win XP pro connected thru LAN.....
i was thinking to swithching to WIn XP home.. on only one machine..just for a change....

cant I do this... pls.. elaborate...

Cheers..
Dipen

theraven

Technomancer
yes u can
networkin is suppoted from all os's win 95 and up !
and y would u SHIFT to winxp home ? i still dun understand !

digen

Youngling
If you are considering deploying windows xp as a client OS for a network which is scalable then Pro is definately a way to go as the Home version doesnt support domain environment.
So it boils down to a simple thing,where exactly are you going to deploy it? what exactly are you looking for?features?

Dipen01

Youngling
hey there...

No....no.. not features... just thought of switching for a change... though i know i case of interface it will be same.. still had in mind since long to use Home... one more thing.. one is Pro and other is Home.. so i guess there will be no prob in setting up LAN.. rite..?? do i need to configure in different way... pls lemme know...
anywys... thanx...

Cheers..
Dipen

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
This gives you complete difference between XP Home and Professional Edition.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom